5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't care how good that automatic car wash is or how much you paid, when you do it by hand it just comes out looking great! The towels I leave for an hour after I wash it to get all of the drips from the hatch door. (hate those drips)

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
778 Posts
looking good CJ. you should always wipe out your door jambs, hatch/trunk jamb and gas door lid...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Actually, I find that commercial car washes tend to leave MILLIONS of micro-scratches in the surface of the clearcoat. Additionally, many car washes REUSE the water over and over and over. The fine particulates in the water also scratch the clearcoat.These scratches are seen in direct sunlight when viewed from an angle.

Hence, I prefer hand washing with ZYMOL ( https://www.zymol.com/ ) cleaner and wax using well-water.

If you really want a primo finish.... hand polish side/side on horizontal surfaces and up/down on vertical. Personally, I use a quality orbital buffer to apply and polish the ZYMOL.

·
Administrator
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I find that commercial car washes tend to leave MILLIONS of micro-scratches in the surface of the clearcoat. Additionally, many car washes REUSE the water over and over and over. The fine particulates in the water also scratch the clearcoat.These scratches are seen in direct sunlight when viewed from an angle.

Hence, I prefer hand washing with ZYMOL ( https://www.zymol.com/ ) cleaner and wax using well-water.

If you really want a primo finish.... hand polish side/side on horizontal surfaces and up/down on vertical. Personally, I use a quality orbital buffer to apply and polish the ZYMOL.
Zymol was premium when it came out and I loved it but there are better products now.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I certainly did not mean to start a 'wax war' :) .... I encourage folks to use whatever they like.

For myself (hand washing/waxing my cars for over 35 years), I have made my own choices.
1) NO SYNTHETIC WAX --- (carnauba based wax for me)
-- Rain causes synthetic wax to get washed from the roof of the car onto the glass. It is VERY difficult to remove from the glass.
2) Must not be difficult to buff out and not leave white marks where not desired. (rubber, trim...etc)
3) Lasting PROTECTION rather than shine.
-- the 'protection' allows dirt to simply rinse off the paint when it rains.

I must be doing something right because when I trade a car in, they ALWAYS comment on how the paint-finish appears.

I have to admit, I no longer HAND apply the wax and HAND buff it out. After 2 hours, my arms are like rubber. Hence, I changed to using orbital-buffer for these tasks.

·
Administrator
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I certainly did not mean to start a 'wax war' :) .... I encourage folks to use whatever they like.

For myself (hand washing/waxing my cars for over 35 years), I have made my own choices.
1) NO SYNTHETIC WAX --- (carnauba based wax for me)
-- Rain causes synthetic wax to get washed from the roof of the car onto the glass. It is VERY difficult to remove from the glass.
2) Must not be difficult to buff out and not leave white marks where not desired. (rubber, trim...etc)
3) Lasting PROTECTION rather than shine.
-- the 'protection' allows dirt to simply rinse off the paint when it rains.

I must be doing something right because when I trade a car in, they ALWAYS comment on how the paint-finish appears.

I have to admit, I no longer HAND apply the wax and HAND buff it out. After 2 hours, my arms are like rubber. Hence, I changed to using orbital-buffer for these tasks.
WAX WARS! LOL its ok Bruce I am an old guy as well, not a fan of these new spray on products that is why I like the Goldclass carnauba wax. I hate when wax gets onto black rubber! You can never get it off! I have even bought products that claim they get the wax off of the rubber but after a month you can see it again! Car paints certainly aren't what they used to be! These days the paints are made with consideration for the environment and I find them too soft and too easily chipped. Old paint was much better.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I personally like the Griot's 6" orbital for all my waxing/buffing needs. this one tool is amazing with that it can do. a quick change of pads and it can buff even the worst paint back into shape. I also use Griot's one step paint sealer and 3 in 1 wax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts