5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else notice how easy the paint chips on these cars? Ours is only 8 months old and I can't believe how many chips there are already. The car has never seen a gravel or dirt roads and they don't pour much salt or sand on our roads here in Vancouver. Quite disappointing actually.

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
Sadly car paint is not what it is used to be. If you are a homeowner and have had your house painted you know that house paint isn't the same as it was 20 years ago either. Paints have been made "safe" for the environment and because of that they are softer and don't adhere to surfaces as well as they used to. I have had cars made in the 60s, 70s and 80s and the paint on those cars was rock hard.

Those days are over.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i found the paint to be very thin.
slight scratch and you can see white probably primer.
thin paint must a wgt. saver.

·
Registered
73 Posts
They use some sort of touch up paint, then they use a uv light to harden it. After it has hardened they used a buffer I think and nocked off the top part down to the level

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, the paint's chipping in a few spots on the frontend, and barely 10k on the car so far. The orange peel is apparent, too.

Another thing, why is the lithium red touch-up paint STILL unavailable at the dealership? The car's already into its second year of production, ffs.

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
Yeah, the paint's chipping in a few spots on the frontend, and barely 10k on the car so far. The orange peel is apparent, too.

Another thing, why is the lithium red touch-up paint STILL unavailable at the dealership? The car's already into its second year of production, ffs.
My dealer told me that Subaru is having an outside company make touch up paint for them, it took me a week to get mine.

·
Registered
778 Posts

yeah, I ordered LRP touch up paint twice from my local dealer and that has been sine March 2017 and they still can't get it. I ordered it from another company online and got it within 5 days. I think the site is touchupdirect.com? or something to that effect. I definitely don't know why dealers are having a hard time getting it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
@C J - So, you received OEM paint from the dealership? Like 2017SportHatch, I was told it was not available yet.
@2017SportHatch & @securityguy - Thanks, I will take a look. Is it an exact Lithium Red colour as the car? I have a gash on the front bumper that I want to repair (DIY).

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
@C J - So, you received OEM paint from the dealership? Like 2017SportHatch, I was told it was not available yet.
@2017SportHatch & @securityguy - Thanks, I will take a look. Is it an exact Lithium Red colour as the car? I have a gash on the front bumper that I want to repair (DIY).
I did, it took about 7 days to get it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to give them a call again. It's almost time for a scheduled appointment at the dealership anyway. I wonder if any of the other colours were delayed as well?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was able to get an Island Blue Pearl (NAC) Subaru touch up kit without much problem, although I'd say the color match isn't as good as it could be.

·
Registered
778 Posts
its a very very close match. but you have to get the clear coat with it as well. if you just use the base, it won't match at all.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In the Subaru kit "pen", the touch paint is on one end and clear coat on the other. For the Island Blue Pearl, to my eye the touch-up paint dries a bit darker and not the correct shade of blue even after the clear coat was applied.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've repaired paint on a few cars already, from small chips to whole panels, and the clearcoat I find is the finishing touch that makes or breaks it.

I was considering the Island Blue, too, it's a really nice colour. Because of its uniqueness, I can imagine it to be a hard one to match.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts