5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share how I mounted my Samsung Galaxy S7 in the new Impreza.

At first, I just had the phone sitting in the cup holder connected via USB for Android Auto functionality.

Recently, I wanted a nice, clean, and simple way to quickly mount the phone and charge it simultaneously.

I bought a magnetic, fast wireless charging mount made by Neotrix. It works extremely well. You can insert a magnetic plate on the back of the phone inside the case, or another external plate on the outside of a bare phone or case. I have not had any issues with the phone moving around while driving.

I have the device mounted on the driver's side left air vent and the phone fits perfectly in either portrait or landscape mode. The device also comes with a windshield/dash mount.

I tucked the USB power cable behind some trim and steering wheel area, and then ran it back to the center console power port.

Obviously, you lose Android Auto or Apple Carplay functionality if you're not plugged into the usb port of your phone. I may run a 2nd USB cable back to the center console USB port and just have the micro USB end tucked away behind the mount, in case I ever want to use Android Auto.

Thoughts anyone?
Link to device and pictures below:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W687MD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, in case anyone is curious, if you plug the USB into the phone while it's charging via wireless, the USB overrides and takes over charging. You don't get a dual charge.

The one issue I have with Android Auto and the USB charging is that it does not provide enough power if you have apps like google navigation running.
It struggles just to maintain the current charge. This is not necessarily a specific Subaru issue as I've searched other car posts and folks have similar issues.

The ideal world would have Wireless Android Auto, which has been announced but not yet implemented.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've been searching amazon lately for something similar but just a simple vent phone holder. Nothing special or expensive. That actually looks pretty decent.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been searching amazon lately for something similar but just a simple vent phone holder. Nothing special or expensive. That actually looks pretty decent.
It's very high quality and has decent reviews. I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Looking good man, I am still figuring out where I want to put my radar detector, I like to kind of hide it.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use something like this, picked up for around $5: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJE1SG8/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAFvv

It's easy to pick up and take to another car. But really, part of the point behind Android Auto is not to need to have it mounted in the first place (another being you can't text and email and drive!). One advantage is that a large smartphone blocks the vent, and on some hot days you need all of them. On the other and, if you left the phone in the car and it has overheated, this is a fast way to cool it back down.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've stopped using Android Auto completely. At first I was super excited to have that interface in this car; however, the fact that you need to physically plug in the USB cable every time is a showstopper. Eventually, Android Auto will support wireless, but who knows when that will be.

Also, my phone does not receive enough power from the USB port to keep up charging while using apps like Google Maps in Android Auto.
I'm sure I'm not alone there, after researching the issue online.

And I do like having full functionality while driving, instead of being limited to what Google thinks will keep me safe on the road...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Probably a little off topic, and I was surprised that the link to the screen needs the cable. But the GPS chip in my former Galaxy would run down the phone battery in an hour and a half, so I'm used to having it charging in the car anyway. The USB port more than keeps up with my 6P.

The 8 inch screen is better than the 5.5 inch screen, so I'm happy with it. I plug in my phone and leave it in the cubby under screen now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
..... But really, part of the point behind Android Auto is not to need to have it mounted in the first place (another being you can't text and email and drive!).... .
The phone has to be plugged in and be able to get reasonable reception. So you have to leave it out somewhere. Other than sticking it in one of the cupholders, you need something to keep it from flying around as the car moves.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably a little off topic, and I was surprised that the link to the screen needs the cable. But the GPS chip in my former Galaxy would run down the phone battery in an hour and a half, so I'm used to having it charging in the car anyway. The USB port more than keeps up with my 6P.

The 8 inch screen is better than the 5.5 inch screen, so I'm happy with it. I plug in my phone and leave it in the cubby under screen now.

My wireless charging pad (in the original post here) also can not keep up with the charging IF I'm using Google Maps. Something with the GPS and the screen always on is a huuuuge battery hog. The only way to charge it correctly in that case would be to use a cig lighter adapter, NOT the USB port or a wireless pad.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are a couple of things going on here:

1. Android Auto needs the USB cable, so it doesn't work with the cigarette lighter. It is said on the interwebs that this is some combination of (i) the need to not drain the battery (ii) transferring audio losslessly (which BT can't do) and (iii) the amount of data required to drive a larger screen. It is also said that AA will soon support a WiFi connection to the car to handle (ii) and (iii), so at that point maybe the cigarette lighter will be viable.

2. My Nexus 6P charges up while using Google Maps. I'll see if I can measure the charging current, but I'm not sure if I can do that with AA active.

3. I started out with my 6P on the magnetic mount on the driver side center air vent but since the screen isn't active it seemed unnecessary to be in a place it would need to be in without AA. An air vent mount blocks the airflow, which is why I leave it in the cubby under the dash. Not the cupholder, because that has the coffee. (Thirty years ago with my Saab I had an air vent cupholder mount, because the ignition was where cupholders are now.)

4. There is a suggestion that AA may draw on the car's GPS if it has one, not the phone's GPS. I don't know if that is the case with the Impreza. In any case, my GPS signal seems adequate for the purposes when it is in the cubby. When the head unit says "signal lost" I don't know whether that is the car's GPS or cell signal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did measure.

Google Maps doing navigation but not driving the screen through AA runs around 510ma. Plugged in to the USB port, Maps doing navigation through AA charges at about 1050ma. Measured using Ampere. So the port is actually supplying around 1500ma. That may be a limitation of my cable, which is USB-A to USB-C with that spec.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts