5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Sport
139 Posts
Yeah it's too bad the new redesigned Impreza isn't going to be available with the manual. It's all cause Subaru wants to have Eye Sight standard on all models and Eye Sight can't be had with a manual. Doesn't make much sense when other car brands like VW offers such safety features on their manual equipped cars. Yet I can see why Subaru is going fully automatic since:
1. Majority of drivers are too lazy to drive a manual.
2. New drivers most likely never seen a manual.
3. New and Old drivers won't bother to learn since they are spoiled by automatics and those flappy paddles.
I can tell you this much that the roads would be much safer with manuals over automatics since with a manual you are actually engaged and actually need to pay attention to what the car is communicating to the driver. It's just too much for some to be bothered with shifting and much rather throw it in drive and forgot about it and focus on other distracting and dangerous things like texting or applying make up. As for the people who drive automatics and actually pay attention too what's going on I applaud you and that includes myself cause one of my last cars was a automatic and my next car will be a automatic since hybrids sadly aren't offered with manuals. Oh well that's the future of the car industry for you.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,768 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson said, we'd all be better drivers if the steering wheel airbag was replaced with a 6" pointy spike :p

Just to get back on topic, odds are getting a manual Impreza and deciding which model will depend a lot on what is available at the time. My dealership found mine in another state. It had the window tinted already and since I didn't ask for it they didn't charge me which was cool since I was going to have it done.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,768 Posts
If you haven't yet you can have them search around, I think a lot of dealers with Imprezas on the lot with a manual will be happy to get rid of them :)

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well, there's a timing reason that I am ordering. I'd like to take delivery of the vehicle around April, but at the same time I'm not sure when Subaru will discontinue manufacturing this model. I'm hoping to get my order in around the beginning of March to increase the chances that I get delivery of my choice of build before Subaru decides to pull the plug on the three-pedal version Impreza. Forever :(

· Registered
139 Posts
I agree with having the dealers search their inventories. I would tell them this is exactly what I want and nothing less. There could be possibly be that exact car that rolled off the line or just landed at a nearby dealer. This was the case for me and I made out very well. This will also save them time of having to build a new one. By working with the dealer the chance of getting a great deal becomes better.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yes, I would have definitely considered doing that if this wasn't the last year that they are making manual Imprezas and if the pandemic had not happened. My purchase timeframe is around April, and that is dangerously close to when Subaru might decide they don't want to make any more Imprezas due to low demand (diverting resources to manufacturing other vehicles due to the chip shortage). Inventory is very scarce in this post-pandemic landscape. My fear is that if I wait till April and Subaru decides to stop making these cars (for whatever reason), I'm out of luck. And that would suck. The only safe bet is to forego the opportunity of getting some kind of discount (which would not be that much to begin with since I've not found a dealer who is willing to go below MSRP) and ordering the exact build that I would like. Hope I am making sense; I really don't want to miss out on the opportunity.

· Registered
139 Posts
Any updates? I myself just brought a brand new 2023 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited. Yeah I know it isn't a Subaru lol. My Impreza Sport is my fun car. The Sonata is going to be grown up leisure car with all the bells and whistles! I was fortunate yet again. They had one on the lot with only 40 miles on it. It wasn't the color I originally wanted but that silver really grew on me. So I decided on the silver which helped me to get a lesser mark up. Yeah I said mark up which seem to be unavoidable in today's crazy market. They initially wanted 5k mark up. I was like no! By taking the one on the lot my mark up was 2700 which is in a win in my book in this market. In the end I didn't have to wait and hope for a car and will be picking up tomorrow.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Congratulations on your new ride! Please post pics.

No progress on the ordering. The Subaru dealer I'm working with advised me that Subaru has temporarily halted orders for the Impreza, but should open up in February. I'll place my order sometime in February. The good news is that there are no markups, and they are selling at MSRP. Thanks for checking in.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
I considered buying a Sonata over the Impreza when I was looking at getting a new car, the only downside for my decision was that the Sonata comes only with an automatic (Traditional Automatic, not a CVT so it would be more engaging to drive than a CVT) and the lack of AWD. Great car otherwise! I also disliked the interior design of the Sonata, but that's subject to opinion.

· Registered
41 Posts
2. New drivers most likely never seen a manual
you my find this funny; I have a 2000 S10 5MT and the first time my GF got into it she looked over at the drivers floorboard and asked why my truck had 4 pedals lol (one for the parking brake). Funny thing is she isn't even a new driver, she's been driving for like 13 years but she's never ridden in a manual car.

· Registered
139 Posts
you my find this funny; I have a 2000 S10 5MT and the first time my GF got into it she looked over at the drivers floorboard and asked why my truck had 4 pedals lol (one for the parking brake). Funny thing is she isn't even a new driver, she's been driving for like 13 years but she's never ridden in a manual car.
My point exactly lol. I am not sure if she was a car person or just a person that drives a car lol. A car person has passion and true knowledge of cars while a person who just drives a car knows barely anything about besides the fact that it takes them places lol. I really believe everyone should have some exposure to the manual set up so they can really appreciate the art of driving. They will also see that it's more than just putting the car in drive and going. It's so sad to see the manual slowly dying off. Soon it will be all automatic and even worst the dreaded CVT will be the only options available. Even worst the EVs are coming out. I honestly don't see them taking over due to the logistics of having to install countless charging stations and supplying the electricity. The craziest part is that they truly believe they saving the Earth. They don't realize that you need fossil fuels to make the electricity. So yeah I could go on and on lol.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I'm with you, @Rowing-without-paddles

My sister used to work for this dude who drives a Tesla. When the Tesla went in for service, his wife was given a Ford Explorer as a loaner. Her response was, "I feel so dirty!" The ignorance and the holier-than-thou nature of some folk never fails to surprise me. Little does she know that the electricity used to power her car possibly comes from burning fossil fuels. Not to mention the environmental hazard that the batteries will create when they have to be disposed. They think they are solving the smog problem and fossil fuel problem (not really), while creating a whole new problem of toxic waste. And there is the issue of whether the electricity grid will even be able to support the demand when everyone gets home from work and plugs in. Maybe they could burn some more fossil fuel to meet that demand. Ugh!

Also, other than straight line acceleration, EVs are so heavy, that they lack the tossable, chuckable character of a lightweight car (e.g., the Miata). These are computers on wheels with electric motors that take the soul out of enjoyable motoring, in my opinion. While I appreciate assist features such as blind spot monitoring, I fear that people might become too reliant on automation, to the extent that they lose their basic safety skills. I have heard of stories of people getting so used to blind spot monitoring that they get into accidents when they fail to check their blind spots while driving a vehicle without such features. It's a double-edged sword, I think. I believe that it is helpful to have these features, but they should not be relied on to the extent that the basic skills are forgotten.

I am doing what I can to preserve the three-pedal setup, including passing down the knowledge to my kid.

· Registered
139 Posts
I considered buying a Sonata over the Impreza when I was looking at getting a new car, the only downside for my decision was that the Sonata comes only with an automatic (Traditional Automatic, not a CVT so it would be more engaging to drive than a CVT) and the lack of AWD. Great car otherwise! I also disliked the interior design of the Sonata, but that's subject to opinion.
Which model year Sonata were you looking at? I am very impressed with the Sonata inside and out. I will take and post pictures later today.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
Which model year Sonata were you looking at? I am very impressed with the Sonata inside and out. I will take and post pictures later today.
At the time, the 21-22 year Sonata, I didn't like the front or the interior on the base mod Sonata, and that was what was in my price point. The SEL and Limited trim Sonatas are really nice, but were too high for me. They're good cars, don't get me wrong, just preferred the Impreza, and the price I got my Impreza for.

· Registered
139 Posts
At the time, the 21-22 year Sonata, I didn't like the front or the interior on the base mod Sonata, and that was what was in my price point. The SEL and Limited trim Sonatas are really nice, but were too high for me. They're good cars, don't get me wrong, just preferred the Impreza, and the price I got my Impreza for.
Yeah the lesser trims can be lacking. I was able to afford the Limited Hybrid trim. I couldn't have done that back when I was looking at my 17 Impreza Sport. I am very happy with my Sport and one of the reasons I bought a second car was to preserve the Sport and not put as many miles on it. I look forward to having both cars for many many years.
Also I just had to get the Sonata now since the redesign should be coming out for the 2024 model year and I didn't really care for that redesign that's been floating online. I couldn't be happier with the overall design of the 2023 model year. Also I get the panoramic roof which is super nice.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts