5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not on my Impreza but my 2018 Legacy. A little history. I got the tires rotated a few days ago and changed the oil today. I haven't really been driving the car much because my wife has been taking it to work to put miles on it.

Well today after the oil change I noticed a sound that kinda sounds like whirring (spelling?) and thumping. I notice it more at slower speeds and when turning it gets louder.

Any thoughts? Car has 35k miles and is just at 4 years old. Unfortunately, I'm leaving on Saturday for vacation and we are taking that car. It figures this happens right before I leave.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not on my Impreza but my 2018 Legacy. A little history. I got the tires rotated a few days ago and changed the oil today. I haven't really been driving the car much because my wife has been taking it to work to put miles on it.

Well today after the oil change I noticed a sound that kinda sounds like whirring (spelling?) and thumping. I notice it more at slower speeds and when turning it gets louder.

Any thoughts? Car has 35k miles and is just at 4 years old. Unfortunately, I'm leaving on Saturday for vacation and we are taking that car. It figures this happens right before I leave.
Have a passenger stick their head out the window to see if it sounds like it’s coming from one wheel. Normally with a wheel bearing though, it gets worse at higher speeds and it’s consistent through turns.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a passenger stick their head out the window to see if it sounds like it’s coming from one wheel. Normally with a wheel bearing though, it gets worse at higher speeds and it’s consistent through turns.
What would you think if it was at slower speeds? Like 30, 25 and slower?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to the dealer. Tires are cupped. Probably noticing now because I just got a rotation done. I'll deal with it because the tires have plenty of tread and replacing them isn't in the budget.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Went to the dealer. Tires are cupped. Probably noticing now because I just got a rotation done. I'll deal with it because the tires have plenty of tread and replacing them isn't in the budget.
I would get a second opinion. You can test it yourself too, jack up the car, spin the wheel without it touching the ground. If it’s still making noise at all, it’s not cupping and probably a bearing. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would get a second opinion. You can test it yourself too, jack up the car, spin the wheel without it touching the ground. If it’s still making noise at all, it’s not cupping and probably a bearing. Hope that helps.
I'll have to do that when I get back from my trip. Regardless, I have a 10yr warranty and if they are bad they will get replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts