1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
78 Posts
No, the new Impreza won't be affecting the Honda Civic sales especially the Honda enthusiasts. The article didn't provide much info on their claim but I assume one point that would draw potential civic buyers over to Impreza would be the longevity of the vehicle which Subaru claims to be the longest lasting in its class. No idea if that's true until years after the vehicle has been out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Honda also has the advantage of a product that people have more confidence in which to the average buyer that doesn't know a whole lot about cars and wants to play it safe... will more than likely go Honda than Subaru. They might even consider Toyota before even looking at Subaru.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you both. I mean, although in kind of the same segment, they appeal to two markets separately in a sense. Majority will definitely head the Honda/Toyota route though as they have a history that has built trust among consumers which is a key thing

·
Registered
78 Posts
Subaru may need to think of ways to draw in customers from other brands, maybe give them good finance deals or throw in a few accessories for free.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good finance deals will help to attract the average customer even more but just offering up a great product can do it alone. Plus it's not like Subaru's are cheap, so already it weeds out a lot of people that are looking for something affordable. These are for those looking for more.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea ... better pricing and just showing and proving that it's a great product. It's one thing to spew out as many specifications you possibly can, it's another thing to demonstrate and show people why it's the better choice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not going to be as easy for them as it was years ago, now they have korean brands that are working to scoop up the demand they once had, and it seems like subaru is losing what it once had that people were attracted to. Hopefully though they'll come out on top with what they're trying to target.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is true.. looking at all of the different segments today, from full EV to super sedans, it's all really darn tight. Manufacturers are stepping their game up way beyond what they were ever expected of from say 2-5 years ago. The next 3-4 years are going to be extremely hectic

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am currently debating between the civic si and impreza limited hatchback. I like the sporty drive and reliability of the civic si. I like the cargo space available in impreza but I am wary of the head unit issues being reported.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I gather there is another update released a few days ago which fixes some of the infotainment issues,however since owning ours since April we havent encountered any of the problems some are mentioning on here, this could be in due to the fact our Aussie models are sourced from Japan and something may be diff from the US spec. We looked at the civic but after driving the impreza were swayed to sacrifice slight decrease in power for a more refined ride. Test drive both and see how you go

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think Subaru worked pretty hard on this generation Impreza to improve the styling & to try attract younger buyers, but I don't think it will have much affect on Honda or other brands sales in general. I love this generation Impreza. The last one was too much of a granny looking car both inside & out. I said "pretty hard" because the engine is obviously lacking some HP, but to some I don't think that matters. What matters most to some consumers is price, reliability & MPG. Consumers buy Subaru vehicles mainly for the AWD convenience in my opinion & they always will. Although I'm a first time Subaru owner, I would definitely purchase another Subaru, because of the superior AWD capability in a compact car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am currently debating between the civic si and impreza limited hatchback. I like the sporty drive and reliability of the civic si. I like the cargo space available in impreza but I am wary of the head unit issues being reported.
I was once in that predicament. I chose the Impreza. Customer service (yes, that does matter) was a big issue with ALL of my "local" Honda dealerships. Between potential customer relations and shoddy/predatory business tactics used at the Honda dealerships I went to I narrowed it down to a Subaru. No to mention the Honda dealerships would not price match for a vehicle or even budge from MSRP (and thats with $15k down, cash-in-hand).

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,168 Posts
I do not believe people would cross shop a Hondah with an Impreza, maybe if the person lives in the N. East or other high snow areas they might consider a Legacy. In my area Foresters and CRVs are very common.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It really depends upon why you are buying the car??? Head unit issue isn't as bad as some make it sound but, regardless, still an "issue". If I didn't need or want AWD and wanted something sporty with real performance, the Honda would be my pick. All goes back to what you are looking for and the impetus behind your purchase.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I drove the Civic before my Impreza buy in 17 and besides more HP from Honda's 1.5 I did not think it drove more sharply/sporty. The seating was to low for me also. Visibility and safety trump the Civic IMO. Throw in AWD and it was a easy choice for me. Obviously, the SI and type R lean more towards WRX/STI performance levels and did not reflect my comparison

·
Registered
377 Posts
...... I like the cargo space available in impreza but I am wary of the head unit issues being reported.

If the head-unit is REALLY your only reason to not go with Impreza... you are making a HUGE mistake. In the end, this is an AUTOMOBLE intended to move your ass from point A to point B in a reliable fashion.

The head-unit may have some niggling issues... but certainly not "problems" . Some folks are picky about how things behave and make a big deal out of nothing.

It is my understanding that the most-resent software update corrects some of the niggling issues with head-unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked at the civic hatchback sport. The interior was really cheap looking. I chose a 2019 impreza sport 5 door. I am having issues with losing my preset stations on my head unit. This is annoying but not a deal breaker. I am told there is a software update that will fix this. I am enjoying my Subaru. Going to snow tonight and I'll bet I will really like my car tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
The civic hatch is ugly IMO. On the positive side it does have a nice range of power plants and the type R is a WRX killer for now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts