5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my car, the dealer threw in pinstriping. When I talked to the pinstriper (contractor), he stated that he couldn't come up with a good look on the 2017 Impreza because of the new body lines. We both looked at the car together and talked about how to do it but it just didn't seem like it would work nicely.
I was driving in NJ this weekend and saw my color car with pinstriping. I think it actually looks very nice, but it does not span the entire length of the car. The pinstripe is basically a straight line that goes only from the end of the front fender (2 inches?) towards the back of the car, hope you can make it out in the attachment.
What do you think of this or have you seen another pinstriping scheme?

Attachments

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I just got pinstripes added to my car on Saturday. Attached are the photos of how he did it. It looks similar to the one you attached. The guy I used ran into the same question as your guy about what would look best. After we talked about it for about we decided this looked best. I'm very happy about it and he did great work. It was painted by hand. Now he's working on some red vinyl for the grill. Hopefully this helps. If you need any other pictures let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just got pinstripes added to my car on Saturday. Attached are the photos of how he did it. It looks similar to the one you attached. The guy I used ran into the same question as your guy about what would look best. After we talked about it for about we decided this looked best. I'm very happy about it and he did great work. It was painted by hand. Now he's working on some red vinyl for the grill. Hopefully this helps. If you need any other pictures let me know.
It was painted onto the car? Normally pin striping comes on a roll. You roll it out & apply it to the side of the car making sure it's straight, cut between panels & remove the clear film.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i like both stripping.
I've been thinking of doing the same thing to my 5 dr., but since is a lease I won't unless when the lease is up I buy mine back.
I won't do vinyl cause it doesn't hold up in r.i. weather.
I did my last 2 car in paint, more durable.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
It was painted onto the car? Normally pin striping comes on a roll. You roll it out & apply it to the side of the car making sure it's straight, cut between panels & remove the clear film.
I opted for paint because it's more durable than vinyl IMO.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Really love that you went hand painted for the pinstripes over the vinyl down the side. Always loved it and you can definitely tell the difference when you get up close. Being able to do pinstripes by hand like that is real difficult and I love seeing it get done. Real talent is needed.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Really love that you went hand painted for the pinstripes over the vinyl down the side. Always loved it and you can definitely tell the difference when you get up close. Being able to do pinstripes by hand like that is real difficult and I love seeing it get done. Real talent is needed.
Thanks! The guy was a true professional. He is contracted by new and used car dealerships in my area for his services. I was able to bring the car to his house for a few hours and he did it there, which he prefers. He normally travels to do the striping. All around great experience and worth the money, especially because he takes a lot of pride in it.

I'm really excited for the vinyl on the grill that he is working on for me.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I must admit usually pinstripes are not my thing, but coletrain, DAMMIT that looks good! I would never do the vinyl stripes as to me they just look cheesy and deteriorate over time, paint is definitely the way to go but it does take skill. I know some guys in our area that still do this paint by hand thing...maybe I need to give them a call...

·
Registered
149 Posts
So pinstripes are back now ? I remember helping my dad putting those on his Subaru's back in the late 70 and 80s. I used to hold it on one end while he pressed it to the car. Always got yelled at because I got bored and the strips ended not exactly where he wanted them. Back then 2 stripes were the thing: One thick and one thin.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Thanks 2017SportHatch!

Argoson, I'm not sure if they are making a comeback all over, but in my area a lot of cars have them (old & new). My Subaru dealer offers them on some of their cars as an appearance package. I'll admit I never thought I would like the look, but it adds something different to the car and matches the rims pretty well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
[/quote]I opted for paint because it's more durable than vinyl IMO.[/QUOTE]

More durable for sure but let's say someone got bored of it after a year & wanted to change the colors or style, it's more permanent than vinyl pinstripping. I'm glad they making a comeback though. Looks great on yours.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Hopefully I get bored of the car before the pinstripe haha:grin2:

Reactions: 1stsubie

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hopefully I get bored of the car before the pinstripe haha:grin2:
1500 grit sandpaper and high speed buffer with a decent compound and the stripes are gone, and so are the scratches...just saying. but i agree, you won't get bored of this car...

Reactions: 1stsubie

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oven cleaner takes it off with no damage to the paint. Ask your paint pin striper he will tell you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
will you please post the grille when you have it done? Id love to see how it turns out.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Love that. I saw that offered on some aftermarket sites although a sticker I?m sure. Love the red paint with the red badge
Yeah there is site that offers a package similar to mine. The guy that did my black/silver pinstriping did this for me then I added the red overlay. I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza LTD 5Dr Magnetite Gray Metalic.
91 Posts
High quality pinstripes are painted. Costs a bit more but with care, lasts longer. All fire trucks have their pinstripes hand painted. It’s an art.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts