5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I have a 2019 Impreza Hatch and was wondering what normal operating temperatures were. I am normally driving in 90ºF+ weather in Florida. My temps when under load and driving on 275 are pushing 219ºF Oil and 203ºF Coolant. Max, oil will get up to 230ºF. These don't seem normal. I am using a Bluetooth OBDII adapter paired with Torque.

These temperatures do concern me. Should I be?

·
Registered
542 Posts
oil NEEDS to approach boiling point of water (212) so it can boil off condensation within it.

do not forget there is a 'heat exchanger' which has all 3 (coolant,xmission,oil) flowing thru it. this tends to 'share' any excessive thermal loads among them.

QUESTION: what do you consider "normal"?

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
140 Posts
Like Bruce said, oil temp is critical to help remove moisture out of the oil. I was under the impression water would start evaporating at around 185 degrees, but the end goal is the same between what we are saying. I've found manual transmission Impreza's tend to run hotter oil temps (Mine has seen 230 as well) due to higher RPM at same speed as CVT. Keep in mind the Imprezas don't have an oil warmer either, so little to no oil cooling capabilities outside of quantity.

Side note: I had a 2017 that had high oil consumption and one of the key indicators for me that something was happening was my oil temp rising. If you feel this is high, go ahead and validate your oil level and this will bring the temps back down slightly.

All in all, what you're experiencing is perfectly normal. Thermal efficiency is key to meet EPA mandates, so cars running hotter is becoming much more common.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Sport Hatch
61 Posts
Going across the state in mid summer I reached 230 on oil temp. Changed it just because it was due after the trip and had nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tend to be on the same temperature scale ….2017 Impreza sport ; not much change even with cooler temperatures on the outside ( which make sense _ as it’s not air cooled after all ) running @ or above 80MPH extended trips ( 1.5 hours to work) anywhere between 219 - 225F ; I guess/hope that’s ok :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys! Yeah, sometimes I'll be running 75-85mph to keep up with Florida traffic so that's why it runs a bit warmer. Hearing your feedback makes me less concerned but still something to always monitor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts