5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too sure how many people here have kids that are old enough or possibly qualify for this themselves.

I realize due to Covid19 classes may have been delayed but still worth looking into for the future.

There is a fantastic, low cost driving school that is put on by the SCCA that I can't say enough good things about. I had both my kids do this and they loved it. Every time I can, I volunteer to photograph the event for them when it happens locally. It's an all day event. I think it's $95 now and includes lunch.

Info here:

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/events_sponsorships/street_survival.html

School information for students | Tire Rack Street Survival

This is not a racing school but one that teaches practical driving skills. There are a number of butt puckering moments they induce on purpose but in a very safe and controlled manner. They show kids how to properly check oil and tire pressure. There is some classroom time discussing different aspects of driving like breaking etc. They have the kids use their own car so they understand the dynamics of their particular vehicle. Typically there is one instructor assigned to one student for the whole day. There is a wet skid pad and a dry one setup. They do things like detonate an airbag to show how powerful they are. They bring in Semi Trucks and have the kids park their cars around it and then let them sit in the trucks seat to see exactly what the driver can and cannot see. The truck driver discusses what it's like to drive on the highway with other cars and some do's and don't when you are around them. My favorite to watch is the wet skid pad. They have the kids push the car until they ultimately spin out. The worst you can do here is hit a cone. There is a lot of training around breaking and how to use and what to expect with the ABS system.

Here are some of my pics from when my kids took the course.

My son Liam has the Red Forester in these pics

Tire Rack Street Survival - Kansas City BMW SCCA - 9-26-15 / by Pete Romano

My son Pete was driving my then new Blue Legacy 3.6 R in these photos, a number of years later I handed this car down to him:

Tire Rack Street Survival Course in Topeka 2011

Liam's course was in MO and instead of a wet skid pad, they actually had a hydroplane pool which was pretty cool. The course took place at a Police driving training facility. At one point, Liam took out most of those cones on the right :)

Peter on the wet skid pad:

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
2,082 Posts
I kind of did a lot of that stuff with my first time driver son. We did a LOT of snow driving in parking lots, doing donuts and slides etc. before I let him drive in the snow himself.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, I did that too. Getting good seat time in the snow is important! However, I find kids tend to listen better to anyone that isn't their parent 🤔

·
Registered
258 Posts
Back around 1980-81, my father gave up on teaching my sister how to drive after she failed her second road test, so I volunteered. I took here out in my dad's 71 Matador with manual steering to teach her, and the first thing I did to teach her some confidence behind the wheel was time spent in a snowy, vacant parking lot. We practiced skid and recovery, emergency braking, safe cornering, backing, etc. The next day we took my 72 VW with a manual transmission out. By the end of the week, she was ready to take her test, which she aced.

Today, she owns a Mazda 3 sport wagon with a 6-sp manual.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts