5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I read this article just before purchasing the car. First they are comparing a Sport Sedan and a Limited Hatch. It's not even the same style in comparison! I couldn't take this article serious because it wasn't a true side by side comparison. Maybe if they compared a limited hatch vs sport hatch it would have made a lot more sense.

I opted for the sport because of the look and cloth seats (not a fan of leather). That's it. If the sport wasn't in the line up then I would have settled for the limited.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I opted for the sport because of the look and cloth seats (not a fan of leather). That's it. If the sport wasn't in the line up then I would have settled for the limited.
I originally was gonna go with the Limited, but the Sport was more eye catching for me. I hate leather too. Nothing worse in summer than your butt sticking to the hot leather :eek: :smile2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I originally was gonna go with the Limited, but the Sport was more eye catching for me. I hate leather too. Nothing worse in summer than your butt sticking to the hot leather :eek: :smile2:
last 2 cars had leather , and even in the hot SoCal summer, they feel a lot nicer then the "sport plush" or whatever they call it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wonder how long they actually tested each trim for to get these findings :rolleyes:
"Sadly, the 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport doesn’t handle any better than the non-Sport variants. Despite having active torque vectoring and a sport-tuned suspension, the Impreza Sport doesn’t separate itself from the rest of the lineup.

Sadly it is true - the whole "Sport" package is purely cosmetic with nothing (even the active torque vectoring and a sport-tuned suspension) that actually give it a "Sporty" feel.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Did anyone test drive all the different models in either a sedan or hatch and notice a difference in the suspension? I had a Premium as a rental for a day so I can't offer a true opinion. I will say I like the suspension on the Sport.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Did anyone test drive all the different models in either a sedan or hatch and notice a difference in the suspension? I had a Premium as a rental for a day so I can't offer a true opinion. I will say I like the suspension on the Sport.
I didn't want to test drive the other models, I knew I wanted the Sport from the first time I seen & read about the features it has. Since it has the ATV, sport tuned suspension, etc, etc, it's going to handle better than the trims without these features, I don't care what anyone says. I love the suspension & the ATV. The best place to test these features is on an off ramp that's posted speed limit is 30 MPH, but I'm doing 60 MPH & top that off with the AWD, which works wonders in these situations for extra traction. Obviously anyone who says "where's the beef" or " the whole "Sport" package is purely cosmetic with nothing" hasn't actually driven the car to take advantage of these awesome features. I guess I'm a single guy with no kids (thank goodness on both :wink2:) so I can drive this Impreza almost like the legend Colin McRae (R.I.P.) did in the WRX :smile2:

·
Registered
778 Posts
we drove a base with CVT, Premium with CVT and our Sport with the CVT, all hatchbacks. I don't give a rat's you know what, what some magazine journalist sits at his desk and types on his lil computer, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE in the handling of these cars. we drove each of these cars for at least 45 mins thru side roads, highways and on/off ramps and downtown streets. the Sport is stiffer and more "sporty" handling than the other 2. not saying the other ones handle badly, because they don't. but they don't handle near as well as the Sport. I would say for the average person, any of the trim levels of this car will suffice. if you like to zip thru curves without tapping brakes and take ramps with any speed, the Sport model is definitely the way to go. if people think the Sport model doesn't handle well, they should drive a new Civic hatch and see for themselves just how good our lil "underpowered" cars handle...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of us are getting too excited over a automotive article and a compact car with barely adequate 152 hp. It's not the world's greatest car. Let us be happy with whatever trim we have. There will always be a newer car around the corner that's better.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If I were in your situation, I'd drive an STI:wink2: , not this grocery mover, with or without the Sport tuned suspension...
It's only a "grocery mover" if you allow it to be. The STI is pricey, but if there's a sugar momma that would like to buy me an STI, I won't decline :wink2: Just kidding. In all seriousness though, the Impreza fits my lifestyle perfectly for now. As long as it can get me from A to B in the middle of a Nor'easter snow/rain storm, I'm :cool: with that :smile2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's only a "grocery mover" if you allow it to be. The STI is pricey, but if there's a sugar momma that would like to buy me an STI, I won't decline :wink2: Just kidding. In all seriousness though, the Impreza fits my lifestyle perfectly for now. As long as it can get me from A to B in the middle of a Nor'easter snow/rain storm, I'm :cool: with that :smile2:
I let it be whatever it wants. Heck ! if it wants to be a Supercharged Orca with a CVT Blowhole, who am I to stop it ? as long as it drives! But it feels more like is a Humpback whale heading to the shore to get stranded (notice what I did her ? the Shore - because I live in L.A). >:)

I'm entering the age group where I can be a Sugar Daddy :laugh: (although I lack the funds).

·
Registered
730 Posts
I let it be whatever it wants. Heck ! if it wants to be a Supercharged Orca with a CVT Blowhole, who am I to stop it ? as long as it drives! But it feels more like is a Humpback whale heading to the shore to get stranded (notice what I did her ? the Shore - because I live in L.A). >:)

I'm entering the age group where I can be a Sugar Daddy :laugh: (although I lack the funds).
We have Humpbacks in MA too :smile2: In all seriousness though, I would love an STI, but my insurance company would literally bend me over a barrel with my two speeding violations already :frown2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
With the new Impreza out for a while now, is there an actual road test comparison between it and the other cars in it's group ? printed or online doesn't matter (as long as it is in English). really curious to see how it stands compared to the others.

·
Registered
730 Posts
With the new Impreza out for a while now, is there an actual road test comparison between it and the other cars in it's group ? printed or online doesn't matter (as long as it is in English). really curious to see how it stands compared to the others.
Found these on YouTube. Second one is Australian, but a good review.

·
Registered
149 Posts
thanks ! i quickly found myself watching the reviews of the car in the snow (which is something I never did - drive in the snow) and the crash tests. Kudos for Subaru ! 5 start ratings on all sides. impressive!

·
Registered
730 Posts
thanks ! i quickly found myself watching the reviews of the car in the snow (which is something I never did - drive in the snow) and the crash tests. Kudos for Subaru ! 5 start ratings on all sides. impressive!
The Impreza review in the snow is my favorite. Just shows how much traction the AWD has. Maybe you should come to the Northeast this winter so you can drive in the snow :smile2: It can be quite fun & challenging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A big reason I bought the Limited was for the leather/vinyl seats because they're easy to clean. I have a terrier that gets carsick sometimes as well as for normal spills. Newer "leather" seats aren't hot and cold like the old ones used to be. I had those once and sat on fur in the winter and beads in the summer.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Well, lets not forget that the article was written by one person and that was the opinion of that person. Certain things are of course fact for instance space, mpg etc.

One of the big reasons I bought the sport is aesthetics, I like a car that looks good inside and out. The Sport looks better inside and out and that is my opinion.

I really don't care about any of the other points. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts