5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone notice the car make a static noise when you first put car in gear, mine does and it does it when I get a text message and my phone connected to the USB

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did notice that when listening to the radio (AM/FM), when I shift into reverse and the backing camera comes on, I get 1-2 seconds of static.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Has anyone taken their Impreza to the dealership to have that checked out? Not sure if it's a hardware problem of the system needs an update.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep. Have had this issue since day one. When radio is on and you shift into reverse or basically anytime the backup camera is initiated and then un-initiated (put back into park or drive) I get a quick buzz sound.

Brought it in about a week after owning to see if they were aware of anything and obviously they said they werent. Gave me a 'it's a solenoid issue and normal'. I'm sure if more people complain about it, they'll acknowledge it. Small annoyance but it is what it is.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I've noticed recently I get a very brief static noise when I power the car off. No issues with reverse though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had the static noise when I put the car in reverse starting a few weeks after taking delivery in February. Had it to the dealer and they could not find the source of the problem, although they did spend a considerable amount of time trying. Checked with Subaru tech support as well, no answer either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't spent enough time in the car to notice static on the radio but I did notice that there are random, brief skips when using my USB connected iPhone and Carplay.

I'll be jamming to something and the music will drop out for a split second then pick up as if nothing happened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have this problem among many others, my radio has been replaced along with my amp, antenna and usb ports. As of this morning they are getting a tech from Subaru to come look at the car.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I have been reading about problems with the infotainment unit (or what ever you want to call it) now for quite a while and it seems to me that most people are having problems when they connect a phone via wire to the car.

I have only connected my phone to the car via bluetooth and have had no real problems with the electronics (I did have a problem with the Sirius forgetting all of my pre-set stations).

Theory; maybe the problem is with some people's phones?

·
Registered
11 Posts
ObewanKenobi,

They have replaced my USB ports for this reason and it still happens. Doesn't matter what kind of phone according to the service center my car is currently at. They have tried multiple.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
ObewanKenobi,

They have replaced my USB ports for this reason and it still happens. Doesn't matter what kind of phone according to the service center my car is currently at. They have tried multiple.
As I said it was a theory.

I think since we are on the "front line" and are the first owners of this platform we need to figure out or try and help SOA figure out what is going on. If we can pinpoint what is happening and when and report it to SOA maybe they can get this garbage figured out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did notice that when listening to the radio (AM/FM), when I shift into reverse and the backing camera comes on, I get 1-2 seconds of static.

Mine does the same when I shift it into reverse, and at times while connected through USB the connection drops and I have to wait 15-20 minutes before it will reconnect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got off the phone with corporate, supposedly all manual transmission cars are having this problem. I will update you all when I get my car in about an hour.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Just crazy when you think about it, why would putting your car in reverse have any affect on the radio?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The latest software update for my 2017 Sport seemed to have fixed the static problem, but I will continue to monitor.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just crazy when you think about it, why would putting your car in reverse have any affect on the radio?
Because it integrates with the backup camera system in all of todays cars and there was a previous issue with the backup camera system that an update did resolve. Strange...but makes total sense.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the CVT and when I put it in reverse I breifly get static. Being and engineer that performs EMC testing (Electro Magnetic Compatibility) testing on products I and others design I’m guessing when the back up camera comes on the frequency spectrum the camera is using is being pick up by the audio circuitry. Probably inherent to the design and no amount of swapping head units or parts will cure it. It would take additional testing and design changes to better isolate the camera and audio circuitry. There are possible software fixes such as muting the audio when switching modes .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Static !=! backup camera

If anyone is still looking into this, after at least 3 months and a vast amount of my life, having replaced my head unit, amplifier, disconnecting the rear camera, swapping out the speakers (I got the upgraded RFs), checking all the wiring, and disassembling my brand new vehicle over and over and damaging panels, a vent, weatherstripping... there is more, but only pieces run through my nightmare at a time.

Anyway, venting aside, after the field service engineer from subaruOA came out the second time, they realized the head unit was reverting software when they updated it- so they did some hocus pocus I was not privy to, hard dumped in a software update, and bam, fixed. It now lists REL2.17.22.20.

Consider this my entry into the worst car ever thread... I'll never trust the manufacturer again, I think about this horrible adventure all the time, and I tell everyone I can. It keeps me up at night I'm so angry about it.

Hopefully this saves somebody else the trouble, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been reading about problems with the infotainment unit (or what ever you want to call it) now for quite a while and it seems to me that most people are having problems when they connect a phone via wire to the car.

I have only connected my phone to the car via bluetooth and have had no real problems with the electronics (I did have a problem with the Sirius forgetting all of my pre-set stations).

Theory; maybe the problem is with some people's phones?
This usually happens for me solely over Bluetooth. Every first time I go into reverse. I'm still running an old firmware version of the infotainment so that could be why. My phone isn't the best android out too so that's another variable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts