5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a 2019 Impreza 2.0I 5dr automatic transmission. A few days ago it stopped turning on and from doing some research it sounds like the starter is broken. Anyone else have any issues with this?

· Registered
771 Posts
Anyone else have any issues with this?
Stuff happens.

You have 2 choices
  1. Troubleshoot yourself
  2. Trust others to do the work honestly

---------------------------------
If you wish to do some quick troubleshooting with voltmeter.
  • Clip negative lead on one of the starter bolts.
  • Clip positive lead on small (push on) connector on starter.(wire still connected to starter)
Expect ~0v normally.
Expect battery-voltage when key is in "start" position.(and hear a loud CLIK just before starter cranks)

Tell us what you observed and we can help isolate the problem.

· Registered
132 Posts
Hi everyone! I have a 2019 Impreza 2.0I 5dr automatic transmission. A few days ago it stopped turning on and from doing some research it sounds like the starter is broken. Anyone else have any issues with this?
My wife's 2019 Crosstrek starter died.

Starter motor would run, but wouldn't turn engine.

I though it would be a clutch solenoid, but they ended up replacing the whole starter under warranty.

· Registered
771 Posts
I though it would be a clutch solenoid, but they ended up replacing the whole starter under warranty.
You were correct. It was the starter-solenoid. However, Subaru does not carry it as spare part. Need to replace starter which INCLUDES the starter-solenoid.

There is no such thing as a perfect machine and failures occor, this is what warantee is intended to cover.

· Registered
132 Posts
You were correct. It was the starter-solenoid. However, Subaru does not carry it as spare part. Need to replace starter which INCLUDES the starter-solenoid.

There is no such thing as a perfect machine and failures occor, this is what warantee is intended to cover.
Well, that would've toasted my cookie if I actually had to pay for it.

Of course, that warranty isn't going to last forever ...

· Registered
132 Posts
Well, that would've toasted my cookie if I actually had to pay for it.

Of course, that warranty isn't going to last forever ...
Subaru's lack of low level spare parts is starting to get to me.

While replacing the battery, I lost the spring which tensions the release button for the glovebox key on the key fob - like a 50¢ part - and the Subaru dealer's solution was to replace the damaged key fob for $300 and do a resync of the car, the new fob, and the old working fob for another $70.

A ball point pen spring would've probably done the trick, but I found a bag of 20 springs .12" in diameter for $10 on Amazon and used one of those springs, cutting it down until the tension was about right. Now I've got a lifetime supply if it ever happens again.

But still - $370 because they didn't carry a tiny ⅛" OD x ½ L" spring. Incredible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts