5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

221 - 240 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just buy the caps...mine cost about $6 for the two of them. I prepped the area like in the TSB and sealed it all myself. Your dealer is an idiot to not do the fix. It (TSB) says nothing about how bad it needs to look. If there is any sign of rust...that, in itself, is plenty. It is a fix to resolve a poor engineering decision and if you push your dealer harder they will do it.
Certainly they were just trying to avoid work. They also have a sign out front that they are looking for service techs. Not a good situation.

I did complain to the service manager. I am hoping something comes of that.

I will check around and see if I can find the caps somewhere that ships cheap. The closest Subaru dealer is over an hour away from me. Shipping from Subaru was more than the caps cost.

I hope they honor their warranty. Otherwise I'm just treating the rust and stuffing the strut with grease and shoving on the old cap.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got mine done yesterday, and software update along with an oil change. Ill assess their work this weekend when I am back home. 2 months of waiting. It better be good. They kept dodging TSBs and making excuses. Williams Subaru of Lansing Michigan aint that great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my 2018 Impreza sport 2 months ago. Shortly after that I noticed that under the right angle I can see under the engine hood and out on the side (see picture attached). I popped up the hood and I saw something that makes no sense. There is no weather stripping on the sides. There is a short one next to the windshield but it does not go all the way to the sides. I can easily slip my hand inside under the hood. I went to the dealership to discuss about some issues with the radio and I asked if it is normal to have such a big opening that will allow leaves, pine cones, even squirrels to go under the hood. He said all the cars are the same and it is OK. I told him I had not washed my car because I was afraid water the will go in and he said it was OK as the water will follow a drainage on the side. So I went and washed my car and checked under the hood. There was water and soap everywhere on the sides. The battery was covered in many droplets of water. After that I found this issue and yesterday after work I checked the location of this strut cap. It is right there, where there is no weather stripping!

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought my 2018 Impreza sport 2 months ago. Shortly after that I noticed that under the right angle I can see under the engine hood and out on the side (see picture attached). I popped up the hood and I saw something that makes no sense. There is no weather strip on the sides. There is a short one next to the windshield but it does not go all the way to the sides. I can easily slip my hand inside under the hood. I went to the dealership to discuss about some issues with the radio and I asked if it is normal to have such a big opening that will allow leaves, pine cones, even squirrels to go under the hood. He said all the cars are the same and it is OK. I told him I had not washed my car because I was afraid water the will go in and he said it was OK as the water will follow a drainage on the side. So I went and washed my car and checked under the hood. There was water and soap everywhere on the sides. The battery was covered in many droplets of water. After that I found this issue and yesterday after work I checked the location of this strut cap. It is right there, where there is no weather strip!
Thats a little weird. The guy said it’s normal? Because mine is not like that at all.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
My updated strut-caps finally arrived at the dealership and I picked them up.

After giving them a quick coat of rubber-protectent grease on the bottom-side (to help them make a good seal) they fit like a glove over the strut-caps. I see no way that water could get underneath them.

On a similar note, I chatted with the sales counter person asking them WHY it took over a month for these to get here. He said that they have NEVER had these things before. Even after I mentioned that these caps are part of TSB on all 2017 Impreza, he repeated that they NEVER had these things before.

...apparently, not many Impreza owners have complained about water in the top of the struts. (A TSB is only applied AFTER a customer complains.....unlike a RECALL which is always a SAFETY issue)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
...apparently, not many Impreza owners have complained about water in the top of the struts. (A TSB is only applied AFTER a customer complains.....unlike a RECALL which is always a SAFETY issue)
They (customers) are not complaining because they don't know and haven't removed the caps to look. Why would they if you are a "typical" buyer and do no maintenance on your own. The dealers should really check this every time a car comes in for service and automatically perform the TSB...that's great customer service:wink2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
They (customers) are not complaining because they don't know and haven't removed the caps to look. Why would they if you are a "typical" buyer and do no maintenance on your own. The dealers should really check this every time a car comes in for service and automatically perform the TSB...that's great customer service:wink2:
Exactly right! The typical owner never opens the hood never mind pulling off seals to look for rust. I don't understand why dealers are so hesitant to do the TSB... they get paid by Subaru!

I will give my dealer credit because they did the work no questions asked when I requested the TSB. When I suggested that they just give me the caps and I would do the work myself they advised against it. They said much better to have it on the file that the work was done by the dealer and it would not cost me anything. But I was the first and only customer to request the TSB.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^^^a very BAD idea. Why not just get the updated caps and call it a day??? Mine have been in for several months and I just checked them yesterday and not a single drop of moisture in them so they are doing what they are designed to do. Why let water inside and have to continually clean them out when you can just have the TSB done.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi

Yeah my car is in warranty and eventually I'll grab them during a service or something. Currently I have no strut caps on at all. I figure the water can evaporate since its open. Also the fluid film should protect the rust from forming if I reapply it once it awhile. What damage am I causing if it's already coated and water can freely evaporate? Is the puddle of water going to seep into something else because there is no cap?

Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
I haven't been able to get new caps yet - just leaving them off seems to let the water evaporate. These engines run pretty hot!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been trying to send an update but I forgot my password and I tried to change it a few times but I did not get an email with the new password. Anyways, I made a new account. When I went to the dealership for the radio update I had time to walk around and look at the 2019 models. All the models have a gap under the hood on the windshield side on both sides, enough to put your palm inside. Standing next to the front door and looking under the right angle you can see the gap I noticed in my car, see picture. The Outback looked the worst, I could see the engine under the hood through this gap. The dealership said that the design is like that and there should be no issue; the engine is water-sealed and water won't do any damage if it goes inside. Subaru Canada did not want to comment they said that for technical issues I should contact the dealership. In the meantime I found gaskets for Impreza on Aliexpress for less than $100.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
@Cata...if you just install the redesigned strut tower caps you won't have to worry about this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had the new strut tower caps for a couple of months now and we have had some pretty heavy rains but the new caps work! Inside the strut tower is dry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I checked under the hood during the rain and I did not see any sign of water. However after washing the car there is lots of water and soap under the hood. With the snow that we have just had I also noticed that wiping the windshield down and towards the outside I am getting snow under the hood.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not having that issue here in Florida:wink2:

221 - 240 of 258 Posts