5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased an Impreza 2017 and I need to decide if to get the corrosion and paint protection plans.
I googled about the plan the dealer offers (Canada) and for the corrosion they offer the 'finalcoat' - a module which attaches to the battery. The reviews say it's worthless.
For the paint they recommend the Xzilon.

I'm curious how many of you got a protection plan from the dealer, and if it's worth the money.

Also, how many of you got the extended warranty? Seems pricey.:frown2:
Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, I just purchased an Impreza 2017 and I need to decide if to get the corrosion and paint protection plans.
I googled about the plan the dealer offers (Canada) and for the corrosion they offer the 'finalcoat' - a module which attaches to the battery. The reviews say it's worthless.
For the paint they recommend the Xzilon.

I'm curious how many of you got a protection plan from the dealer, and if it's worth the money.

Thanks!
Can't help you any of the above, but I'm typically not a fan of dealer add ons. They tend to be very pricey and not as good as aftermarket options.

Perhaps an alternative in your case could be paint protection film?

You can get a kit that pretty much covers the entire front.

https://carprotectionpros.com/paint...-clear-bra-paint-protection-film-deluxe-kit-1

If you're not a DIYer, a local installer said that he could do the front for $500.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
My dealer offered me $2,300 for an extended warranty. Yes, you read that correctly $2,300! Regardless I was never planning on opting for an extended warranty right away. If I decide to keep the car past the factory warranty I'll decide about adding the extended warranty later. All depends what happens the next 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Remember you can add the extended warranty at anytime prior to 3/36,000.

As for paint protection I wouldn't go for that either. I was not offered this during my deal, but I wouldn't have taken it anyway. There are plenty of aftermarket, DIY or local installers that can take care of that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't help you any of the above, but I'm typically not a fan of dealer add ons. They tend to be very pricey and not as good as aftermarket options.

Perhaps an alternative in your case could be paint protection film?

You can get a kit that pretty much covers the entire front.

If you're not a DIYer, a local installer said that he could do the front for $500.
The problem with aftermarket options is that the dealer can say it voids the warranty. I was told so by the dealer of my other car - Honda. That's how they get you :)

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thanks!
When I bought my first Subaru in '09 I fell for the anti-rust module. Those types of systems are used successfully on ships, but the mechanics of it just don't work well on cars. All it really does is drain your battery. Save your money.

This time I did buy the extended warranty (5yr bumper to bumper); it was expensive however for me it's worth it for peace of mind, plus I got a loyalty discount. The number of gadgets this car has (especially with the tech package) is staggering. Eyesight cameras are apparently $2000CDN to replace, and the cost for those swivelling headlights is probably frightening as well. This is the first year for this new model, so there is that too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts