5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are Tom-Tom and Magellan apps that work on the 8" Starlink system, but it seems that the only way to get them is to buy the most expensive trim level (Limited) along with the most expensive option package. Is this really the case?

I've been depending on stand-alone Tom-Toms for years, but building it into the infotainment system seems like an obvious thing to do. A manual transmission is important to me, so the sport trim is the only real option. It seems a shame if I'll still need to keep a separate GPS unit along with its dangling power cord when the build in head unit can run a Tom-Tom app, but that app is simply not available to me.

Incidentally, I know that Google Maps will run on any of the trim levels (perhaps only while tethered to a smart phone) but I GREATLY prefer a Tom-Tom over Google Maps for turn-by-turn navigation. There really is no comparison.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Waze vs Google Maps

... I know that Google Maps will run on any of the trim levels (perhaps only while tethered to a smart phone) ...
If you use the tethered phone option w/ Android Auto, you can use Waze instead of Google Maps on the Impreza's head unit.

I have a love/hate relationship with Waze. I use it in preference to Google Maps, but there are some really stupid bugs in the setup & configuration of Waze (hint: don't let it view your Contacts). However, once it is set up, it's an improvement over Google Maps, I think.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've used both Waze and Google Maps and I'm not sure how I feel. There's some pros both ways but I think Google Maps feels more matured maybe.

As to using something else, if I had a car with nav I'd want Garmin over Tom Tom or Magellan, but that's just me. Google Maps/Waze will do me just fine in their place.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Doesn't anybody still print out mapquest directions or is that just me?

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Waze vs Google Maps

I've used both Waze and Google Maps and I'm not sure how I feel. There's some pros both ways but I think Google Maps feels more matured maybe.
That's an understatement. Waze has been out there for several years, and yet it still has some really stupid bugs in the setup. Eg, when adding a "work" address, it has crashed. Twice. Try again, and it works.

I'm on my second Waze account, because Waze screwed up the import of my Contacts (added contacts that I had never heard of), and I was unable to fix it in the first account.

This is nonsense (I was a software developer for over 40 years, before retiring).

All that having been said (& worked around), Waze is an otherwise decent & innovative product.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't anybody still print out mapquest directions or is that just me?
What's mapquest? I have AAA prepare a TripTik.

Seriously, I appreciate the discussion about Google Maps and Waze, but I've been spoiled by 'real' GPS navigation. I've used Maps on my phone a few times, and it got me there, but it's not the same.

The truth is, when traveling I sometimes have a Tom-Tom giving me turn by turn directions and I also have Google Maps open on a tablet. I use Maps more like old an old school paper map, except that (a) it shows exactly where you are, and (b) you can zoom in and out for more or less detail, and (c) you don't have to fold them back up when done. :laugh:

I'm expecting delivery of a 2018 Sport in a week or three. Maybe having a separate nav tool (Tom-Tom, Garmin, Magellan, whatever) will be good because it'll leave the infotainment system free for other things like Google Maps. I'm just trying to remain positive, though it seems silly that the nav software exists, but there's no way for me to buy it. It's just software! I'd probably happily pay $100 just to find out it sucks and end up going back to a stand-alone unit anyway.

Whatever. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I asked myself why would anybody pay for the navigation when I can plug my phone in and have apple maps come up right on the screen full size. Until I was in the adirondacks with no cell service did I realize why satellite navigation standard would have really helped ?

·
Banned
115 Posts
If you have the upgraded stereo, I believe all you need for navigation is the upgraded sd card. At least that is what I have been told because people have sold theirs after wrecks and stuff on ebay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have the upgraded stereo, I believe all you need for navigation is the upgraded sd card. At least that is what I have been told because people have sold theirs after wrecks and stuff on ebay.
What do you mean by the upgraded stereo? The 8 inch one or the one with nav already? I don't understand why you'd buy the nav sd card if you already have the nav stereo since you should already have the card by design. The only thing that makes sense to me would be if you had the mid level 8 inch screen stereo and it ends up actually being the same unit as the nav one but doesn't have the sd card in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I mean the larger stereo but without the nav feature....its an option to get the better one without nav on a premium or sport I believe.
I have the sport without the NAV and wondered if it was in fact the same unit without the map files. Has anyone upgraded? Does it need anything other than the sd card like another antenna or something? I heard that the NAV isn't necessarily the greatest but in a pinch or especially when I take my Canadian car to the US and don't have to worry about roaming fees

·
Registered
215 Posts
I mean the larger stereo but without the nav feature....its an option to get the better one without nav on a premium or sport I believe.
I have the sport without the NAV and wondered if it was in fact the same unit without the map files. Has anyone upgraded? Does it need anything other than the sd card like another antenna or something? I heard that the NAV isn't necessarily the greatest but in a pinch or especially when I take my Canadian car to the US and don't have to worry about roaming fees
Yep i went to Toronto a couple weeks ago and I was without nav because my phone didn?t work well roaming. If all it is is a SD card into the back they can be had on eBay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts