5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question is in the second paragraph.
I am getting to realize N/A Impreza has a very different wiring than the one that was made in Japan, and that Subarus that are sold in America are the practical tier as opposed to the luxury tier sold else where. I also am finding out that there is some third party company that makes Subaru accessories for Subaru agencies in other countries. Moreover, each global region gets its own wiring based on which the accessory maker decides its accessory wiring. If your regional Subaru agent did not order accessories from the third party maker, you’ll have hard time installing upgrade suitable to your car’s wiring. You may get away with non-electronic upgrades, but not the ones that have wiring.

This is the HomeLink Rear-Mirror upgrade I got from Subaru of America, however. I made my exploratory EyeSight cover opening (not hard but you need to know how to go about it for cosmetic reasons). Now after opening the EyeSight cover, things were not axiomatic and I did not find any “tucked-away” cable for my HomeLink rear-mirror. So I am posting these pictures to get some insight in case I missed anything. So I’ll make my question simple “is this a different wiring than yours? What cable should I plug the mirror upgrade into? Is it a free wire? Or should I rather disconnect some wire?”

Info for insight: I have a sunroof to which some of the connectors belong, and the stock rear mirror I have is auto dimming, but can’t find its wiring. More importantly, my stock auto dimming mirror is attached to the Auto-High-Beam device in case if that means they share the same cable & connector. Finally, the HomeLink mirror cane with a an adapter cable (couldn’t post its pictures due to the forum’s pictures number limitation).

·
Registered
67 Posts
That adapter wire would go in between the harness for the mirror and the harness from the car. Because the mirror habeas has a female end and the car harness does as well that adapter is needed to connect the two together

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That adapter wire would go in between the harness for the mirror and the harness from the car. Because the mirror habeas has a female end and the car harness does as well that adapter is needed to connect the two together
I have a low wiring knowledge and can’t locate where the old mirror’s wire is. This is why I posted some pictures to get help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you unable to follow it up from the back of the mirror twords the connector under the eye sight?
It’s not that easy; the mirror and the Auto High Beam are one assembly and their wires are combined into one braid, which I could see going into the roof liner but couldn’t track them behind that liner. This is why I posted some pictures.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you have the cover for the homelink down? If so there should be no more than 2-3 inches of headliner and it should come out and continue on the other side.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
287 Posts
I did this same upgrade on a NA impreza. The connector is covered in foam and stickied on.

I recently shot a video showing how to tap into that connnector, and while its not a direct guide it should give some direction on where to find it:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The new mirror should plug right into the harness where your old auto dimming mirror is currently.
What if my car doesn’t have an auto dimming mirror? My car has the old school mirror with the dim lever on it.

I have a 21 base Impreza manual. Not sure if you or anyone else knows the answer to this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What if my car doesn’t have an auto dimming mirror? My car has the old school mirror with the dim lever on it.

I have a 21 base Impreza manual. Not sure if you or anyone else knows the answer to this.
I was under that impression because you said "and the stock rear mirror I have is auto dimming"
You should still have the connector up there with foam wrapped around it just like how it is on the mirror you bought. I had a manual mirror in my sport and mine had the harness behind the eyesight trim just off to the right where all of the wires are for the eyesight, lights and sunroof.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts