5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got a call from Subaru of North America today informing me that I down shift too much and no repairs will be made regarding the oil consumption issue. 8,500 miles and I've taken my sport wagon in 5 times for oil consumption. The car is burning 8.5 ounces every 1200 miles and 10 ounces is the threshold for Subaru to make repairs.

This is extremely disappointing for a first time Subaru owner.
This sounds like BS to me. There has to be another reason

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
@Subdude17...now you should no better than to downshift your new car...what's a matter with you!!! What a BS response from a car manufacturer...I would continue to fight it and ask to have the Regional Subaru rep visit you at the dealer to discuss options. Totally unacceptable IMPO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That was the reason I was given. I am not making ANY of this up.

None of this makes any since.

The last word was it's all documented for future reference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That was the reason I was given. I am not making ANY of this up.

None of this makes any since.

The last word was it's all documented for future reference.
Just curious, how many miles on your vehicle? Regardless, drive the car as you like...don't worry about downshifting. Just wait a few months and have the oil consumption test repeated. Once it fails, and I suspect it will, you'll get a new short block. Rarely on a car with play in the rings will the oil consumption decrease.

And for those that worry that a replacement short block decreases a vehicle value, it won't. This infers that repairs to a vehicle decrease its value and that is just not the case.

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
108 Posts
I use to work at a BMW dealer and have seen many instances when the tech would disassemble and assemble an entire engine to replace the block. It was amazing to watch. BMW also had oil consumptions issues with a particular engine.
Which BMW engine is consuming oil? I love my N55.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
And for those that worry that a replacement short block decreases a vehicle value, it won't. This infers that repairs to a vehicle decrease its value and that is just not the case.
100% correct Jeff and thank you for stating this.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Routine maintenance will not decrease the value of a car, we are talking tune up's replacing worn brake pads and other normal wear components. A replaced engine in a car in less than 10,000 miles is stretching the definition of regular maintenance.

Hands up for all who would knowingly pay normal used price for a 10k mile car with a replaced engine I would not and I suspect most of you wouldn't. I may consider it if the price was considerably less than normal retail.

Clifton

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying that an engine replacement is "regular" maintenance. There are reasons for everything and, if the replacement was done by Subaru directly and fully warranted, I would have zero issues with that. May even look at it as a benefit based on less mileage on the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a call from Subaru of North America today informing me that I down shift too much and no repairs will be made regarding the oil consumption issue. 8,500 miles and I've taken my sport wagon in 5 times for oil consumption. The car is burning 8.5 ounces every 1200 miles and 10 ounces is the threshold for Subaru to make repairs.

This is extremely disappointing for a first time Subaru owner.
This is exactly my story. 9200 miles and 5 warnings. I'm not adding a single drop of oil anymore. This is BS!!! I have prepaid service and they want me to buy my own oil, so I can ad it while I'm on a road and dont have to come back to dealerahip to top it off each time.
Already have open case with Subaru, but they said I don't qualify for shortblock replacement. My car passed oil test consumption. Cant lemon law it either. I was told there is not enough evidence that there was any work done. Tests don't count. 2 different lawyers told me that.
Here is the best part. If I want to sell it and hide any issues with my car there is up to 50k fine or 2 years in jail. Yeah, I can see myself telling potential buyer.. "Hey this is great car, but you have to buy yourself a barrel of oil, because burns it like there is No tomorrow. Deal?"
F... You Subaru!!! After my 8th Subaru, there is no more.

·
Registered
477 Posts
On the Forester boards there are multiple reports of folks for whom a warranty short block replacement did not solve oil consumption issues . . . I for one would not consider buying a recent Impreza that had a replacement engine in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just hope it would be enough folks to come up with yet another class action lawsuit. I started googling and there is tons of people on Reddit or Nasioc. I can't be live SOA doesn't want to acknowledge it. Then again why would they. Not guilty until proven.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious, how many miles on your vehicle? Regardless, drive the car as you like...don't worry about downshifting. Just wait a few months and have the oil consumption test repeated. Once it fails, and I suspect it will, you'll get a new short block. Rarely on a car with play in the rings will the oil consumption decrease.

My 2017 Impreza Sport 5M hatchback has 8,659 miles on it. The car is too new for all of this nonsense!

All I can do now is keep driving it and take it to the dealer each time. I am almost wanting to take it in every 1200 miles just to have the dealer check it and add oil. Honestly, the service advisor seems to be annoyed and I am suspecting that he lied to me and Subaru so he wouldn't be bothered with a short block replacement. (They're overwhelmed with air bag recalls.) I was standing next to him as he checked the oil after the consumption test and he stated it burned 1/2 court which would be 16 ounces. He then ran over to his desk looked up at me and said "It only burned 8.5 ounces, thats acceptable to Subaru." How he got those figures puzzles me.

I reported all of this to SOA and the case I have with them. There is only so much SOA can do if the dealer isn't providing accurate information.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2017 Impreza Sport 5M hatchback has 8,659 miles on it. The car is too new for all of this nonsense!

I was standing next to him as he checked the oil after the consumption test and he stated it burned 1/2 court which would be 16 ounces. He then ran over to his desk looked up at me and said "It only burned 8.5 ounces, thats acceptable to Subaru." How he got those figures puzzles me.
There are crappy dealers that just don't want to do the more time consuming warranty work...go to another dealer and have them repeat the oil consumption test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
UPDATE!

Took my car to Subaru on January 16th.

They called me this evening letting me know it was ready for pick up.

I hope it’s fixed!

If the same issue happens again, I am going to be very disappointed.

I hope Subaru will do the right thing and replace the vehicle or give me a refund.

I don’t want to be stuck in a car that burns oil like crazy, leaving me with no choice but to let it sit until it’s paid off. Thankfully my second car runs strong.

I’d trade it in, but from what I’ve seen, I’m already upside down on my loan.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don’t know yet, I picked it up this morning at 7AM.

My car was given back to me with several deep scratches on the front bumper and both front and rear driver side rims with savere curb rash.
Separate isssue, but so far so good, I’ll know more as I drive it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Have to wonder what they did with that car for two months! :surprise: Hope it solved the problem!

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,300 Posts
I came across this video yesterday and I agree with everything this guy says. Yes he talks about Toyota but it's true in general now. I know it's not a short vid but really worth a watch IMHO

61 - 80 of 85 Posts