5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sorry to hear the number of folks having these problems. :frown2::surprise::frown2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, what do you know. Had 4th warning @8800 as I mentioned before, put 1 qt and was watching level going down quick. Didn't want to add more, because wanted get another proof to my file. 680 miles later 5th warning popped out which was this morning. At dealership again and waiting for SOA response as they never called my dealership which I was told they would. Super pissed off.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sorry to hear the number of folks having these problems. :frown2::surprise::frown2:
Tell me about it, sort of happy that I take a while to buy any new car because often these things happen, after the launch year things improve and the odds of severe problems like this usually go away or don't have the capacity to send us back to the dealer too often.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just so you know the 17 and the 18 are IDENTICAL and the only change made was that the headlights come on automatically when you turn your wipers on. Whatever everyone is experiencing in the 2017 will be no different than in the 2018 except that the 2018 already has all of the software updates done that we had to have done at the dealer. The oil issue will be the same as ZERO changes were made to the engine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Excessive oil consumption is not a new model issue with Subaru . . . it seems to be an every model issue. :surprise:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just so you know the 17 and the 18 are IDENTICAL and the only change made was that the headlights come on automatically when you turn your wipers on. Whatever everyone is experiencing in the 2017 will be no different than in the 2018 except that the 2018 already has all of the software updates done that we had to have done at the dealer. The oil issue will be the same as ZERO changes were made to the engine.

Actually, the issue can be assembly related, not parts related, so the issue absolutely could be solved.

Additionally, Subaru isn't going to note that they switched to a different ring or block manufacturer, or a different gasket maker.

In other words, no, the fact that the engine has the same displacement and no known changes, doesn't mean it's the same.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well, buyers of the impreza beware... my 2017 sport wagon 5spd just got appraised at a dealership yesterday for trade in at $16k... granted the car only has 11,xxx miles and a whole lot of extras.. so, Im completely upside down in my loan... these cars don't hold any sort.of.value as the dealership tells you when you buy it... Also, This car needs a new shortblock already.... totally bummed out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Custom, irreversible modifications never help resale value either.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, buyers of the impreza beware... my 2017 sport wagon 5spd just got appraised at a dealership yesterday for trade in at $16k... granted the car only has 11,xxx miles and a whole lot of extras.. so, Im completely upside down in my loan... these cars don't hold any sort.of.value as the dealership tells you when you buy it... Also, This car needs a new shortblock already.... totally bummed out.
Eh.. I don't know. I looked for a used Subaru before I bought new. It was the fact that used ones are overvalued that made me decide to buy new.

I'd expect a 6 month old Sport Hatch with the optional package 11k miles to have a $20k to $22k asking price. I don't know who's paying that...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
No modificationa ive done to my car are irreversible.. obviously.. they dont even have any serious mods for this car.. when the subi dealership tells you you car isnt worth what you are paying for it, it is extremely nerve racking...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I could do the leg work for you, but I'm not invested: look for cars similar to yours for sale. See what the asking prices are.

Point #2: car salesman lie more than politicians.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well, maybe they are figuring in the fact that they know the car needs a new engine? That should be their hit, not yours!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Get the new short block and then sell it.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I didnt tell the dealership it needs the new block... i would imagine the replacing of the shortblock will decrease the value of the car..

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Why would it decrease the value of the car? You'd be getting a new engine so to speak!

·
Registered
232 Posts
You don't know if all the installation was properly done without messing up something else.
I would run from a replacement engine in any newer car. They may not be using new blocks,
some or all of them may be rebuilt. If you have a bad engine it will most likely get a rebuild
and go back into the replacement stock.

I have seen that done on recalls on other cars. A complete short block is not a simple item.

Clifton

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a call from Subaru of North America today informing me that I down shift too much and no repairs will be made regarding the oil consumption issue. 8,500 miles and I've taken my sport wagon in 5 times for oil consumption. The car is burning 8.5 ounces every 1200 miles and 10 ounces is the threshold for Subaru to make repairs.

This is extremely disappointing for a first time Subaru owner.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts