5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that prevailing wisdom is that one should never use cruise control when it is raining. I've read that this is because the cruise control will increase power to wheels when it senses them spin, which is the case in hyrdoplaning and the opposite of what one is supposed to do to correct the situation.

Even with all the new fangled awesomeness of a 2017 Impreza with EyeSight, is it still the case that Adaptive (or regular) cruise control in our Gen 5's should not be used in the rain?

Thanks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
the only way the adaptive cruise affects anything is when it senses something in front of you or you drift out of your lane. i don't use cruise in the rain out of personal preference, not because i feel like it would be unsafe. i actually have the "lane drift" feature turned off on my wife's Impreza but it still picks up whats in front of me. eyesight is a "nice" safety feature but not entirely needed in my opinion. some will argue about that, but i don't have it on my Crosstrek and she does on her Impreza.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You will also find that your EyeSight system may shut off (it tells you on your dash display) if your windshield becomes foggy or the cameras are otherwise unable to map the road and detect obstacles (such as under heavy rain, fog or misting conditions). In that case, the Adaptive Cruise Control cannot function properly and should turn off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
All wet

Does that ancient wisdom account for stability and traction control? It seems like those should handle the hydroplaning/slick conditions properly.
I would tend to agree, absent other data.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Imagine that you had never heard of cruise control. Your first thought would be that it must be dangerous. But, the fact is, very few accidents are caused by cruise control.

What about rain? Has anyone here know about an actual incident where cruise control in the rain caused a real problem? I'm not talking about 'common wisdom', I mean an actual case of cruise control resulting in a dangerous situation in the rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts