5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the tops of my front strut towers fill with water every time it rains. There were rubber 'plugs' on the strut towers but when I popped them off, the plugs are only holding water under them. Rust was already developing on the strut-towers because they have been soaking wet for months.

Being an engineer, it is easy for me to see why water fills the strut towers. Rain water runs down the windshield under the hood and gets collected into a 'channel' which directs the water to both sides. Unfortunately, this 'channel' ends DIRECTLY above each of the front strut-towers so the water pours into them every time it rains.

Has anyone else noticed water collecting in the top of front strut towers?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've noticed the same, and now I always check for water and dry out under the caps after every car wash or rain. Be sure to check under your front strut tower caps guys, if you haven't, you probably have water/rust under your cap. Definite design issue. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is stunning.... Might this leakage be related to the creaky subframe/strut tops other users have reported? Just pulled my caps off and water found its way underneath both, while the drivers side was worse.

I'm a fellow Washington state resident Dan... checking these after each rain would be incredibly tedious to say the least. Thank you both for the heads up.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine was missing a cover from the factory and I haven't caught any water in there yet... ill look tonight and let you know but this is a definite design flaw. Maybe covering it with tape will keep water out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm a fellow Washington state resident Dan... checking these after each rain would be incredibly tedious to say the least. Thank you both for the heads up.
Hey Slicktop, good to have a fellow Washingtonian on the forum. I take it you're located west of the Cascades. Are you part of the RainCitySubies car club? I'm a member of the LilacCitySubies club out of Spokane, but I'm located in central Washington, near the Columbia River. Here in central WA, we see under 8 inches of rain and over 300+ days of sun annually. No rain in the forecast here for the next week. Most of the state, west of the Cascades receive something like 3+ feet of rail annually. It does seem like a lot of people, who don't know any better, think it rains all the time, all over Washington. Not true, sunny and warm here today! A reason why we're seeing such fast growth just east of the Cascades. Let me know if you ever come out to a concert at the Gorge Amphitheater, I'm just up the road! Have a good one!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I forgot to mention that summer we went over 100 days without rain out here! Let's hope that doesn't happen this summer!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I checked mine today, no water in either strut. The right was very clean, the left side had what looked like powdered rust, I was easy to clean out but no rust under the powder. The rubber cap didn't show any sign of leaking.

The strut rod cap nut had a little rust, I removed it to clean it and noticed
it wasn't very tight. The strut rod was turning, there is star type hole in
the top of the strut rod I used a T40 bit to keep the rod from turning. After cleaning I replaced the nut and made sure it was tight.

I have owned lots of cars with front struts and they all look about the same, and are in the same area. It's not really something that that should be in a dry location, it's impossible to keep them dry when running through lots of water.

Clifton

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OP here: It sounds as if there is concurrence that this is a common problem with the GEN5 Impreza design.

The first thing I have done is leave those silly rubber plugs OUT of way so they do not capture water underneath them which cannot evaporate.

I will also be coating the tops of my front strut towers with 'Fluid Film' metal protectant. ( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film-1-oz-Lanolin-Based-Petroleum-Oil/50335157?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-Tools-Lubricants-_-50335157:Fluid_Film&CAWELAID=&kpid=50335157&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2693&k_clickID=312a098f-3c59-47ba-bd99-a785aaf642e1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI266bpr302gIV1luGCh0WVwFZEAQYAyABEgIBBvD_BwE )

I have considered a couple ways to prevent the water intrusion from happening.
*) Fabricate some plastic/rubber 'extenders' for the ends of the 'channel' to guide the water away from the tops of my front strut towers.
*) Cut up an old inner-tube to put over the tops of my front strut towers which are secured around the perimeters of the tower-tops.

----------
A deeper concern I have at this point with the highly-touted "Subaru global platform" is what I CANNOT see.... I live in a state where copious amounts of salt/sand are spread on the roads for 6 months of the year. If there was not a LOT of attention paid to prevent collection of salty mud within pockets of the steel framework.... my Impreza will not last very long.

·
Registered
208 Posts
OP here: It sounds as if there is concurrence that this is a common problem with the GEN5 Impreza design.

The first thing I have done is leave those silly rubber plugs OUT of way so they do not capture water underneath them which cannot evaporate.

I will also be coating the tops of my front strut towers with 'Fluid Film' metal protectant. ( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film-1-oz-Lanolin-Based-Petroleum-Oil/50335157?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-Tools-Lubricants-_-50335157:Fluid_Film&CAWELAID=&kpid=50335157&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2693&k_clickID=312a098f-3c59-47ba-bd99-a785aaf642e1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI266bpr302gIV1luGCh0WVwFZEAQYAyABEgIBBvD_BwE )

I have considered a couple ways to prevent the water intrusion from happening.
*) Fabricate some plastic/rubber 'extenders' for the ends of the 'channel' to guide the water away from the tops of my front strut towers.
*) Cut up an old inner-tube to put over the tops of my front strut towers which are secured around the perimeters of the tower-tops.

----------
A deeper concern I have at this point with the highly-touted "Subaru global platform" is what I CANNOT see.... I live in a state where copious amounts of salt/sand are spread on the roads for 6 months of the year. If there was not a LOT of attention paid to prevent collection of salty mud within pockets of the steel framework.... my Impreza will not last very long.
I seriously hope the engineers thought of this... its one of the problems of buying a completely redesigned car... All of the flaws like this are not worked out. If that flaw does exist though, there should be a recall or some support from Subaru. I have a 6-year warranty and I don't plan on keeping it longer than that as the next gen will be out by then.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i also have this problem on both strut plates.
i was thinking of using a rust preventative like undercoating this area and maybe covering them with plastic and a rubber band.
going to dealer tomorrow to what bs they are going to give me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
....I have owned lots of cars with front struts and they all look about the same, and are in the same area. It's not really something that that should be in a dry location, it's impossible to keep them dry when running through lots of water.
Did you ever own a car which collected rainwater on the top of the strut towers while parked?

·
Registered
325 Posts
No, that's not right. I have yet to check mine, but I'm already coming up with solutions to the problem while reading this. Here goes some fabrication "artist".

The best I was able to think up to fix the problem is to develop an air tight/moisture cap that can be removed if necessary. First thought was about an off the shelf freeze plug; but, then decided to get the best and tightest fit possible is to make a custom silicone plug. Cured, soft silicone is naturally adherent when the surface is smooth. If mine are wet, I'll develop something in that fashion. This way it can rain, and the water can go elsewhere and not sit the pot rusting the bolt to the chassis.

·
Registered
121 Posts
just came back from the dealer, they agree there is a problem. they clean the corrosion off and spray a rust preservative on and was sent on my way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
“Did you ever own a car whichcollected rainwater on the top of the strut towers while parked? “

I’m not sure, because that’ssomething I haven’t made a habit of checking. I will say I have I have neverhad a strut tower failure.

Looking at my car and making some checksby pouring a big bucket of water down the windshield this morning the waterdoes not go into the engine compartment. It travels in a valley between thewindshield and the engine compartment. There are several drain points in thisvalley. The water all drained on the driveway

The seal that ends over the struts isnot a water path, if you look carefully
the seal and it’s support isisolated from the windshield drain valley . I believe the purpose of that sealis for the rear of the hood and the body cowl and is not causing water to drainon the struts.

Next I poured a bucket of water on topof each strut, with rubber caps installed. The right strut didn’t leak.However, the left (driver side) did get some water. Both rubber caps didn’tindicate any indication of leaking. I believe the water leaked around the strutwhere it attaches to the body

I’m going to the dealer in a fewdays for my (free?) service. I’ll ask them to check the strut tops for leakage.

Clifton

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Come on guys...engineers don't make mistakes:wink2:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
just came back from the dealer, they agree there is a problem. they clean the corrosion off and spray a rust preservative on and was sent on my way.
Rust preservative or preventative? I don't think I want them preserving my rust:surprise:

:smile2:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
....... I will say I have I have never had a strut tower failure.
Here in Vermont where salt is spread on the roads for 6 months of the year... EVERYTHING gets rusty and falls apart. Even on "normal" cars which do not have this water-problem, the top of the strut-towers have been known to give-way and the spring pushes the top of the strut up into the hood.

Hopefully, after having the exhaust and subframe welded several times... one considers trading up to a less-rusty vehicle before this happens.

·
Registered
232 Posts
"Here in Vermont where salt is spread on the roads for 6 months of the year... EVERYTHING gets rusty and falls apart. Even on "normal" cars which do not have this water-problem, the top of the strut-towers have been known to give-way and the spring pushes the top of the strut up into the hood."

I haven't always lived in Florida, Chicago over 6 years, Detroit 3 years, Alaska 5 years and North Carolina 38 years. So I know about 12 month exhaust system and rust holes in 2 years or less. I didn't have cars with struts when I lived in the rust belt.

Clifton

1 - 20 of 258 Posts