5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
417 Posts
Paint chips are painful things. Repairing them takes patience and skill.

If you use a brush, no matter how small, you'll likely be sorry as too much will be deposited... and the "repair" will stand out worse than the unadorned chip itself.

I use a sharp toothpick (when I'm feeling brave enough to try again). A tiny dab on the end in the center of the chip... on some colors. The one I just got is CWP. I've bought the expensive 3-part kit only to really never try to use it but once... because that one time showed the touchup like a big wart on a beautiful face. That was on my '17 CWP FXTT. On this one (also CWP) there will be no repair attempts, just polish and detail regularly to protect it all.

A botched attempt... like applying too much, will look like an obvious wart after it dries... on any color. Afterward that's all you'll see, not the remaining chips. If you try to wipe it off the paint will be partially melted where it was, and will never look right. So beware.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No chips at all and I drive in that 3rd World Country known as Chicago.
I feel so sorry for you.
I had to drive through Chicago on Interstates 90 and 94 twice in the last 2 weeks during my road trip from CT to MN and back.
On the way to MN it took me over an hour to get through the city on the HIGHWAY!
I think the average speed was something along the lines of 5 MPH.
Some of the lanes through the 100 or so construction zones where barely big enough for my Impreza to fit it, yet I saw Huge box trucks and moving trucks squeezing through them a 1/2 inch from the cars on either side of them.
I watched a School Bus cut across 5 Lanes of bumper to bumper traffic when they where like 100 feet from their exit. A School Bus!
I watched one guy switch lanes around 15 times in the course of 1 miles. 4 of them where in the course 5 minutes!
To add to that the Skyway bridge toll charged $31.20 to my EZ-Pass for my Impreza. That's the cost for a 5 axle truck :eek:.
I don't see how you could drive through that City on any kind of regular basis and not have any paint chips ( or your sanity or bumpers for that matter ;) ).

Over the course of my 2,800 mile road Trip I picked up quite a few rock chips.
I would have to agree that the paint is not as strong as it could be. I would also agree that a Subaru Touch up pen is not the best idea. It never comes out right and most of the time looks worse that the rock chip did.
I just use a Clear coat pen by Turtle-wax to cover the chipped area so it does not rust.

I don't think this is a new Issue for Subaru's.
My 2008 Legacy GT Limited have the paint start to just peel off.
It was like 6 years old with less than 70K Miles on it and the paint just started to fall off. Mostly in the areas under the trunk lid near the rear quart panels and on the fenders under the hood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The slightest brush against the paint...the zipper of my coat, the corner of a shopping bag, etc. and scratches appear. The paint is not at all durable. Never take this car through a brush wash. I've got a dozen or more chips on the hood and front end. None on my 10 year old Impala :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I feel so sorry for you.
I had to drive through Chicago on Interstates 90 and 94 twice in the last 2 weeks during my road trip from CT to MN and back.
On the way to MN it took me over an hour to get through the city on the HIGHWAY!
I think the average speed was something along the lines of 5 MPH.
Some of the lanes through the 100 or so construction zones where barely big enough for my Impreza to fit it, yet I saw Huge box trucks and moving trucks squeezing through them a 1/2 inch from the cars on either side of them.
I watched a School Bus cut across 5 Lanes of bumper to bumper traffic when they where like 100 feet from their exit. A School Bus!
I watched one guy switch lanes around 15 times in the course of 1 miles. 4 of them where in the course 5 minutes!
To add to that the Skyway bridge toll charged $31.20 to my EZ-Pass for my Impreza. That's the cost for a 5 axle truck :eek:.
I don't see how you could drive through that City on any kind of regular basis and not have any paint chips ( or your sanity or bumpers for that matter ;) ).

Over the course of my 2,800 mile road Trip I picked up quite a few rock chips.
I would have to agree that the paint is not as strong as it could be. I would also agree that a Subaru Touch up pen is not the best idea. It never comes out right and most of the time looks worse that the rock chip did.
I just use a Clear coat pen by Turtle-wax to cover the chipped area so it does not rust. View attachment 21936

I don't think this is a new Issue for Subaru's.
My 2008 Legacy GT Limited have the paint start to just peel off.
It was like 6 years old with less than 70K Miles on it and the paint just started to fall off. Mostly in the areas under the trunk lid near the rear quart panels and on the fenders under the hood.
You get used to it! Although there is literally ALWAYS construction on that stretch of 90/94 you are talking about haha. I have definitely learned which routes to avoid and I always try to drive when there isn't going to be a lot of traffic. Because sitting there in stop and go traffic sucks. The Eyesight has actually helped that even though it cuts off if it comes to a complete stop.

About the paint chips and dents. I purchased some warranty or package through the dealer that was supposed to take care of those for the next 7 years! Come to find out, it only covers dents....then when I put in a request to at least get the dents out, the dealer didnt check the box for that portion of the warranty! Getting real fed up with this dealer I bought the car from for so many reasons, this being one of them.

Anyway, I called the dealer and they said they would take care of the dents and try to fix the warranty issue. We shall see how that goes!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody else notice how easy the paint chips on these cars? Ours is only 8 months old and I can't believe how many chips there are already. The car has never seen a gravel or dirt roads and they don't pour much salt or sand on our roads here in Vancouver. Quite disappointing actually.
I have a 2016 Impreza and the front hood is peppered with chips, all highway driving. I put 300k on my Hyundai Sante Fe on the same stretch of road and barely any chips. One of the reasons why i would never buy another Subaru.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts