ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the dampener on my Impreza the other day. This is the one here:

Steering Dampener Lockdown

Their instructions can be downloaded here:

>>Install directions<<

Since the directions are for a WRX I think, ours looked a little different so it was a little confuting at first. However, I think it really only goes in one way.

The install is relatively easy, I did it without removing the steering linkage as suggested by their install directions. It's tight under there using just Rino Ramps but doable. It helps that I'm a small guy. Do yourself a favor, the linkage is right above the exhaust header, if your just moved your car on the ramps. Let it cool down, it super hot and you will burn yourself.

Instead of removing the linkage you will need to loosen the upper bolt that holds linkage on the spline. This will afford some upward movement of the linkage affording room for the lock-down part. I discovered that you can use two hands to do the install by putting your right hand up on the right side but your left needs to sort of hug around to the left. It wasn't apparent at first when you are under there you will see what I mean. I placed the two parts in the proper spot and was able to hold the halves together with my left hand and just start the longer bolt to get things going. With the supplied Allan wrench you snug everything up then remove the larger bolt and install the shorter one permanently after adding some of the supplied blue lock-tite on the threads. ~peaty 5-10-20

Just a heads up, I tried it without loosing the bolt and you could see the parts not sliding in properly.

Attachments

·
ModFather
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only went for a short drive to make sure everything was okay. There seemed to be more steering feel if that makes sense. You might call it NVH as there was more road surface feel which I consider a good thing. I'm going to guess it will be more pronounced depending on your tire series as my sport has lower profile tires. Steering response even at low speeds seemed slightly quicker. I did just install the Nameless Strut brace but this is a different feel. Having said that suspension work is a sum of it's parts so it's not always easy to say which bit did what. I took a few roundabouts and I like the way it feels. Sadly since the whole virus thing I haven't been driving much at all as I've been working from home. I did want to put up the pics though while the install was fresh in my mind. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I installed mine last weekend and took it for a 500 miles trip to north central pa. Steering is more responsive and way less corrections on the highway. Pretty pleased so far with this modification. At 75 mph a strong breeze moves the car significantly but I’m okay with that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would get something like this but I can't take the chance of voiding any warranty. With my luck, something would break and they would blame this.

·
Registered
476 Posts
That’s why you remove it before taking the car to the dealership if you’re worried.

But If you blow out a rear wheel bearing. They can’t claim the steering shaft modification caused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ModFather
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been driving for a few weeks now with this in place. I have to say the steering feels nice and tight now, not quite twitchy but close. A lot less play in the steering. I'm currently running 36 PSI up front and 35 in the rear. Granted, I did do the strut brace at the same time so it's hard to say which does more but I think the feel part is the dampener. I'm pretty happy with the way it handles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been driving for a few weeks now with this in place. I have to say the steering feels nice and tight now, not quite twitchy but close. A lot less play in the steering. I'm currently running 36 PSI up front and 35 in the rear. Granted, I did do the strut brace at the same time so it's hard to say which does more but I think the feel part is the dampener. I'm pretty happy with the way it handles.
Thanks for the write-up. I had one of these before my car even arrived and have been waiting to install so I can actually notice the difference. No strut bar yet so I can add to this review. I will share my feedback later this weekend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That’s why you remove it before taking the car to the dealership if you’re worried.

But If you blow out a rear wheel bearing. They can’t claim the steering shaft modification caused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm too old for that! ;-) I barely want to change oil most of the time. Plus I don't have a lot of free time either. Maybe one of these days...……………………………………...

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
34 Posts
I’m going to order one. Took my daughter’s car on a long trip this past weekend and I can’t stand it at 75+ mph. Lol.
If I remember I will try to have someone with me to make a video.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I’m going to order one. Took my daughter’s car on a long trip this past weekend and I can’t stand it at 75+ mph. Lol.
If I remember I will try to have someone with me to make a video.
On certain road surfaces and/or windy days, my car used to wander a bit at higher speeds. The steering lockdown bracket did a great job addressing that by taking the slop out of the rubber damper connection between steering wheel to steering rack. Now at "Honey, slow down" speeds it's very manageable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts