5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

· Registered
1,189 Posts
I finally got around to installing my Mishimoto Oil Catch Can in my Son's 2017 Impreza Limited now that he's home for winter break. Took about 15 minutes to do. I mounted mine to the same bolt at the firewall that was previously posted by another member. My steps were as follows:

1. Remove the air intake hose by loosening two hose clamps
2. Remove the stock PCV hose
3. Mount the Oil Catch Can to the firewall using 10mm bolt
4. Install cut to length 3/8" ID fuel line hose from the PCV valve to the input side of the catch can
5. Install cut to length 3/8" ID fuel line hose from the catch can's output side to the intake
6. Reinstall the air intake hose and tighten the two hose clamps
7. BAM...DONE!

A very easy project for any novice and cost me under $100 to do. I won't see this car again until my son comes back home for Spring break but it will be interesting to see what the can captures. I am not expecting much as the car is a CVT and not manual and also has the updated Subaru PCV valve as part of Subaru's TSB.

Merry Christmas everyone!

· Registered
23 Posts
catch can has been on my list. depending on the oil, i seem to burn a good qt withing 4-5k miles. I'm still trying to nerd out and assess all variables and oil configurations. Been running Penzoil Platinum 0w-20 now with decent luck. I heard Quaker runs quieter?

· Registered
2018 Sport Hatch 5-Speed Manual
297 Posts
I'm looking into installing a catch can very soon. I read through the thread and studied the pictures and see the catch can is taking vapors from the PCV. I was looking at the engine and it looks like there are some breather hoses coming off of the valve covers as well, but I'm not quite sure what they are. Anyone have some insight?

· Registered
804 Posts
it's an inherent flaw with DI engines, honestly I don't know why manufacturers don't have an air/oil separator installed on DI engines...
Apparently you are not aware that the Subaru FB engine DOES have a centrifugal oil separator. I believe it is on the end of camshaft.

Subaru even has a PATENT for it. (feel free to look up the patent if you desire)

· Registered
106 Posts
Apparently you are not aware that the Subaru FB engine DOES have a centrifugal oil separator. I believe it is on the end of camshaft.

Subaru even has a PATENT for it. (feel free to look up the patent if you desire)
Actually I am aware of that. The air oil separator that's part of the rotational assembly was mentioned in either this thread or another thread related to direct injection, however it is clearly not perfect considering that oil is being consumed through the PCV. Also, Subaru =/= all manufacturers. The simple design of a catch can or external A/O Separator seems much more fool proof and far easier to maintain.

· Registered
804 Posts
Actually I am aware of that. The air oil separator that's part of the rotational assembly was mentioned in either this thread or another thread related to direct injection, however it is clearly not perfect considering that oil is being consumed through the PCV. Also, Subaru =/= all manufacturers. The simple design of a catch can or external A/O Separator seems much more fool proof and far easier to maintain.
Unfortunately, most drivers do not even take the time to open the hood weekly to check things out. Adding a can which collects stinky oil which needs to be 'maintained' is unlikely to happen.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,747 Posts
I know this thread is on the old side but I'm considering installing one myself so I've been searching around. I like the idea of mounting it on the firewall. I do have a nameless strut tower bar coming so I wonder if that will complicate the issue of mounting and access after the fact. I did find a good video on the subject worth checking out if you want to learn more about catch cans.

· Registered
2017 Impreza Touring 5dr
241 Posts
I know this thread is on the old side but I'm considering installing one myself so I've been searching around. I like the idea of mounting it on the firewall. I do have a nameless strut tower bar coming so I wonder if that will complicate the issue of mounting and access after the fact. I did find a good video on the subject worth checking out if you want to learn more about catch cans.

Hey, I have a cusco bar and it is right in the way... 2 bolts to remove the bar isn't so bad tho...

I got around tho... I have 2 cans installed so I linked them together on a valve and the discharge can go wherever, now the bar doesn't have to come out either :) * yes the discharge tube is longer, that was for mockup

· Registered
368 Posts
Can everybody stop using the word "tranny" to abbreviate the word transmission. It's even easier to just use "trans". This day and age, I'm pretty sure "tranny" means something else completely.

Hi Caitlyn Jenner, Welcome to Tacoma World! I guess you had to replace that Escalade you killed that Woman with.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,747 Posts
41 - 60 of 65 Posts