5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m new to this form.. but I recently bought my new to me, 2018 Impreza Hatch, Convenience. This is my first Subaru, so I’m still learning.. :)

I have purchased a new cat back for her aswell as a cold air intake. I am curious if my stock ecu will be able to adjust its self to the new amount of air flow or would she need a tune?

Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys, I’m new to this form.. but I recently bought my new to me, 2018 Impreza Hatch, Convenience. This is my first Subaru, so I’m still learning.. :)

I have purchased a new cat back for her aswell as a cold air intake. I am curious if my stock ecu will be able to adjust its self to the new amount of air flow or would she need a tune?

Thank you!! :)
Hi welcome to the forum! With your new upcoming mods feel free to post sound clips and pictures for both! Otherwise in regards to installing a CAI, there has been plenty of people here who are driving around with no tune and no issues. However, with installing one there is always a risk that it'll harm the engine. IMO for the long run it might affect the car's longevity, but if you're keeping the car forever I'd believe a tune will be necessary. It depends on your purpose with the car, because there are the nice sounds and small power difference--the ecu will eventually need a flash for preventative measures. At the same time, I have also never read anyone with the impreza gett one done too...

·
Registered
2017 Toyota 86, 2020 Impreza
71 Posts
Little to be gained from either. Exhaust is a sound mod more than anything. You'll be fine.

In some cases a CAI can throw off the MAF scaling due to a reposition of the sensor and seeing more air than it normally does.

I haven't seen much info on FB20 tuning so there isn't much data to fall back to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This fb20 engine is really not made for performance and the only way to make it fast would be to turbo it or swap a 2.5 (or anything else for that matter). We own a granny car that can sound awesome with an exhaust and cai, but will still be a slow granny car at the end of the day

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum! With your new upcoming mods feel free to post sound clips and pictures for both! Otherwise in regards to installing a CAI, there has been plenty of people here who are driving around with no tune and no issues. However, with installing one there is always a risk that it'll harm the engine. IMO for the long run it might affect the car's longevity, but if you're keeping the car forever I'd believe a tune will be necessary. It depends on your purpose with the car, because there are the nice sounds and small power difference--the ecu will eventually need a flash for preventative measures. At the same time, I have also never read anyone with the impreza gett one done too...
Not much you can really tune on a NA boxer, I have had my K&N cold air intake alongside a nameless performance axle back for about 6 months without a tune and it runs perfectly. I actually called the closest tuning/performance shop that specializes in Subaru and they said there isn't anything for them to tune regardless. To get a tune, a stand alone ecu is required, thus making it not worth it as a stand alone is going to be at least a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not much you can really tune on a NA boxer, I have had my K&N cold air intake alongside a nameless performance axle back for about 6 months without a tune and it runs perfectly. I actually called the closest tuning/performance shop that specializes in Subaru and they said there isn't anything for them to tune regardless. To get a tune, a stand alone ecu is required, thus making it not worth it as a stand alone is going to be at least a few hundred dollars.
Yes possibly, however CA tuners have proven tuning capabilities. Although there is not much to tune by comparison to WRX tuning style's, there is still some sort tuning our engines can have such as rev-hang delete and custom tunes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much, this is great help!! Awesome information! Will definitely be posting sound clips!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Little to be gained from either. Exhaust is a sound mod more than anything. You'll be fine.

In some cases a CAI can throw off the MAF scaling due to a reposition of the sensor and seeing more air than it normally does.

I haven't seen much info on FB20 tuning so there isn't much data to fall back to.
This fb20 engine is really not made for performance and the only way to make it fast would be to turbo it or swap a 2.5 (or anything else for that matter). We own a granny car that can sound awesome with an exhaust and cai, but will still be a slow granny car at the end of the day
I will eventually be either turboing the fb20 engine and or doing a swap. Would love to see the little guy pushin some crazy go😂
Which ever would be cheaper at the time. But yes over all it is a granny car we all drive, lovely little granny car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! This is very helpful!! I’ve picked up an AEM cold air intake, and a Invidia Catback. Hopefully all will be well! Also depending on your plan with it, a stand-alone might be handy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I’m hoping my CAI doesn’t throw the MAF scaling off, but I guess we will see😂 I’ll post more about it later today. I will be installing my CAI, just waiting for an attachment for the Catback

1 - 10 of 10 Posts