5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
I see buying a sport model like buying a prebuilt gaming box. What's the fun in that? Much more fun to start basic and build. :)
While partially true, I save the time for building out my Miata and Isuzu - keep the daily driver free from having a mod affect me being able to drive it. Different ethos, some people want to build each of their cars, others build one and not another, while even more people just want something to have all the features they want from the get go and 'just work'.

Some people build their gaming rigs, others buy them, some want a console & some want to use a Mac :)

· Registered
2023 Impreza base sedan 5 spd
24 Posts
While partially true, I save the time for building out my Miata and Isuzu - keep the daily driver free from having a mod affect me being able to drive it. Different ethos, some people want to build each of their cars, others build one and not another, while even more people just want something to have all the features they want from the get go and 'just work'.

Some people build their gaming rigs, others buy them, some want a console & some want to use a Mac :)
i came off sounding like i was knocking the Sport. i didn't communicate that well. different preferences for sure and non are 'better' than the other. regarding the Sport, i was never able to get any hard specs regarding the suspension beyond 'sport tuned.' i would want to know who makes the components (OEM), and what are the specs. otherwise to me, 'sport tuned' is marketing lingo. as an example, i can get BC Racing coilovers for ~ $1000 plus installation (~$300). i've also seen threads that say you have to do x to get sway bars, and others that say they bolt right on. I've decided that you have to experiment and do research which can get frustrating so i totally get why some would avoid this and just buy a Sport. :)

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,768 Posts
i came off sounding like i was knocking the Sport. i didn't communicate that well. different preferences for sure and non are 'better' than the other. regarding the Sport, i was never able to get any hard specs regarding the suspension beyond 'sport tuned.' i would want to know who makes the components (OEM), and what are the specs.

Snip
This was all I could find.

Sport tuned suspension
Front - independent Stablex struts with coil springs, lower L arms, stabilizer bar.
Stablex front MacPherson struts and rear shock absorbers are larger in diameter and have revised internal valves designed to deliver a more stable ride and more responsive handling. front Rear- independent, double wishbone, coil spring, rear stabilizer bar

above from here: 2019 Impreza Subaru specs, options, prices, dimensions, measurements and more

Some of that overall handling improvement is due to the new Stablex dampers used in the Impreza struts. Stablex dampers are standard on all the trims except for the base model, which we didn’t drive. Additionally, the Sport trim gives you a stiffer suspension tuning than the Premium or Limited trims, along with the Stablex dampers.

Above from here: Subaru's Impreza still does AWD cheap, but that's not the only reason to love it

There is a thread on the subject here too:

Sport Tuned Suspension?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you do your own mods, this is a good option over the OEM short shifter, if you want both shorter throws and a lower shift knob:

Kartboy Short Shifter and Knob on 2019 Impreza Sport

Keep in mind in those photos I was replacing the OEM short shifter that comes with the Sport. Just changing the OEM knob to the KB made the knob sit lower but also changing the lever moves the fulcrum point so the throws are shorter. The NVH will go up a little though. This can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it I suppose. The OEM lever looks fatter because the top rod sits in the lower half surrounded by rubber to dampen the NVH. When shifting with the KB setup I have more feel but it will also send a little more noise in the cabin. Always a trade off.

If you like to poke around YouTube, check out Mr Subaru's channel, he has a lot of good info around head gaskets and other things.

https://www.youtube.com/@MrSubaru1387
Unfortunately, I am not adept at modding - all modding will have to be done by a mechanic. So, I guess I'm going to have to be content with the OEM short shifter.

· ModFather
1,768 Posts
Well bummer, I get it though not everyone wants or feels they can. I'm not sure where you are but I do a lot of work on other peoples cars just to show them how or for fun to do write ups. I could do if for you. Over the years I've done dozens of KB shifters :) The problem is the dealer won't do pretty much anything you'd need to find a good Subaru shop in your area. There are a number of reputable ones though.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well bummer, I get it though not everyone wants or feels they can. I'm not sure where you are but I do a lot of work on other peoples cars just to show them how or for fun to do write ups. I could do if for you. Over the years I've done dozens of KB shifters :) The problem is the dealer won't do pretty much anything you'd need to find a good Subaru shop in your area. There are a number of reputable ones though.
Thanks for offering to help, I really appreciate it. I found a Perrin shop that is around 40 miles or so from my place. I called and they said that they could install sway bar, suspension components, and short shifter (if necessary). So I guess I'm good to go if I get the base model.

· ModFather
1,768 Posts
If you do go with the sport (which gets my vote, but I am biased) the things you would not have to upgrade will be covered under the warranty so there is that :) Just a thought, some dealers are cool with some mods and others are a PITA when they see something amiss, they will blame it on something that's not really related or say to put it back to stock before they will consider doing the work.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If you do go with the sport (which gets my vote, but I am biased) the things you would not have to upgrade will be covered under the warranty so there is that :) Just a thought, some dealers are cool with some mods and others are a PITA when they see something amiss, they will blame it on something that's not really related or say to put it back to stock before they will consider doing the work.
Agree with your points, and am still weighing the pros and cons of each. Another advantage of the sport is the customizable LCD that provides the option of displaying engine coolant and oil temperature gauges. On the base, we are stuck with the blue/red thermometer icon light. I plan on ordering the vehicle around the end of February, so I still have some time to ponder about it.

· Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Sport
139 Posts
Agree with your points, and am still weighing the pros and cons of each. Another advantage of the sport is the customizable LCD that provides the option of displaying engine coolant and oil temperature gauges. On the base, we are stuck with the blue/red thermometer icon light. I plan on ordering the vehicle around the end of February, so I still have some time to ponder about it.
There is no bad choice here. I see the benefits for both models. I just wonder if the Sport is able to have the same package I have and that's the sunroof with Blind Spot Monitor, Rear cross traffic monitor and Harmon Kardon 8 Speaker system. The Blind Spot Monitor is amazing! I like how the warning light is on the inside of the mirror housing and not that small little light you see on other cars mirror. It's very large and bright and blinks rapidly when you apply the turn signal in the direction of the car that's in your blind spot. The best part is that it's radar and speed based meaning that if it detects a car that's coming in hot it will light up way before it enters your blind spot. I love that since it's giving me a warning way in advance which is a huge deal driving on the highway. It's helped me so many times. I know this will give you peace of mind and give your daughter more awareness. Also the Rear cross traffic monitor works wonder. Example I back out from my friends driveway onto a busy street. The radar will detect any car, bike, and or person that comes in your path. It beeps and flashes as it's warning. Both of those features are life savers and I highly recommend if you get the Sport.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
There is no bad choice here. I see the benefits for both models. I just wonder if the Sport is able to have the same package I have and that's the sunroof with Blind Spot Monitor, Rear cross traffic monitor and Harmon Kardon 8 Speaker system. The Blind Spot Monitor is amazing! I like how the warning light is on the inside of the mirror housing and not that small little light you see on other cars mirror. It's very large and bright and blinks rapidly when you apply the turn signal in the direction of the car that's in your blind spot. The best part is that it's radar and speed based meaning that if it detects a car that's coming in hot it will light up way before it enters your blind spot. I love that since it's giving me a warning way in advance which is a huge deal driving on the highway. It's helped me so many times. I know this will give you peace of mind and give your daughter more awareness. Also the Rear cross traffic monitor works wonder. Example I back out from my friends driveway onto a busy street. The radar will detect any car, bike, and or person that comes in your path. It beeps and flashes as it's warning. Both of those features are life savers and I highly recommend if you get the Sport.
Yes, I agree that there is no bad choice. I appreciate your insight into the available safety features on the vehicle - definitely something to consider when making my decision.

· ModFather
1,768 Posts
There is no bad choice here I highly recommend if you get the Sport.
I agree, no matter which way you go you will have a decent and safe vehicle. However, if you get a manual, which the OP is wanting, most of those things are not available. While I will not argue that BSM etc.are good safety features, I wanted a manual more than those things. I have not had a car with them yet so I can't speak to how they work. I feel that they may just annoy me but I will reserve judgement until I live with them. I thought power windows and locks were a luxury at one time.

· Registered
139 Posts
I agree, no matter which way you go you will have a decent and safe vehicle. However, if you get a manual, which the OP is wanting, most of those things are not available. While I will not argue that BSM etc.are good safety features, I wanted a manual more than those things. I have not had a car with them yet so I can't speak to how they work. I feel that they may just annoy me but I will reserve judgement until I live with them. I thought power windows and locks were a luxury at one time.
I only mentioned those safety features since I have them on my 2017 Sport that is a 5 speed manual.

