1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Impreza Sport Tech 4-Door, 2020 Legacy GT and 2007 H6 LL Bean
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Font Transparency Label Magenta

Wood Office ruler Hardwood Automotive exterior Flooring

I ordered body side mouldings for our new Impreza. It seems there's a real disparity between owners whether this is required. I had them on my 2007 OB, added them to our Legacy and now on our Impreza. I stand by them as they protect the car from door dings. Naturally if you live in the suburbs and have a driveway, this might not be as important. They are tough to find since the Sapphire Blue color is new this year. I ended up ordering them from the dealer. So the question, yay or nay?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered them for my new build. They do protect the car from door dings. People are careless and/or the wind blows their door into yours, Hell, I plan on having my new Subie for a long time so I want it to stay looking good for as long as possible.

But yeah, it's your car, so do what you like.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I did not vote because my reason for NOT preferring them was not listed.

From my perspective (driving 6 months/yr on salt-covered winter roads) .... ANYTHING which captures the salt and allows it to corrode the vehicle during hot/humid months is not desirable.

Additionally, many of these things reduce MPG by causing wind-drag.

This includes BodySideMolding, WheelWells and other items which serve no purpose but for "looks".

My base Impreza has NONE of those stick-on accoutrements and I get over 40MPG under the right conditions. For my money, someone else can stick them on their car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To each his/her own.

I have a 19 year old car in Michigan with body side molding and there is absolutely no rust anywhere near the molding. Subaru has one of the best rust warranties for new cars. I'm not worried about rust around the molding. I am worried about door dings.

I get it. A lot of people are obsessed with their cars and the way they look. They spend a lot of after-market money on this and that. That's fine; I am not one of them. I'm excited I am buying a new car, I'm ecstatic that it's a Subaru. I'm getting the Impreza 5-door in white with a black interior and I think it will look snazzy. But a car is primarily transportation for me. I want good, solid, reliable, AWD transportation. I want it to look nice, sure. And for me, body side moldings look better than door dings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just finished the installation. I was a bit annoyed that the trim didn’t come with installation instructions. I’ve added them in the past so it was pretty easy to figure out. I ended up making a YouTube video since all I could find online were instructions for Outbacks and Foresters.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just finished making a YouTube video on how to install the body side mouldings. It's strange that with so many Imprezas, there isn't a video available. The mouldings also fit the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The door protectors are an eyesore. What happens when someone door dings your front fender or rear quarter panel? Maybe you should get protectors for those panels too. You never know, just saying, you can't be too careful, right? I've had my Impreza for 4 years without door protectors and it has exactly zero door dings. Zero, not a single one. Only none.

My coworker has an Audi A4 that's over ten years old, daily driven. No door protectors on that car and zero door dings. I took a look around all the vehicles parked at my job, all daily driven. None of them have door protectors and guess what? No door dings on any of them! Work trucks? No door dings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The door protectors are an eyesore. What happens when someone door dings your front fender or rear quarter panel? Maybe you should get protectors for those panels too. You never know, just saying, you can't be too careful, right? I've had my Impreza for 4 years without door protectors and it has exactly zero door dings. Zero, not a single one. Only none.

My coworker has an Audi A4 that's over ten years old, daily driven. No door protectors on that car and zero door dings. I took a look around all the vehicles parked at my job, all daily driven. None of them have door protectors and guess what? No door dings on any of them! Work trucks? No door dings.
If you don't like them, don't put them on your car. I like them; I put them on my car. To each his own.

I also have the added warranty plan that will fix dents and dings anywhere on the car, so I'm good, thanks. My dealer threw that in. I suppose some would say that I don't need the moldings if I have the warranty plan, but I like them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The body trim is intended to protect your doors from another car's door hitting it. Unless you park on an angle, there's no way to have a door bang your quarter panels.

Alternately, you can protect your door from damage by putting door edge guards on. I think those serve no real purpose.

I live in a urban area where parking spots are about 18-20 inches apart. You have to hold the door because you can't even get to the first door hold "indent". In these areas, every car has a door ding. I'm an average side guy and need to squeeze out of the door. That's like in city parking lots. On the other hand, the doors from cars parking in suburban parking lots (with Costco-like extra wide spaces) don't suffer the same fate and probably don't need them. My work parking spots give us 12 inch of mirror-to-mirror space.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts