5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was turning a slight corner Saturday night & heard a thud or bang. I thought someone hit the car with something but then I seen the door open warning come on. Pulled over & found the front passenger door had released itself from the lock position. It didn't open fully but like when you don't close the door completely. Obviously the lock or striker needs to be aligned. Has anyone had this issue? Also from day one, this door always needs to be slammed for it to close completely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was turning a slight corner Saturday night & heard a thud or bang. I thought someone hit the car with something but then I seen the door open warning come on. Pulled over & found the front passenger door had released itself from the lock position. It didn't open fully but like when you don't close the door completely. Obviously the lock or striker needs to be aligned. Has anyone had this issue? Also from day one, this door always needs to be slammed for it to close completely.
I do have that issue. My wife never shuts the passenger door hard enough. I'm wondering if it's just the new extra cushy weatherstripping that will break in over time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also from day one, this door always needs to be slammed for it to close completely.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "slammed" , but our doors definitely don't respond to a delicate swing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Same here. The passenger side door is especially bad and needs to basically be slammed or closed with some assertion.
The driver side door was initially pretty bad too - I'm not sure if I just got trained to close it harder, or if indeed the weather stripping broke down a bit.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Slammed" was a slight over statement but it doesn't close normally. It needs an extra push. I doubt its the weather stripping. I think its the striker on the pillar needs to be adjusted but that's a job for the dealer when it goes in this Saturday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Initially I had the same issue with my passenger door and my rear hatch. They both seemed to have gotten easier to shut after some use, particularly the rear hatch.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Same here. The passenger side door is especially bad and needs to basically be slammed or closed with some assertion.
The driver side door was initially pretty bad too - I'm not sure if I just got trained to close it harder, or if indeed the weather stripping broke down a bit.
"Slammed" was a slight over statement but it doesn't close normally. It needs an extra push. I doubt its the weather stripping. I think its the striker on the pillar needs to be adjusted but that's a job for the dealer when it goes in this Saturday.
Back in the 50s and 60s when we walked 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, in the snow, barefoot or some of us in hightop black canvas Keds tennis shoes, VW would run commercials about how it is easier to close the doors on their Beetle if you open the windows. Tight fit of quality construction ya know.

Go to that front passenger door and get a feel for what it takes to just have it fail to latch when pushing it closed. Then open the rear door beside it and try that front passenger door again.

Just tried it myself and it makes a fairly big difference! Noticeably easier to close that door when the air can escape. Might explain the occasional observation that a door is tough to close sometimes and not others. Maybe not poor quality but just the opposite! Give it a try and be sure to reply post.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back in the 50s and 60s when we walked 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, in the snow, barefoot or some of us in hightop black canvas Keds tennis shoes, VW would run commercials about how it is easier to close the doors on their Beetle if you open the windows. Tight fit of quality construction ya know.

Go to that front passenger door and get a feel for what it takes to just have it fail to latch when pushing it closed. Then open the rear door beside it and try that front passenger door again.

Just tried it myself and it makes a fairly big difference! Noticeably easier to close that door when the air can escape. Might explain the occasional observation that a door is tough to close sometimes and not others. Maybe not poor quality but just the opposite! Give it a try and be sure to reply post.
Interesting story but there is air vents/air outlet vents, with flaps, in almost every vehicle - maybe not 50s or 60's VW's LOL. They are almost always located on the rear body panel/below the rear quarter panels behind the bumper, to allow the air to escape when closing the doors. If you remove the rear bumper cover on almost any vehicle, you'll see what I'm talking about. Open & close a door & you'll see the flap move to allow air to escape. See images.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Interesting story but ....
Just try it and see if was just my imagination. My vehicle - 17 Impreza Premium 5-door - has a cabin filter that would resist some air passage. Those flaps and air passages will provide some restrictions. I will stop short of the VW float in the swimming pool test.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Door closing

I'm also having some problems closing my doors. Car is fairly new so I'm hoping they will close easier after a few weeks. They aren't difficult, just not easy as my last few cars.

5 Door premium

Clifton

1 - 10 of 10 Posts