· Registered
139 Posts
It should be available. I was told by another driver that the package wasn't available for certain model years. I will ask him again what years they were. I just find it odd that the package wouldn't be available. I guess it was Covid that caused that to happen.

· ModFather
1,768 Posts
They weren't offered on my 2019. If you go on the Subaru page today, it says no packages if you select manual when you "build" your own.

on cars 101 for 2019 2019 Impreza Subaru specs, options, prices, dimensions, measurements and more

Sport
new gets Subaru Starlink Safety Plus free for 3 years (was 1 year) and the Security Plus upgrade free for 6 mos (credit card required). Because the Sport includes standard pushbutton start, with the Security Plus you also get Remote Start with climate control on/off via your smart phone (newer android, apple phone).

Gone moonroof, blind spot detection, and Harman Kardon audio is no longer available on the Sport manual transmission (still available on Sport CVT)

· Registered
139 Posts
They weren't offered on my 2019. If you go on the Subaru page today, it says no packages if you select manual when you "build" your own.

on cars 101 for 2019 2019 Impreza Subaru specs, options, prices, dimensions, measurements and more

Sport
new gets Subaru Starlink Safety Plus free for 3 years (was 1 year) and the Security Plus upgrade free for 6 mos (credit card required). Because the Sport includes standard pushbutton start, with the Security Plus you also get Remote Start with climate control on/off via your smart phone (newer android, apple phone).

Gone moonroof, blind spot detection, and Harman Kardon audio is no longer available on the Sport manual transmission (still available on Sport CVT)
That's crazy. Those were features to have. Yeah I did notice that on the Subaru build site. I was wondering why there weren't any packages available. I didn't check the CVT versions since he wasn't in the market for one. Oh well I guess I lucked out.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
My '22 Sport does not have the Blind Spot Monitoring, the Radar Cruise Control, moon roof, nor the lane keep assist, those are reserved for CVT models. Same with remote start, Harmon Kardon speakers, etc...

I believe the first year they dropped it was during the facelift in 2020, same year the Sport Sedan dropped its manual transmission.

Rockford Fosgate Audio is still an option for manual drivers on 2022 Models, but I don't see it on the packages or accessories page when building out either transmission models for 2023.

· ModFather
1,768 Posts
My '22 Sport does not have the Blind Spot Monitoring, the Radar Cruise Control, moon roof, nor the lane keep assist, those are reserved for CVT models. Same with remote start, Harmon Kardon speakers, etc...

I believe the first year they dropped it was during the facelift in 2020, same year the Sport Sedan dropped its manual transmission.

Rockford Fosgate Audio is still an option for manual drivers on 2022 Models, but I don't see it on the packages or accessories page when building out either transmission models for 2023.
They dropped it in 2019 :(

· Registered
139 Posts
I wonder the reasoning behind it. I understand the manual isnt a top seller but that package was a great selling point. I was very fortunate with my purchase. I originally was going for the Sport hatchback 5speed with the Fosgate system, auto dimming rearview mirror, auto dimming side view mirrors with approach light. The car that was coming in had a issue with the head unit so I had the option of waiting for a new unit and get something else. I said I was no rush. A few days later they called saying they have a Sport with the upgraded package of Moonroof, HK system, BSM, Rear cross traffic monitor that just came in. They offered to sell me that model for the same price we agreed upon for the original setup. I was like sweet I'll take it!!! In the end I got my Sport for $24,500 and out the door with taxes, fees, etc for just under $27,200. Also I had included the 4year and 70k extended warranty and 5year Express package that covers the wheels, tires, key fobs, and paintless dent removal. I couldnt be happier with my Impreza Sport purchase.

· ModFather
1,768 Posts
More often than not it comes down to money, cars tend to get decontented over time. When I bought my Forester XT in 04 with a manual, you could not get leather or a sunroof, in the US, in Canada you could. I really wanted both of those but I was SOL. The reasoning there baffles me.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
Pretty much down to money, more diverse offerings require more different processes for manufacturing. Less options mean less diverse processes and less cost to manufacture. It sucks, but is typical for most companies. Subaru is (was) one of the few that even still offers manual transmissions (at least until this year) on non-performance cars.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts