5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys been Keeping an eye on oil levels?
And how is it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Still above the high mark at 2500 miles. I check it about once a week on a fully warmed up engine about 5-10 minutes after shut down to get a consistant reading. The first day it was about 1/4" above the high mark, it's gone down a little bit which is to be expected and is now just a little bit above the high mark.

Look at both sides of the dip stick and take a reading from the side that is lower since it enters the pan at an angle.

FYI, it's 1.1 quarts between the high and low mark on the dip stick.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Now that's some valuable information there to keep in mind whilst checking. Glad to see it hasn't gone through much at all though. That's reassuring.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just posted oil level so peeps will check
You never know :surprise:
Enjoy the car making sure the vitals are up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well the Low Oil light works, had about 4500 miles on mine and it was hovering on the low on the dipstick. Threw a quart in since it was late at night and got it changed at the dealership the next day. The light did go out after i put the quart in and a restart of the car. Didn't think i beat it that hard to consume a quart, but maybe there was just less in mine from the start. I'll prob check mine more religiously now though. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depending on distance I travel I check often
Just did an oil change myself
Noticed the oil pan is steel not aluminum as I was expecting
Friend of mine replaced his pan on Forrester a while ago

·
Registered
730 Posts
Have you guys been Keeping an eye on oil levels?
And how is it.
I've made it a habit to detail my car every week if not bi-weekly at my house so I check the oil level, top up on windshield washer fluid & double check the tire pressures. If you take care of this baby, then it should do the same in return.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You know ….

I have just come to the conclusion that for “my” driving style - the car falls under “severe usage” …. No I don’t idle in traffic , I don’t drive in mud or too much snow/cold weather , or pull anything …. I drive on the highway at highway speeds - high revs ( 3300-3500 for extended periods/2hours on daily basis ) and possibly considered to be living in a coastal area and hence this is why my oil light keeps coming on after 2200 miles saying it’s low !

Ie if I change my oil every 5000 miles I would be adding 3 quarts anyways as a top off in the interim ( 1.5 quarts every 2000 miles ) so I might as well use their severe criteria and change it every 3000 miles and the problem all of a sudden wouldn’t seem so bad ?

What do you guys think about this insight ? It’s too bad I drive allot as this is going to cost more but maybe then this beautiful car will also actually last longer too - which will eventually cost a whole lot less in the long run …..

FYI:
Speedometer Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Steering part
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology
Severe usage notes to change oil and filter every 3000 miles ….

·
Registered
137 Posts
/\/\ you're at a low milage total as well... Remember some oils evaporate/burn more readily than others.... My 2017 lost about 2 l total of Mobil one when it was new(er) over a trip of about 1700Miles ...after that I switched to penzoil ultra premium (or whatever is decent, on sale and NOT Mobil one) and the oil level has stayed up wherever I left it since.... I watched Noack tests to land on penzoil. Amsoil did well as well but more expensive and minimal noted difference *imo

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
209 Posts
My daughter’s Impreza is approaching 24k miles. I’m going to teach my 14 year old how to change the oil and filter on it. I just checked and oil level is still good after ~5500 miles.

I’m going to use the 0W20 I bought for my BMW and see how it does since I didn’t know I still had free oil changes so the dealer took care of that car during a recall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When one good but busy dealer said everything is fine - do pls get a second opinion :)
The second dealer same test same drive same car = Fail on consumption …..

the second dealer was so nice to me - I can’t even believe it / through the whole service and testing …. I wonder what service options they will provide to bring my 5MT Impreza to full health - as I really really really like this car allot !!!!!! Just wanted to update others …. :)

You know ….

I have just come to the conclusion that for “my” driving style - the car falls under “severe usage” …. No I don’t idle in traffic , I don’t drive in mud or too much snow/cold weather , or pull anything …. I drive on the highway at highway speeds - high revs ( 3300-3500 for extended periods/2hours on daily basis ) and possibly considered to be living in a coastal area and hence this is why my oil light keeps coming on after 2200 miles saying it’s low !

Ie if I change my oil every 5000 miles I would be adding 3 quarts anyways as a top off in the interim ( 1.5 quarts every 2000 miles ) so I might as well use their severe criteria and change it every 3000 miles and the problem all of a sudden wouldn’t seem so bad ?

What do you guys think about this insight ? It’s too bad I drive allot as this is going to cost more but maybe then this beautiful car will also actually last longer too - which will eventually cost a whole lot less in the long run …..

FYI: View attachment 26456

View attachment 26457 Severe usage notes to change oil and filter every 3000 miles ….

1 - 13 of 13 Posts