5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have had my 2021 Impreza since April this year. Not even a month after getting it, I noticed several dents on my hood. I was/am very annoyed about it but being that the car is parked on the street, it is to be expected. However, I do need your advice on the following: one area has a very small paint chip, perhaps an inch long and very narrow (please see pic attached here). It has been there for about 3 months now. I don't see any sign of rust but I am worried that it might develop. Under the chip, as you can see, the color is white. What do you suggest I should do, if anything, to prevent rust? I don't mind so much the look. I was thinking of getting paint pen and just cover the area with that. I welcome your suggestions and thank you for taking the time to read/reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
The white is the primer. If the scratch doesn't go deeper than that you're fine. I've pretty much stopped caring about every door ding/scratch on my car and am gonna let them accumulate until I need to get the whole car repainted.

For peace of mind I would get a paint pen to fill it in, but make sure you prep the area well before you fill it in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The white is the primer. If the scratch doesn't go deeper than that you're fine. I've pretty much stopped caring about every door ding/scratch on my car and am gonna let them accumulate until I need to get the whole car repainted.

For peace of mind I would get a paint pen to fill it in, but make sure you prep the area well before you fill it in.
Thank you for the reply. Based on what you wrote, I don't think the scratch goes further than the primer.
When you say to prep the area well before filling it with paint pen, can you please share what that involves? I was under the impression that the paint pen was just something I would put on top of the chipped area. I don't really mind how it would look. Rust is the only concern really.
The other thought I had was to have the dealer do it when I send it for my next oil change but that probably is a bad idea as they will make a huge deal out of it and charge a fortune probably.

Thank you!

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
As far as prep goes, you just want to use isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean the area you are painting and make sure no lint is left behind and let it dry. Shake up the paint pen really well. Use the pen side to dab the scratch to fill it in.

Dealer can't do anything with paint, but they would probably refer you to a body shop/collision center which isn't cheap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Your photo is too close-up for me to positively identify which part I'm looking at... if it is the part directly above the front grill, that is actually part of the bumper (plastic) and not the metal hood, and that part scratches really easily, mine is full of pock marks just from normal driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your photo is too close-up for me to positively identify which part I'm looking at... if it is the part directly above the front grill, that is actually part of the bumper (plastic) and not the metal hood, and that part scratches really easily, mine is full of pock marks just from normal driving.
Hello,

Thank you. It's actually part of the hood, the front of the hood, left side. It's the metal part unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as prep goes, you just want to use isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean the area you are painting and make sure no lint is left behind and let it dry. Shake up the paint pen really well. Use the pen side to dab the scratch to fill it in.

Dealer can't do anything with paint, but they would probably refer you to a body shop/collision center which isn't cheap.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2022 Impreza CVT Sedan
18 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have had my 2021 Impreza since April this year. Not even a month after getting it, I noticed several dents on my hood. I was/am very annoyed about it but being that the car is parked on the street, it is to be expected. However, I do need your advice on the following: one area has a very small paint chip, perhaps an inch long and very narrow (please see pic attached here). It has been there for about 3 months now. I don't see any sign of rust but I am worried that it might develop. Under the chip, as you can see, the color is white. What do you suggest I should do, if anything, to prevent rust? I don't mind so much the look. I was thinking of getting paint pen and just cover the area with that. I welcome your suggestions and thank you for taking the time to read/reply.

Thought this might help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts