5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice in a row now, after dealer oil changes, the oil level reads high. I let the car sit of a flat ground, overnight, and I'd say the dipstick reads about .25 quarts over the High dot reading the lower side of the stick.

Is it possible the dealer is overfilling, and will this amount do any damage?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Every single oil change in the last 17 years has read high in all 6 of the Subarus we've owned. Different dealers, impreza and forresters. I don't know why that always happens. I do the oil changes on my Wifes forrester now that it's out of warranty and fill to the proper level on the dipstick. Too much oil can be a bad thing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2019 Impreza was delivered with the oil level about 0.25 quart above the upper mark. It's been changed by the dealer once, and by an independent shop once. Despite requests to fill to the upper mark, it was high both times--at the same level as delivered. They have to be adding an SOA-recommended volume.

This was never the case with my 2009 Outbacks EJ25 engine over ten years of oil changes every 3750 miles. It was always filled to the upper mark.

I believe SOA's concern is high oil consumption in some FB20 engines. They would never specify a volume that would result in churn by the crankshaft.

BTW, I check the level weekly, and the car appears to have used no oil over the 6 month (~3000 mile) interval.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
830 Posts
It would have to be a lot higher to cause problems. That much isn't' going to be a big deal.

Reactions: PDawg

·
Registered
336 Posts
True, it doesn't seem to create any issues. It's just unusual to ignore something in the owners manual or on the Dipstick. I suppose an extra .25 quarts theoretically increases your oil capacity.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
830 Posts
My guess is either they are using quart containers or bulk that dispenses in quarts units. Since it calls for 4.7 US quarts they just put in 5. I do the same thing.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
52 Posts
I just used 4.5 L to do a change. I guess the little left over I will save in case it gets low. It looks like I took out more than 4.5 L. I’ll measure it when I dispose of it later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts