5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I changed my oil. I go into my maintenance screen and update and set it for 6k miles to remind me when I'm due for another oil change. Along with that I reset my tripometer. Why can my trip have 6246 miles and my oil counter say I have 2127 miles left on this oil change. Does the car some how sense the condition of the oil and adjust the mileage. I do mostly drive all highway. Even my reputable Subaru dealership could not answer this question

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
214 Posts
"Does the car some how sense the condition of the oil and adjust the mileage."

Lol, no.

Can't answer the rest of your question, I have a base and don't have that fancy stuff. I just put an oreilly sticker on and do it every 3-4k miles.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Are you talking about the MySubaru page? Like below..

Or in the car it's self kinda confused. Also I would set the reminder to 5500 about 500 before your oil change. I know if you go over that mark they could say no you waited to long...And can void your warranty if they are picky.

" oil counter " Is what we need to know where you are seeing this option.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
982 Posts
Do you have a screenshot of the section you are in to see that? I haven't messed with mine for that but I may give it a shot. If I even have that capability. I just have a sticker and log it in my book.

This my Miata not the Imp., a friend made me these :)

Reactions: longboy

·
Registered
464 Posts
My Subaru doesn't have a maintenance counter (n); my Toyota does (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you talking about the MySubaru page? Like below..

Or in the car it's self kinda confused. Also I would set the reminder to 5500 about 500 before your oil change. I know if you go over that mark they could say no you waited to long...And can void your warranty if they are picky.

" oil counter " Is what we need to know where you are seeing this option.

View attachment 24059
IMG_20200902_152841928.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
According to this feller on Youtube, the 2017 Impreza sports have the indicator. Sure doesn't exist on my 2017 premium! My wife's 2019 Forester Limited has the three tabs under the column and has a collection of screens. Might start using that on her car. Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
175 Posts
I don't believe my Premium has that section either. But I do use an app on my phone to track fuel economy and record all maintenance done, and it gives me a reminder when I'm nearing the mileage for an oil change, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
133 Posts
Im sorry for reviving this thread and if my question isn't entirely relevant, but I assume I'd get scolded for making a whole new thread just for a simple oil question.

My imp is my first car ever and I got it brand new so for the first 40k I kept taking it in for dealer service and oil changes.

Now that id like to start doing oil changes myself, im just wondering if it really matters the specifics of the oil, from what I understand any 0w20 will work bjt theres so many variations and it really confuses me.

There are the 3 im looking at. Which one would you advise me to get? Is the difference superficial? Thank you

·
ModFather
982 Posts
I use the bottom one myself. Not until the mileage on my vehicle gets higher do I switch to the high mileage one. Myself I change the oil every 5000 miles. I know it's probably go longer but that's just the way I do it. I always change the oil filter at the same time I like Wix brand but I've also use the Mobil 1 oil filters as well. Because I drive a different car in the summer and the pandemic not driving to work this is the first time in my life I'm going to change the oil based on time and not mileage. It's almost been a year and I haven't done 5,000 miles yet.

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
133 Posts
I use the bottom one myself. Not until the mileage on my vehicle gets higher do I switch to the high mileage one. Myself I change the oil every 5000 miles. I know it's probably go longer but that's just the way I do it. I always change the oil filter at the same time I like Wix brand but I've also use the Mobil 1 oil filters as well. Because I drive a different car in the summer and the pandemic not driving to work this is the first time in my life I'm going to change the oil based on time and not mileage. It's almost been a year and I haven't done 5,000 miles yet. View attachment 24772
Is there any noticeable difference between the fuel economy and the standard one? Those are the two I was deciding between. Does choosing fuel economy sacrifice on something else ?

·
ModFather
982 Posts
I seriously doubt there will be a measurable difference using the same oil viscosity. The High Mileage oil has additives that keep the seals pliable and in good condition.

Worth a watch:

·
Registered
100 Posts
The bottom one is considered the regular Mobil1. The others while technically are Mobil are not "Mobil1". Does it make a difference? Most likely not depending on how you are driving, how long and how far. I was using the AFE in my Legacy but just switched to M1 EP which is rated for longer and farther (further?). I am switching my Impreza to EP too from dealer fill. Why you ask? Because it is "supposed" to have better base stocks and I got it for about the same price as regular or maybe even less. Again, does it make a difference? Probably not especially since I am following the OEM 6mo intervals. I'm not even doing 6k every 6 months or at this point 6k in 12 months. I'm less than 2k miles since my last oil change 6mo ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts