5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
My wife and I both have 2018 Imprezas. However, we purchased mine in february and her's in August. Mine has a build date of 11-17 and still has the small strut caps with bonus rust feature upgrade. Hers has the larger strut caps, but don't be fooled, her's still has some rust. NOT anywhere close to mine, but it's present, and still collets a little bit of water. I've ordered the new dust seals for mine and will be doing the full treatment on both Imprezas. This is not an issue you can ignore even if you have the larger dust seals.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Tackled this project over the weekend.

My wife's car had the bigger caps, but still had some rust. So we did a wire brush and a very quick rust treatment to dissolve what we couldn't get. We used the ShopVac and hose to wash them out and make sure all the rust treatment was out, let it dry, and sprayed a rust preventative primer and enamel paint. My 2018 (build date 11-17) had the small caps and had a ton of rust - the same procedure took significantly longer. Scrub, treat, rinse, rinse, rinse, prime, paint. I have the new covers ordered but it's going to take a while for them to get here since every Subaru warehouse in the US is sold out of them. Until then, I'm not even putting the covers back on. Water can get in, but the problem is it can't evaporate. Once I get the covers, I'm going to toss some grease in there and slap those things on and call it done...over-done probably, but still done.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I checked in with my dealership to find out what part is taking so long. They said it's the new top caps. From a little more discussion, they said the reason they would drop the suspension would be to paint the tops. That's not what I was told when the car was in last time, but at least now I know what they were planning. I told them I might not need the new caps because they won't work with my lift kit that they will be installing. So now the car goes back in next week for them to finish the TSB and then lift the car a bit. :D

·
Banned
83 Posts
I checked in with my dealership to find out what part is taking so long. They said it's the new top caps. From a little more discussion, they said the reason they would drop the suspension would be to paint the tops. That's not what I was told when the car was in last time, but at least now I know what they were planning. I told them I might not need the new caps because they won't work with my lift kit that they will be installing. So now the car goes back in next week for them to finish the TSB and then lift the car a bit. /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
I’m really surprised they are pulling the suspension. Why not throw paint tarp over the strut caps, tape them up, and get it done?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^^^me too...somethings very strange with this...no reason at all to drop the suspension and the TSB does not call for that action.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
I am in my SECOND WEEK of waiting for new strut-caps after ordering and paying for them. (special order items must be prepaid)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Finally got this resolved. Had the car into the dealership yesterday and they performed TSB SB 05.06.18 which is "remove rust and apply rust protection". They also replace the caps with the new larger versions. No charge of course. I am assuming they will still leak some water so I will make it part of the ongoing maintenance to clean them out once in awhile.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I expect to see the caps in about 6 weeks. The car isn't going to rust through in 6 weeks so I don't mind the wait. I put some grease inside there to repel water while I wait. ETA from the technician was around october or early november.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I am assuming they will still leak some water so I will make it part of the ongoing maintenance to clean them out once in awhile.
Based on the new design, they actually should not get any water in them at all but you can certainly check:wink2: The new cover overlaps the edges so any water should roll right down the sides and not into the opening. Subaru also stated the interior of the new cap has been redesigned to seal better as well. I guess we'll see:smile2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Based on the new design, they actually should not get any water in them at all but you can certainly check:wink2: The new cover overlaps the edges so any water should roll right down the sides and not into the opening. Subaru also stated the interior of the new cap has been redesigned to seal better as well. I guess we'll see:smile2:
I would be interested to hear from those that have the larger seals to know if they still leak!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have the larger seals and have had them for quite a while and I can assure you that NOTHING gets inside.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
.... just an update, I paid for my new strut-caps 3 weeks ago and they are STILL backorderd at the dealership. (I have the receipt taped to my wall and call the dealership weekly to inquire about order-status)

·
Banned
83 Posts
I would be interested to hear from those that have the larger seals to know if they still leak!
they still leak. My wife’s Impreza came with the large caps (mine didn’t) however she had water in one of them. I’ve posted this in this thread already, but I’ll say it again: this isn’t something you can swap caps out, close the hood, and never think about again.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
they still leak. My wife’s Impreza came with the large caps (mine didn’t) however she had water in one of them. I’ve posted this in this thread already, but I’ll say it again: this isn’t something you can swap caps out, close the hood, and never think about again.
Very interesting in that mine have had zero issues since replacing them. You can always place a small bead of clear silicone around the strut tower and then press the new cap back on to give it a weather tight seal since it will, most likely, not have to be removed for 100K miles or more. Another option is to call SOA and get a new file started.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very interesting in that mine have had zero issues since replacing them. You can always place a small bead of clear silicone around the strut tower and then press the new cap back on to give it a weather tight seal since it will, most likely, not have to be removed for 100K miles or more. Another option is to call SOA and get a new file started.
I have had the new seals for a month now and no leaking!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just a reminder that every service center is different. I was thinking that a TSB meant they would do the work under warranty if there was a problem related directly to it OR it was requested as preventative maintenance.

I took my car in for the 30k mile service. While it was there I asked them to get started on the strut caps (I assumed they'd have to order them in). After they looked at it they claimed it was not bad enough to do the work. "The TSBs only apply if there is an actionable problem". Apparently rust under those caps is not an actionable problem?

This might work out to my advantage anyway. After reading the instructions presented in the TSB, and the reality of how they would likely "fix" it, I think I would rather do it myself. I was just hoping for some free updated caps. Now I think I'll deal with the rust and just seal the caps with a little silicone.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just buy the caps...mine cost about $6 for the two of them. I prepped the area like in the TSB and sealed it all myself. Your dealer is an idiot to not do the fix. It (TSB) says nothing about how bad it needs to look. If there is any sign of rust...that, in itself, is plenty. It is a fix to resolve a poor engineering decision and if you push your dealer harder they will do it.

201 - 220 of 258 Posts