5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Base Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a fairly hilly area and I have to regularly park at a decline. I am aware of the things around parking safety but I am more curious about fluids and whatnot. Should I be taking any precautions in the extreme heat/cold when the car has been at a decline? My blue temperature light kicks in each start when I have been parked at a decline but I let it switch off before any major RPMS are hit. I have read a bunch of different sites out on the web but still do not feel comfortable with it all.

Thanks for any advice,

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,081 Posts
That annoying blue light comes on for all of us no matter if we are parking in a flat area or on an incline.

·
Registered
2018 Base Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That annoying blue light comes on for all of us no matter if we are parking in a flat area or on an incline.
I was seeing that. I was not sure if the angle was making fluids "sit on the sensors" in a weird way. My old jeep had a delayed engagement (after starting to park on the angle) issue forming, but it could have been the older jeep though and the decline is a red herring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in a fairly hilly area and I have to regularly park at a decline. I am aware of the things around parking safety but I am more curious about fluids and whatnot. Should I be taking any precautions in the extreme heat/cold when the car has been at a decline? My blue temperature light kicks in each start when I have been parked at a decline but I let it switch off before any major RPMS are hit. I have read a bunch of different sites out on the web but still do not feel comfortable with it all.

Thanks for any advice,
I read where a mechanic recommended when parking on a steep slope to put you car in neutral, apply the parking brake then shift to park then turn off the engine. That way you are putting less pressure on the parking spline in the transmission and most of the stress is on the brakes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The blue light is only affected by temperature of the catalytic converter. The engine will rev higher until the catalytic converter comes up to temperature, then it goes off and engine idle returns to normal. Car manufacturers have a requirement to warm the catalytic converter up within a few minutes of engine start for emissions control purposes.

·
Registered
2018 Base Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read where a mechanic recommended when parking on a steep slope to put you car in neutral, apply the parking brake then shift to park then turn off the engine. That way you are putting less pressure on the parking spline in the transmission and most of the stress is on the brakes.
I too read that at some point and had have been in the habit of doing so after issues arrived in my last vehicle. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2018 Base Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The blue light is only affected by temperature of the catalytic converter. The engine will rev higher until the catalytic converter comes up to temperature, then it goes off and engine idle returns to normal. Car manufacturers have a requirement to warm the catalytic converter up within a few minutes of engine start for emissions control purposes.
Interesting. I did not know that. I thought it was weird having a low-temperature light in the summer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not educated in this department, as I have no idea where the sensors are in regards to where the fluid sits on certain degree inclines/declines; but If I were a betting man I'd say you wouldn't have to worry about it. These vehicles are pretty new, the only thing I could think is if your seriously low on fuel and park on such an angle that your fuel pump pickup cannot reach the fuel, but that would be a REALLY extreme situation. I'm going to guess the rest of the worry is manufactured out.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
571 Posts
Yes! I was taught when you come to a stop and you are parking. Keep your foot on the brake, pull up the parking brake, then put it in park and lastly take your foot off the brake. This way the car is being held in place by the brake and not the parking pawl in the transmission. If you get a clunk and the car moves a little when you put the car in drive, that's because the parking pawl was holding it in place and not the brake. It's a lot harder to shift the lever if you are on a steep incline. Will not doing it this severely damage your transmission, probably not but for sure it's not good for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts