5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 32GB flash drive to play mp3's, and I have lots of files, separated into different folder (mine, my kids names etc.). but since the system does not differentiate folders, I'd like to play just my music (without having to go through my kid's songs).

The manual state that m3u playlists are not supported, but there is an option to play playlists (including voice command "Play Playlist [playlist name]". So I was wondering what playlist file formats are supported ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 32GB flash drive to play mp3's, and I have lots of files, separated into different folder (mine, my kids names etc.). but since the system does not differentiate folders, I'd like to play just my music (without having to go through my kid's songs).

The manual state that m3u playlists are not supported, but there is an option to play playlists (including voice command "Play Playlist [playlist name]". So I was wondering what playlist file formats are supported ?
That's a good question. I find you'll have to number your tracks of importance together other wise you'll have a mess of tracks all over the place. The infotainment system just lists all of the media tracks in numerical or apha descending sort. (Ridiculous if you ask me.) Most aftermarket radios support folder view but this Subaru system does not? I have 128gig drive (my primary music source), and using the browser to get to where I want to go is just painful. I keep telling myself to write to Subaru about it, but I never do. I also don't like that long file names are truncated because it wants to find the graphic of the album to display. However the touch screen slider for advancing and retarding the time in the track is nice. But nether the less I'll keep an eye out on this thread.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After spending 40 minutes with SOA customer service, they claim that playlists are not supported, and the voice commands are for the phone, when connected to the system, to play any playlist saved in it.

Makes me miss my old ford's Sync system... Blah....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've made playlists (m3u and m3u8) work from the USB, though I had to edit it a bit.

Firstly, make/save your playlist on your USB stick at the base root music of your music. I have all my music in a folder called "music" on my usb stick, and I save my playlist into that folder.

Open the playlist file in a plain text editor (notepad, or Notepad++ is my favourite). You should see stuff like this:

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:320,One More Time
M:\Music\Daft Punk\Discovery\01 One More Time.mp4
#EXTINF:207,Aerodynamic
M:\Music\Daft Punk\Discovery\02 Aerodynamic.mp4
#EXTINF:298,Digital Love
M:\Music\Daft Punk\Discovery\03 Digital Love.mp4
As you can see the file path is absolute, which won't work well in the unit. We need to make the paths relative to the playlist, so since the playlist is in the \music file, I removed the drive and that folder.

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:320,One More Time
Daft Punk\Discovery\01 One More Time.mp4
#EXTINF:207,Aerodynamic
Daft Punk\Discovery\02 Aerodynamic.mp4
#EXTINF:298,Digital Love
Daft Punk\Discovery\03 Digital Love.mp4
Save it, and plug it in. After waiting for the unit to initialise the USB (ie read it alll), if you go to playlist you should see the filename of your playlist in there. tap it to show the songs, tap the first song and it should start playing. Also, the order it will play in is the order of the playlist. I found this quite useful if I like to listen to an album in the artist's preferred order.

*note* I'm doing this from memory, so some things may need a bit of tweaking if it doesn't quite work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've made playlists (m3u and m3u8) work from the USB, though I had to edit it a bit.
****, Man !! it works ! this is ridiculous. Subaru don't even know what their system is capable of. Cant believe it is that simple.

If anybody is looking for a media player capable of creating playlists (m3u) with relative paths (so that you don't have to edit it,just make sure you save the playlist file in the same directory of the music) I recommend Clementine. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I know for a fact it does support m3u files because I use them every day to listen to podcasts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about .wmp files from Windows media player?

Since I created my playlists via Windows Media Player, they look nothing like your .m3u file. Any info on how to convert those on a USB thumb drive?

Dennis Allard

·
Registered
320 Posts
.m3us have worked for me, I have them in the album folders.

I really wish I could get the head unit to play songs in anything but alphabetical order when playing an album without having to resort to playlists though, because then I could navigate with more control. The playlists all show up in one giant list.

I've tried renaming files alphabetically, FAT table sorting... my only assumption is it's actually alphabetizing by the tagged data for track name.

·
Registered
3 Posts
trouble with playlists

I know this is an old thread, but it seems to have the most specific info about using playlists.

Save it, and plug it in. After waiting for the unit to initialise the USB (ie read it alll), if you go to playlist you should see the filename of your playlist in there. tap it to show the songs, tap the first song and it should start playing. Also, the order it will play in is the order of the playlist. I found this quite useful if I like to listen to an album in the artist's preferred order.
I used Clementine to create a playlist with relative paths and saved it in my "Music" directory along with a couple of directories of mp3 files. All the mp3 files play just fine, but I do not see my playlist anywhere.

My head unit is the new harman kardon with navigation (7" screen, I think). Car is a 2018 STI limited. I loaded up the USB flash drive and built the playlist on macOs Sierra (10.12.6) if that is significant.

Thanks in advanced for any help / tips / pointers

·
Registered
1 Posts
So just got an 18 Forrester, assume same head unit. I've been battling with this for a while, came up with a few solutions:

files on USB, limitted to 255 songs in a directory, 9999 songs total. I tried a 64gb USB with 9000+ songs, did not finish scanning after 10 minutes
Went to a 16GB with just under 3000 songs, scans first time in about 4 minutes, second time (if I don't remove when I turn the car off) about a minute, I can live with this.

Playlists are not supported (M3U, etc) HOWEVER, there are fields in the ID3 data that can be used to create dynamic playlists. It will read artist, Genre, etc. It also has Composer which most people do not use. You can put a name in here and it will auto generate playlists by that name. Make Composer 1980's Rock in each song you want in your playlist and you now have a 1980's Rock playlist. There is a big negative with this, there is no way to just play songs by composer, since it continues to break down to album, so you need to remove album info from songs,

You also have the option of storing playlist songs in the same folder, since it will separately sort artist, album, etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Crazy that they claimed it didnt work, m3u playlist definitely DO work on my 17 impreza. Try mp3tag to make playlists easily, you can just right click on a folder, select MP3TAG and then just "create playlist", its about as fast as I have been able to find

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does your head unit actually show you a list of playlists? Nothing I have tried has gotten my head unit to acknowledge play lists (but I haven't tried using Mp3Tag to create the lists). I might have to find someone with a Windows machine so I can try Mp3Tag.

I would love it if someone could post an example of a working playlist, and maybe a picture of how their head unit displays the playlist (do they come up next to "folder", "artist" "album", etc menus or am I looking in the wrong place?)

Can your playlists reference files in multiple directories? Or can they only specify the order to play files in a single directory?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah it did. I got rid of it since so i cant check but the way I had it set up was each album in a folder, each playlist for that album in the folder. you can set the order in MP3tag but I never tried playlists outside of a folder (but dont see why that wouldnt work)

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, I found the '18 Impreza's 6.5" HU plays not only mp3 but also wav and flac (did not try ogg yet).
It also displays the tags in Cyrillic letters in cp1251 (did not check koi8 yet) as good as non-SGP Subaru (WRX '17).
It also switches between bluetooth-registered phones automatically as good as [sold sequentually :) ] BMW or Audi,
unlike my '17 WRX, required manual intervention.

Coming back to the playlist.
Did anybody find, how to "go back" to the ["song"] record listing WITHIN the played playlist (m3u),
other than to hit "Browse" and start all over, through the whole list of my m3u's, coming back to the one I play currently ?

BTW, did anybody play a video on the 6.5 (or 8") screen on the Impreza5 ?
And, non-SGP WRX with the navi optioned screen can change the "wall-paper" screen to
your own jpeg, as I read (not mine). Is that possible on an SGP Impreza (5) ?
Manual is horrible and not describes on how to handle your pretty weird HU.
Sysadmin-style troubleshooting approach helps a bit, but not much with limited time.

Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I just dumped more than 1,200 songs onto a thumb drive and plugged it in, I like the randomness but find that it will sometimes play the same like 20-30 songs over and over so I have to start it out mid list and then it will play the rest.

These head units have so many quirks it is wild using them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, I found the '18 Impreza's 6.5" HU plays not only mp3 but also wav and flac (did not try ogg yet).
It also displays the tags in Cyrillic letters in cp1251 (did not check koi8 yet) as good as non-SGP Subaru (WRX '17).
It also switches between bluetooth-registered phones automatically as good as [sold sequentually :) ] BMW or Audi,
unlike my '17 WRX, required manual intervention.
I am unable to get flac files to play on my 2021 Crosstrek Limited with the option package #33 radio. Did you do anything special? I tried everything I could think of which was a lot. I'm currently able to play an mp3 tree that was converted from my flac tree and the meta tags added to the mp3 files allow me to search by album, artist, folder, genre just fine but all meta data inherent in the path or file names was ignored, as was any meta data in m3u files. Curerntly I have 376 folders and 4416 files on an NTFS formatted 64G Sandisk USB stick and all seem to be present in the radio.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts