5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 2017 impreza limited to the dealership where I bought the car from for its first service. When I went to pick up the car they handed me the keys and told me where it was parked (against the wall where they have a row of back in angle parking spaces). I went out to find my car backed into the wall with the bumper appearing to be very dented in and pressed up against the wall with the car parked that way. I have eyesight with the reverse auto braking so I was extra surprised. :surprise:

I went back in and notified them and they apologized and agreed to repair it. So they took it to a body shop to repair it. When I went back to pick it up I noticed two dings in the the passenger rear door. So off it went to the body shop again. When I finally got the car back after getting it home and seeing it in different lighting I'm thinking the rear bumper paint color is slightly darker/more yellow and doesn't match the rest of the car. I'm told the crystal white pearl finish is a tri coat making it difficult to match. So I talk with the dealership and tell them that it looks off and they tell me I can bring it back to the body shop and have them try to fix it by blending the paint or whatever.

So I go to the body shop and he tells me that he didn't replace the whole bumper he only repaired the one side that was dented (rear passenger side). But as you can see in the pictures and videos it looks like the bumper doesn't match on either side. The guy at the body shop explained that since the bumpers are plastic they don't ever match even from the factory and that he only touched the one side... But my front bumper matches much more closely than the rear... I have a video of my car from when I first got it and you cant notice any discoloration of the rear bumper as compared with the rest of the car in the video. Am I really only noticing this now because I'm looking at the bumper so closely and its been like this since I got the car? I'm having a hard time believing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, did you ever get this issue resolved?

I noticed a similar issue on my car. I bought a 2018 Sport Tech hatchback in the same pearl white color in mid June. I am the second owner, and the car had a clean Carfax report. About a week after buying the car, I noticed that the front bumper is a slightly different shade than the body:
IMG_2732.JPG

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,970 Posts
The first time I hand washed my car I could see that the plastic bits didn't quite match the steel parts regarding paint color. Your first video might not be in the sun so it might not show as much, mine only shows in the sun. Bottom line; they don't match even brand new.

These new "blended" paints with sparkles in them are basically just impossible for body shops to match up. I am surprised that they didn't put a whole new bumper on it and paint the whole bumper, I might demand that and if they don't take them to small claims court.

Makes me sad when I read about these things happening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks C J. In my case I'm not even sure if the paint was this way from the factory or not. If it was, I guess the previous owner didn't notice. And yes, I only noticed a day after hand washing it.

The Carfax report showed that the car has not been in an accident, so maybe the previous owner dented the bumper and decided to repair without going through insurance.

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,970 Posts
Well, you really can't tell in the photos.

I wonder if anyone but you would notice it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess you should be glad that they did as much as they did to make it right. You could have been blown off altogether. Dirt and fading will probably blend it all in eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts