5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first car, my high school car had 79hp! 1979 Audi Fox. It went 0-60 in around 12 seconds. It was one of the fastest imports in the school.

In 1979 the Pontiac Firebird had around 105hp (V6) and around 150hp for the entry level 8.

In 1980 the entry level Corvette had 180hp.

I had a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker with 350hp.

I had a 1978 Chevy Caprice with 220hp.

I was thinking about power as I was driving some back roads today in our "slow" cars. Would it be nice to have more power? Of course, do we have enough? Is it more than some cars and less than others? That goes without saying.

I guess this is a "be happy with what you have" thread.:grin2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't really get the complainers about the power level. You bought a reasonable car, not a "sports car" or "muscle car" or whatever.

In that context, it does great. If I smash the gas, something happens, immediately. We have a Mercedes that cost 3x as much that has so much computer filtering on the gas pedal that it's almost impossible to back out of a parking spot without looking like you're 80 years old. (N.B., the expensive Merc is a lot easier to drive on the freeway .. but that's about its only advantage!)

I got this car to replace a 1998 Corolla. It's better in every possible respect, and that Corolla was an absolutely fantastic economy car.

You have to pay money to get performance. I paid around $33k for the GTO new in 2005, and I'm sure I've spent more than another $33k on it since then on all the goodies. That car gets with the program, making well over 500hp at the rear wheels.

But I don't miss the craziness while I'm driving my new Subie. I actually enjoy trying to max out the MPG. And I actually really like the suspension setup. For the small stuff it probably outdoes the big brute GTO.

Anyway, thanks for bringing the subject up. Everything in life needs to be taken in context and this is one example of how being a few years older really deserves some respect. (BTW, I graduated HS in 1997 .. I thought _I_ was old! :)

P.S.:

1st car: 1991 Tercel
2nd car: 1978 E-150
3rd car: 1993 Miata L.E.
4th car: 2005 Pontiac GTO
5th car: 1986 Nissan Stanza Wagon
6th car: 1999 Jeep XJ
7th car: 1998 Corolla
8th car: 2018 Impreza

·
Registered
778 Posts
I could list all my cars here...but I don't have my notebook with my list in it at the moment. I am 44 and have owned almost 40 vehicles since I was 15. I get what CJ is trying to say. after looking at it, our lil 2.0 Boxer in our Imprezas aren't too shabby. that doesn't mean we don't long for more power. I have owned a plethora of vehicles, some with less than 150hp and some with over 500hp. all things considered, the Impreza is a perfect car for what our family needed at the time we bought it. I find myself enjoying it more and more each day. I'm actually gonna miss driving it in October when our daughter takes it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The first cars I drove a lot were Taurus wagons with Ford's Vulcan V6. Those engines produced more noise than go, even though on paper they would seem on par or better than the 2L in our Imprezas.

My previous car was a 2005 Legacy GT (with a manual), which obviously had plenty more torque and power on tap.

Do I feel the Impreza is slow? Not really. It is obviously not as quick as the Legacy but around town the CVT and responsiveness of the engine make it feel quite good overall. Sure, I won't pull out and around people as easily on the highway, but even there I've not found myself unable to do what I need to do unless someone else also decides to accelerate at the same time.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like a weekend car with up to 300HP and a manual, but I'm happy with this car for what it is. I wanted a hatch or wagon and I got those things with a noticeably lower cost of ownership compared to my old Legacy and it's more expensive taste in fuel. The Impreza also handles better than the Legacy, making "slow car fast" a hoot.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My first car, my high school car had 79hp! 1979 Audi Fox. It went 0-60 in around 12 seconds. It was one of the fastest imports in the school.

One of my first cars was 1979 VW Scirocco... this was VWs 'sports car' complete with fuel-injected 1.5L engine with about 80HP. This thing would approach 87 MPH if you had about 2 miles of straight, level road. The MANUAL rack-n-pinion steering was very precise but one had to have forearms like Popeye the sailor if the car was sitting still.

My 2017 Impreza is light-years ahead of that and has more power than I will ever need.

·
Administrator
767 Posts
1st car: 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van (high top w/ a TV in it. It was aqua too. Extremely ugly, terrible on gas and most of the doors didn't work, Despite all of that it was still a fun vehicle to drive especially with my friends.)

2nd car: 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe (I put over 100,000mi on this and it had a ton of issues. One day I killed the engine while on the freeway, literally the car just shutdown while doing 60mph+. Somebody bought the car and replaced the engine.)

3rd car: 2013 Toyota Corolla S (I needed a car to replace the Cavy and this was the winner. It was a great car, but I had some bad luck with it. I wanted to own this car for a long time, but I ended up trading it in for the Impreza.)

4th car: 2001 Chevy Tahoe (I bought this from a co-worker who offered me a really good deal so I could have a 4wd vehicle instead of the Corolla. It has 191k on it and when I got it in 2015 it had 175k, I don't use it much now since it guzzles gas, but it's great in the snow.)

5th car: 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport 5dr (I was anticipating on moving to Rhode Island this time last year and wanted something that was awd. I wasn't going to bring the Tahoe up North so this was going to replace both vehicles. Long story short I ended up staying here, but buying this car was the best thing that could've happened.)

6th car: TBD

Needless to say none of the cars I've owned have ever been fast. I'm fine with the HP on this car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The first car that I ever had was one of the biggest turds in automotive history. An '80 Ford Fairmont. I'm guessing maybe 100hp ( with a strong tail wind ). Total crap.

Other end of the spectrum was a '71 Cuda 340 ( numbers matching! ). Rated at 275hp. That was a conservative estimate from back in the day. Most fun that I've ever had in a car. When it hit 3K rpm....hang on!

I also had a 71 Charger with a 383 2 barrel ( blew that up due to oil pump dying ), and then transplanted a 440 4 barrel. Fast in a straight line, but such a tank.

Car that I still have is an unkillable '04 Civic. Bought new in '04. 223,000 miles now. Runs and drives just fine. 117 hp I think. I still drive that occasionally to keep the battery up. Like night and day compared to my '18 Sport, as expected. It's wild how "loose" it feels compared to the Subie. Steering feels uber heavy.

We've also had trucks, and '03 Escape,a '90 Firebird ( 6 cylinder, boo! ), a '90 Grand Am, a '97 Intrepid, an '85 LTD, an '84 Cavalier, and we still have a '10 CRV.

For a small 4 cylinder car, the Impreza does feel faster than the other 4 cylinders that I've owned, but it's new, and maybe that is just me.

·
Administrator
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2019 Forester gets a newly-upgraded 2.5-liter boxer engine with direct-injection now producing 182 horsepower with improved fuel economy (33 mpg highway). Imagine how great that ending would be in the Impreza.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The 2019 Forester gets a newly-upgraded 2.5-liter boxer engine with direct-injection now producing 182 horsepower with improved fuel economy (33 mpg highway). Imagine how great that ending would be in the Impreza.
this would be awesome in my opinion. but Subaru probably won't even consider it for the Impreza.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Traditionally, Subaru trots out new engines into Forester for a couple years before they migrate into the Outback. This makes good business sense... make sure engine is reliable and the kinks are worked out of it BEFORE deploying into your flagship top-seller.

·
Administrator
767 Posts
I'm very much considering a Forester in the near feature. I probably wouldn't go with a 2019, but a 2020 is very possible. The Sport model looks pretty cool.

·
Administrator
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was watching the original Smokey and the Bandit, that 1977 Trans Am only had 200hp only about 50 more than our cars. Just crazy to think about.

·
Registered
778 Posts
but...drive a fast car fast, then you really have FUN!

·
Administrator
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm very much considering a Forester in the near feature. I probably wouldn't go with a 2019, but a 2020 is very possible. The Sport model looks pretty cool.
I have had two Fozzies (one of them a Sport model) I liked them both a lot. Chances are I will drive this car for 5 or 6 years and then buy another Forester.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 2018 Forester is the last year with a turbo-- the XT. My husband has a 2015 and it has a lot of power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts