5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my wagon back for the 3rd time for excessive oil consumption issues.. light has come on four times since i bought it... a little over 10,000 miles... anyone else encounter this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm assuming this is an Impreza? What year, which transmission? When checking the dipstick how much has the oil dropped in how many miles? Don't rely on the light, watch the dipstick and mileage.

Ask the dealer to do an oil consumption test. They will top up the oil and see how much is consumed over 1,200 miles. It's a standard test. Make sure they do not overfill with oil for the oil consumption test!!

Our 2018 only has 1,800 miles and has been fine. Our other 3 Outbacks (2011, 2013, 2014) have normal oil consumption as well. Subaru had a number of issues from 2013-2014 with 2.5 and 2.0 engines...manual transmission engines had the worst problems but oil consumption can happen in any model year. If indeed oil is not leaking and is being consumed they will probably replace the short block (engine without the heads).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming this is an Impreza? What year, which transmission? When checking the dipstick how much has the oil dropped in how many miles? Don't rely on the light, watch the dipstick and mileage.

Ask the dealer to do an oil consumption test. They will top up the oil and see how much is consumed over 1,200 miles. It's a standard test. Make sure they do not overfill with oil for the oil consumption test!!

Our 2018 only has 1,800 miles and has been fine. Our other 3 Outbacks (2011, 2013, 2014) have normal oil consumption as well. Subaru had a number of issues from 2013-2014 with 2.5 and 2.0 engines...manual transmission engines had the worst problems but oil consumption can happen in any model year. If indeed oil is not leaking and is being consumed they will probably replace the short block (engine without the heads).
I'm at the dealership right now. It is a 2017 impreza sport wagon, 5spd. If they run another consumption test this will be the 3rd test they have run on my car... I know not to rely on the light but, I was told to bring it in if the light keeps going on and not to add oil, which seems ignorant but, at this rate it is under warrantee.

·
Registered
232 Posts
At 3900 miles my Impreza Premium 5 door oil level still shows full. I assume you are saying
the oil level light is coming on, not the oil pressure light?

Clifton

·
Registered
45 Posts
What was the outcome at the dealer? How many miles since the oil was changed or topped off until the low oil light came on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm taking my wagon back for the 3rd time for excessive oil consumption issues.. light has come on four times since i bought it... a little over 10,000 miles... anyone else encounter this?
Exactly the same story with exactly same car. 5MT 2017 Impreza. The only difference is that light came up 4 times and my Impreza has only 8800 miles on clock. Its not that I didn't notice that oil consumption was "little" over the limit, but after 1st time my dealership wanted me to do test and light came up before I supposed stop for another test. Then they did another test, went back to dealership and I was told everything seemed normal. 900 miles later another light popped up. Lemon law?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Unless it is stated in the owners manual

It will burn 1 quart oil every 1000 miles or so then it is not normal.

More then normal oil consumption is defines as needing to add oil before the next service interval unless stated in the owners manual >:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you think I'm better off getting a lawyer(lemon law) or directly talking to SOA? I already spent way too much money and wasted too many work days while trying to get my car fixed. Just don't think SOA going to cover my expenses and not mention getting a replacement since I'm making payments on piece of crap. Just don't want to deal with that by myself as I don't have that much time. I'd rather spent that time with my family. Freaking frustrating...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Now that I started searching, there is tons of people with same problem. My guess is that SOA and IF they acknowledge the issue, would go with replacing shortblock and that's like I said big IF. With lemon latest least I'm covered as far as my expenses, financing charges and legal expenses would be covered by manufacturer as far as I know. But then again that's just guessing game and my wishful thinking.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You do not need a lawyer to lemon law your car. Read up on lemon laws in your state, follow the required procedures, and you can do it on your own, no problem. I had to do it with my Feb 2017 Impreza Sport already (Florida). Was a 45-50 days process, but it worked out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You do not need a lawyer to lemon law your car. Read up on lemon laws in your state, follow the required procedures, and you can do it on your own, no problem. I had to do it with my Feb 2017 Impreza Sport already (Florida). Was a 45-50 days process, but it worked out.
Really appreciate it. My was delivered pretty much the same time as yours. Would you mind to tell if you got a replacement or engine swap? Reimbursement? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
My issue was with the head unit and back up camera. I got a new car. Started the process in mid March, Subaru agreed to a new car in the middle of April when they ran out of time and could not fix the car while it was at the dealer for 10 straight days.

Look up your state laws. They will guide you. Some states have strong lemon laws (FL, for example), some are not that great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really appreciate it. I live in Wisconsin and looks like lemon law here is pretty straight forward. The only problem I have is that dealership didn't attempt to fix and rather do some testing. Not sure if that counts as fixing a problem. I just stopped over at dealership and NOW they want to do some digging and looking. They want me to leave my car for a week or so.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Every dealer visit counts towards the LL. Whether they did "testing" or attempted a repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2017 Impreza 5 Door Impreza Sport with a Manual Trans.

At 3,000 Miles the low oil level light came on and I took it in to the dealer. It burned through a full court. They filled it, sent me on my way, I didn?t think anything of it because of new engine break in.

Now I?m at 6,300 miles and the light is back on with 1.5 quarts of oil consumed. This seems to be too excessive for engine break in. What gives? I put a .5q in yesterday and today I had to empty a full quart in to it again. No visible leaks, no smoke, this doesn?t make since. This car is too new to be doing this.

The dealer service dept is doing the first oil change this week and running a oil consumption test.

So far the attitude I?ve gotten from the service dept is ?You bought a Subaru, they burn oil constantly, deal with it.?

First time Subaru Owner here.

-Keaton

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
No, Subaru's do not burn oil constantly. I believe the failure level of the oil consumption test is 1/3 quart in 1,200 miles. If that fails and dealer does nothing call Subaru customer service...the number is in your owners manual. The typical fix for this is a new short block.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts