5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all of my new cars for the past 23 years have been Subaru's. I have a Miata but I got that used. The other week my son got his first new car. He works at a dealership, in sales, that owns lots of different brands around this area. He works at a Nissan dealer but they own all sorts including Subaru. He had his sites set on a BRZ but in the end got a Veloster N with the Performance Pack. I was a little disappointed TBH but want to keep an open mind. He's only had it a little while. I have to admit I can see the appeal for a young guy (he's23) and man the amount of tec is astounding. The amount of things you can change on the touch screen is mind boggling. Exhaust note, suspension stiffness, launch control to name only a few. We did a first wash & wax, I took a few pics for him. Anyone else ever have this brand? I'm curious how it worked out for you. Did it hold up well?

I have pics here if anyone cares to look.

<<Click me for more Pics>>

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,970 Posts
Only thing bad about that car is the color, baby blue? Ugh don't like it. Would love it in black.

Other makes? I have owned; Opel, Audi, Ford, Mazda, Chevy, Chrysler, Mitsubishi and 6 dif. Subarus.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Trans am, grand am, wrangler , three silverados, two focuses, One legacy, three Imprezas

As far as awd cars go, I don’t think we will move away from subaru, unless subaru really does something drastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had VW, Audi, Chevy, Datsun (Nissan now) Ford, Mazda and of course Subaru. I learned to work on cars back in the 70's when my family only owend VW's. My dad's friend, Udo Peltzer, a VW mechanic taught me a lot of stuff.

As for the blue color, it's their signature color for the N line (their STi division) Same as Subaru's WRB color I guess. He almost got the red one, it only comes in red, that blue and black. The thing is, and I see his point, there are all sorts of periwinkle (that the color blue apparently) appointments in the cabin. Buttons, dial lighting even the seat belts. So it sort of goes together nicer than another color I guess. My two favorite colors for a car is silver or red. Obviously a very subjective thing though,

·
Registered
2018 Hatch 5MT
116 Posts
I had a 99 Tiburon FX like 15ish years ago. Was a small, fun car that you could throw around that got like 40 MPG on the highway. It was kinda, sorta quick but handled on rails because of the size. The type of car where adding an aftermarket intake and exhaust did make a huge difference because Hyundai sold them as econo cars even though it was marketed as a touring car. Unfortunate flash flood in the Boston area, blew up the engine as water got in :( The Velosters are interesting, IMO the natural progression of what the Tiburon line should've been, as the early/mid 2000s saw the end of small coupes for a while. The asymmetrical 3 door design and the weird wing definitely differentiate it from the other hatches.

I like the baby blue color, a lot of manufacturers are using a version of it. My buddies Tacoma is more or less the same color. Always preferred the cooler palates like silvers and blues but ended up w a red Impreza because that's all they had in stock other than white.

I've owned a lot of cars but most of them were beaters in my teens/early 20s. Tiburon, 93 Si and 94 VTEC Preludes, a 90, 2001 and 2005 Accords, 86 Isuzu Trooper, 96 (I think) Dodge Caravan, 99.5 Audi A4, 99 Mazda B3000, 90 Chevy Cavalier. Also very, very briefly owned a 86 280ZX and 94 Thunderbird. I miss my Si Prelude and the A4 the most.

·
Banned
141 Posts
I've got the 2020 Veloster Turbo R-Spec, absolutely in love with it. I did a ton of research on it before I pulled the trigger and Hyundai has really stepped up their game. Don't blame him for getting that N. Granted, that's more car than I would have gotten at 23, but it's quality and will be fine with proper maintenance. It's a GDI engine so carbon buildup is inevitable. I only fill up with Shell 93 (as instructed in the manual) to do all I can to minimize the build up.

I had a Toyota Camry that ran amazingly and was honestly hard to break. Had a honda in the golden years of Honda and was essentially bullet-proof, but their quality has slipped and the forums / reddit are filled with mechanics saying not to get them anymore.

My wife had a Nissan Murano and that was a bucket of issues, was not impressed with it at all. We only had it for a short period so I can't give a comprehensive review.

Don't fret the Veloster, it's a great car. If it was a 13-15 model, I would be scared, but they are solid if you don't mod it to hell and back.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Since he works at the dealer he got a great deal on the car and when it comes to the service that will all be dealer done as well. I'm not a Hyundai guy but I like to keep an open mind. I'm "get off my lawn" old but I try not to act that way :)

I'm a dad and of course this isn't a slow car by any means. However, he is a good driver. We did the Tire Rack Street Survival class when he was younger. He's been driving a stick since he was 16 I'm hoping he drives with common sense. Also he had a tricked out Triumph Street Triple R (he use to work at a triumph dealer) but sold that just before he got the car. That was scary quick. Still has some sort of Bonneville cafe racer though. He talked about doing some Auto-x with the new car, it which I think is a good idea. I found when I auto-xed it made it less likely for me to want to do stupid stuff on the street.

For 5 years he was in a band that toured so he has a lot of seat time. He did most of the driving of the tour bus, 29 foot duel wheel shuttle bus type thing.

It's his first new car and it's funny to see him talk about worrying where he parks, door dings and that sort of thing. Stuff we all worry about when we have a car we really like.

His first car was a 2002 OB wagon and the second one was a 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R I gave him when I got my BRZ. He's borrowed my Miata quite a few times. His GF wants to learn a stick but he won't teach her on his car, I'm sure he'll want to use the Miata. I taught both my kids on it and it's pretty forgiving.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yikes, what a subtle paint job! I fear for his license....

Years ago, I raced a 1986 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo, which was flaming red and had a wide gold stripe running down the center. That car got the attention of the local gendarmerie pretty quickly, so I had to drive it gently on public roads. At the same time, I owned a 1978 Volvo 245 wagon, dark blue. That car was so inconspicuous, I could drive it as hard as I wanted on the street and never get pulled over. I once blew past a hidden trooper with a radar unit going 75 in a 55 zone, and he never chased me down! Same thing happened with my 1996 Toyota Camry; I hooned the hell out of that car but never once got pulled over.

I'm glad my Sport Wagon is black; it attracts zero attention. My license has been clean for the last 30 years and I plan to keep it that way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The car aside, it seems from all the things you said about your son, he has his head screwed on straight, so congratulations. As for the car, young men see the world commensurate with their age.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think they have one of the best warranties in the business, something like 10 years ? If that is the case he should have nothing to worry about. I have seen a few video reviews of that exact car and the auto journalists loved it. I think it won best sports car of the year in one magazine review a few months ago, beating out cars that were 10-50 times the price, I was shocked but that was the verdict.

·
Registered
163 Posts
nice car, personally I miss having a truck, any make is good in general. really wishing Subaru would offer something, more often then not I find myself really missing how useful even a small truck bed can be. especially without having to store a trailer or worry about hauling it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I drove his Veloster N yesterday. Holy crap it pulls like a freight train. I put it in N mode and you kind of need a kidney belt but the crackling and popping during shifts is a hoot. I tired the rev match feature, it will automatically blip the throttle on down shifts. It was weird, I sort of do it myself most of the time so it kind of bugged me. You can turn it off though. Fun little car I can see why he likes it.

Some random info area shots

1 - 12 of 12 Posts