5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I've got some questions about getting an Impreza. I've test-driven a couple with CVTs (only ones the dealer had on the lot), though I intend to order one in manual. For reference, I'm coming from a 12th-gen Corolla LE.

- First question, should I actually just get a base model Impreza instead? The convenience/luxury features like heated seats aren't worth the extra four thousand bucks to me, and I can get aftermarket wheels and tires for a lot less. However, I did test drive a sport sedan, and compared to the premium hatchback, it felt like the sport sedan had much firmer suspension and much less power steering assist. This is good because the premium felt like its suspension was way too soft and its steering was way too light. But if the base model feels the same as the sport then I might as well save some money and get some aftermarket summer tires

- I've seen a lot of forum threads about a faulty valve found in manual Imprezas that causes them to drink a quart of oil every thousand miles or so. Has this issue been resolved? The newest threads I can find are from 2018 so I assume it's no longer a concern

- How cooperative is the infotainment system? If I turn off the screen, does it stay off indefinitely or do I have to switch it off every time the car is started? And if does stay off indefinitely, does it actually stay off like it's supposed to? My car is supposed to remember to keep the screen off, but every so often after starting it it will switch it on for no apparent reason

- If I set up Car Play, will there be issues with my phone "forgetting" that my car is a trusted device? I can't tell if this is an Apple problem or a Toyota problem to be honest but I don't really use Car Play because of it

- Do the USB ports in the console allow music to be played off a flash drive? If yes, what file types? I assume MP3 works but what about other common codecs (mainly WAV, FLAC, and M4A)

- What's the low temperature warning system like? With my car, when the exterior temperature drops below 38°F, the car will emit a warning tone at the same volume and pitch as the tone used for e.g. the emergency braking system. It will do this every single time the temperature drops below this threshold, which is something of an adrenaline rush. The "you're about to rear-end somebody at high speed" and "hey there might be black ice, maybe" warnings are identical. What I've read indicates that the Impreza has a flashing light in the instrument cluster but doesn't emit any sound. Is that correct? I can deal with blinkenlights but the noise is honestly almost a dealbreaker if I can't stop it

- What's the break-in procedure with the new engine? The manual says to keep the engine below 4000rpm for the first thousand miles, and Subaru's maintenance schedule doesn't indicate I should perform any oil changes before 6000 miles. That said, is it safe to do an early oil change after the first thousand miles? I don't want to get in a debate about the merits of doing this, but apparently some car manufacturers will include special additives in the initial batch of oil to help with the break-in and removing them early may cause issues. If Subaru is just using regular ol' 0W-20 then I assume it's not a problem and it's my choice to waste twenty bucks and an afternoon

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Welcome. So there's a lot to cover and I'm I'm not going after it all. To start with, I bought a 2017 base instead of sport. I didn't want the brake squeezing torque vectoring thing, active grill shutters, or the car any lower to the he hround. Things the sport has that I did want: larger front rotors (did it), aluminum wheels (did it), short throw shifter (did it, but Kart Boy is better), rear sway bar (still need), stiffer shocks (probably won't get). The base has better options for adding fog lights. Neither had leather seat options. Base doesn't allow seeing individual tire pressures, sport might. Base doesn't have auto-on headlights, not sure about sport. Both need an aftermarket engine tune (or home tune) to get rid of the throttle rev hang when shifting.

I have the updated PCV valve but oil consumption has never been terrible with my car. I see no reason to wait 6000 miles for first oil change. Cars like getting fresh oil.

Get familiar with the every 20,000 mile intake valve cleaner kit. It's for all, not just manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The premium's TPMS reads individual tires so the sport should as well fwiw

Yeah the torque vectoring thing seems silly. I have no interest in it but it's part of the package. I didn't realize it had active grill shutters either which, again, I have no interest in. Doesn't seem like it helps aerodynamics much since the sport gets 1mpg worse fuel economy than the base model lol. Unsure how much a short-throw shifter helps/hurts me since I don't really know how to drive manual. I'm confident I can pick it up quickly, but...

How firm is your base model's steering? That's controlled by a computer which means it's harder to change than suspension (and frankly larger aftermarket wheels should mitigate the need for stiffer springs since there's less tire cushioning bumps).

·
Registered
182 Posts
None of the Imprezas have active grill shutters.

I have the 2019 Sport Hatch CVT. Its suspension does feel firmer than the base model that I also test drove. As a driver, I prefer the firmer suspension. But passengers I have driven around would have preferred a softer suspension.

And yeah Sport has individual tire readings.

You will have to turn off the Infotainment screen every time if you want it to stay off. But if you only want it to stay quiet, you could set the Satellite Radio to channel 0 and it is pure silence.

I only use Wired CarPlay so there is no problem with forgetting connections. You can plug in any iPhone and it CarPlays to the screen, no problem there.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Active grill shutter stuff:

All of the Imprezas benefit from adding a steering lockdown bracket. The steering damper biscuit thing is too soft and can result in a wandering feeling on the highway at higher speeds. With the lockdown added, all is good

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't about the current model year, but the Sport & Limited trims through 2019 are equiped with an active grill shutter. Its operation isn't noticable.

If you care about handling, active torque vectoring is a good thing and it operates seamlessly. From the SOA website "Active Torque Vectoring works in tandem with VDC, applying braking power to the inside front wheel resulting in better handling, sharper turn-in, more neutral steering, and higher cornering limits while turning." It, the bigger brakes and wider tires are why I bought a 5-door Sport. It handles very well.

The Sport isn't lower--all Impreza trims have 5.1 inches of ground clearance.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I stand corrected, same ground clearance for all versions.

Regarding torque vectoring, I didn't want anything that could wear out my brakes faster. Just my preference. I also wish I could permanently disable all the traction control and stability stuff. All the fun killer features.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Active grill shutter stuff:

Wow, I just had a look and you are correct! I had no idea it was there. No mention in the manual.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The infotainment system in my '19 Sport stays off indefinitely. If you just power down the system by pushing the volume/power button before turning off the car it'll come back on. If you hold the volume/power button until the system goes blank - takes a couple seconds - it'll stay off until you turn it on again.

I have a 32gb thumb drive in the USB port - don't know the file type, just copied mp3's off my computer - and it plays fine.

The waring for 'possible icy roads' warning beeps pretty softly when the temps drop - yesterday it came on at 37* - has a larger graphic in the dash for a second or two, and then goes to a small icon. No big deal, not alarming, but it's only relating to the temps not actual precipitation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The infotainment system in my '19 Sport stays off indefinitely. If you just power down the system by pushing the volume/power button before turning off the car it'll come back on. If you hold the volume/power button until the system goes blank - takes a couple seconds - it'll stay off until you turn it on again.
When you say "the inoftainment system stays off," does that mean the whole system including audio, or just the screen?

I'm probably more concerned by this than I should be. The off button for the Corolla's screen is buried two touch menus deep and it's very unresponsive. Meanwhile the Impreza has a physical button to press and the screen is much lower so it's not in my line of sight while driving at night.

The waring for 'possible icy roads' warning beeps pretty softly when the temps drop - yesterday it came on at 37* - has a larger graphic in the dash for a second or two, and then goes to a small icon. No big deal, not alarming, but it's only relating to the temps not actual precipitation.
u g h. Modern traction control has sensors for things like wheel slip but the car has to yell at me when the sun is out and the humidity is zero just because it's cold.

If it's the same beep as the lane departure warning, then that's fine. I set that one off a lot on an empty country road during a test drive. A bit annoying but not jarring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The screen as well as the whole system stay off.

Something odd but not alarming started happening a few weeks back; when the system is off and I want listen to radio, I press 'radio' and the system starts playing from my thumb drive. But I hit 'radio' again and get the intended result.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yesterday I started my car when it was 37 degrees outside. An Icy icon appeared but I didn't hear any warning sound.

The most significant warning sounds I hear from the car are the lane departure warning, and also the imminent front collision warning - when the car in front slams on its brakes and you did not reduce your speed.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
25 Posts
When you say "the inoftainment system stays off," does that mean the whole system including audio, or just the screen?

I'm probably more concerned by this than I should be. The off button for the Corolla's screen is buried two touch menus deep and it's very unresponsive. Meanwhile the Impreza has a physical button to press and the screen is much lower so it's not in my line of sight while driving at night.
Push and hold the volume knob for 5 seconds - the Impreza’s stereo will turn off until you push the knob again. Setting persists between car on/off states, unlike mute.

u g h. Modern traction control has sensors for things like wheel slip but the car has to yell at me when the sun is out and the humidity is zero just because it's cold.

If it's the same beep as the lane departure warning, then that's fine. I set that one off a lot on an empty country road during a test drive. A bit annoying but not jarring.
Manual transmission variants do not have the eyesight assistance features, so no lane keep/auto brake to annoy you. Part of my reason for my trim selection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts