5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change and I found the drain plug was cross threaded from the factory. Once I broke it loose I could not turn it by hand. I had to keep the socket wrench on it the whole way out and back in again.

The bolt threads look fine so it must be a problem with the oil pan threads. It doesn't leak so I'm not going to worry about until the next change.

I'll mention it to the dealer and see if they'll chase the threads. Since I changed my own oil I have no way to prove that I didn't do it. We'll see how that goes.

Guess I could buy my own tap & die but I've no idea what the thread size/pitch is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
not directly answering your question but I was changing oil on my wife's BMW one time and I over-torqued the bolt and bolt broke apart, leaving part of the bolt with the pan. It happened after I drained all the oil from the engine (that's the proper procedure, u take off the bolt, drain oil and put the bolt back on). So I was forced to have the car towed to a mechanics and eventually learn that it was a "safety" feature of the BMW to prevent you from over-torque the bolt so it causes any damage to the oil drain pan. The German think replacing the bolt itself is going to cheaper and easier to replace the pan.

Lesson learned from the incident, I bought a oil sucking pump and suck the oil from dip stick ever since with the BMW and now my Impreza so I never have to crawl under the car and it makes the oil change experience much cleaner and convenient.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Did my first oil change and I found the drain plug was cross threaded from the factory. Once I broke it loose I could not turn it by hand. I had to keep the socket wrench on it the whole way out and back in again.

The bolt threads look fine so it must be a problem with the oil pan threads. It doesn't leak so I'm not going to worry about until the next change.

I'll mention it to the dealer and see if they'll chase the threads. Since I changed my own oil I have no way to prove that I didn't do it. We'll see how that goes.

Guess I could buy my own tap & die but I've no idea what the thread size/pitch is.
I think we'll all be very interested to see how this turns out...maybe time for you to buy a Fumoto valve!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think we'll all be very interested to see how this turns out...maybe time for you to buy a Fumoto valve!
This is not my first oil change
The plan was to change oil when I got to Destin Florida
Brought most things to do oil change except Pela pump (too big)purchase a turkey foil tray to drain oil
The socket slip tried numerous tools from neighbors eventually a small pipe wrench worked
Nut was still good but rounded badly
Phoned fumito 108s valve if anyone is interested
Valve in a couple of days
Thousands of miles so far no leaks
Just don't over tighten valve

·
Registered
469 Posts
M16x1.5

A Vermont American tap in this size runs about $10-11 but getting the metal shavings back out can be a problem unless you drop the pan off the vehicle.

·
Registered
857 Posts
M16x1.5

A Vermont American tap in this size runs about $10-11 but getting the metal shavings back out can be a problem unless you drop the pan off the vehicle.
Load the tap with grease or wax to collect any chips.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Brought most things to do oil change except Pela pump (too big)
Too big??? Mine fits into a small 12X12 box. You do know they make ones that handle 6 quarts and are TINY.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Too big??? Mine fits into a small 12X12 box. You do know they make ones that handle 6 quarts and are TINY.....
Yes I know their are smaller pumps. I did have room but didn't feel like lugging it to FL.
Mine is the Pela 650 which I have since 1998

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd have guessed the bolt steel would be harder than the pan, so my expectation would have been the pan to lose that fight. But if the threads look intact try a thread chaser and not a cutting tap to clean them. You don't want to remove any more metal than need and use a new bolt. I'd probably install it without any oil to make sure it's going to hold. If that doesn't work I'd use an insert, e.g. a Helicoil or Time-sert, to keep it a M14.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts