5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with - please don't accuse me of trolling. I'm a real owner, and if the forum admins want proof I can send it to them.

So I was really excited about getting the new 2017 Impreza Sport. I read about it before hand, and knew it didn't have a strong engine, but boy I didn't realize how weak it really is. Shows you how a test drive at the dealership don't reveal anything about the car.

I mean - Subaru created a "Sport" model, but everything about it is cosmetic, "Where's the Beef?" You have a 2 litter engine- see what other manufacturers create out of the same engine size. but Subaru went conservative - 150 HP. Sad.

I think the decision to put 7 gears in the CVT gearbox was a big mistake. it is clearly made for fuel consumption (which is not impressive either - 21 mpg), but with an engine so anemic, the CVT gear box kills it even further. No response! passing cars means lower shifting twice just to get any response from the engine. And if you want to go manual, shifting from 1st to 2nd is like shifting from 1st to 5th - the drop in RPM is so big, the car just doesn’t move.
In the first 2 weeks I went to the dealer twice. The first night I got the car, the battery died! Service said it was a loose connector that caused the battery to drain. Second time the audio system blanked. Service claimed it reverted to an older version causing the issue. How ? I didn't connect it to WiFi to update the version.

So much for reliability.

What's the deal with not installing auto-locking doors? Every car has them now. I live in Los Angeles - do you know how many times I had creeps trying to open my car's doors ? I have small kids. I can't afford not having my doors locked ! So at least make the lock button big and easy to access. Instead Subaru made it so small and hide it in the door console.

What's with that Multi-function display at the top of the console ? of about 8 screens you have:

1. info screen on how to change it - Useless
2. weather forecast which doesn't make sense because all you see is the icons (Sun, Moon, Clouds), no temps - not to mention that once my Sat radio subscription expires I’m not going to renew it so the weather info is a bust - Useless
3. Electric components operating status screen : you think I’m going to find out from that screen that one of my break lights is out ? think again! -Useless.
4. Audio Screen - I have an 8" screen for that, so why do I need another one ? - Useless
5. Fuel consumption screen - Don't i have that in the main console ? - Useless
6. Clock screen... Really? another one ?
7. Prevention safety screen - Say shat now ? you want to tell me that knowing what angle the car is or the angle of the steering makes things safer for me ? And what's with those wheels and the green lines around it ? - Useless
8. Favorites screen - coolant temp, oil temp - is that even an option ?

Birthday Reminders ? I think my smartphone can do better - Useless

Did we say "Sport" ? Red plastic stitches and fake carbon trimming ? check and check... (Yes, I saw that at the dealer, no surprises here but still - you could go a little high end here).

36 months lease term - it's going to be long and boring...

·
Registered
730 Posts
To start with - please don't accuse me of trolling. I'm a real owner, and if the forum admins want proof I can send it to them.

So I was really excited about getting the new 2017 Impreza Sport. I read about it before hand, and knew it didn't have a strong engine, but boy I didn't realize how weak it really is. Shows you how a test drive at the dealership don't reveal anything about the car.

I mean - Subaru created a "Sport" model, but everything about it is cosmetic, "Where's the Beef?" You have a 2 litter engine- see what other manufacturers create out of the same engine size. but Subaru went conservative - 150 HP. Sad.

I think the decision to put 7 gears in the CVT gearbox was a big mistake. it is clearly made for fuel consumption (which is not impressive either - 21 mpg), but with an engine so anemic, the CVT gear box kills it even further. No response! passing cars means lower shifting twice just to get any response from the engine. And if you want to go manual, shifting from 1st to 2nd is like shifting from 1st to 5th - the drop in RPM is so big, the car just doesn’t move.
In the first 2 weeks I went to the dealer twice. The first night I got the car, the battery died! Service said it was a loose connector that caused the battery to drain. Second time the audio system blanked. Service claimed it reverted to an older version causing the issue. How ? I didn't connect it to WiFi to update the version.

So much for reliability.

What's the deal with not installing auto-locking doors? Every car has them now. I live in Los Angeles - do you know how many times I had creeps trying to open my car's doors ? I have small kids. I can't afford not having my doors locked ! So at least make the lock button big and easy to access. Instead Subaru made it so small and hide it in the door console.

What's with that Multi-function display at the top of the console ? of about 8 screens you have:

1. info screen on how to change it - Useless
2. weather forecast which doesn't make sense because all you see is the icons (Sun, Moon, Clouds), no temps - not to mention that once my Sat radio subscription expires I’m not going to renew it so the weather info is a bust - Useless
3. Electric components operating status screen : you think I’m going to find out from that screen that one of my break lights is out ? think again! -Useless.
4. Audio Screen - I have an 8" screen for that, so why do I need another one ? - Useless
5. Fuel consumption screen - Don't i have that in the main console ? - Useless
6. Clock screen... Really? another one ?
7. Prevention safety screen - Say shat now ? you want to tell me that knowing what angle the car is or the angle of the steering makes things safer for me ? And what's with those wheels and the green lines around it ? - Useless
8. Favorites screen - coolant temp, oil temp - is that even an option ?

Birthday Reminders ? I think my smartphone can do better - Useless

Did we say "Sport" ? Red plastic stitches and fake carbon trimming ? check and check... (Yes, I saw that at the dealer, no surprises here but still - you could go a little high end here).

36 months lease term - it's going to be long and boring...
Post some pics of your car on here then if your not "trolling" :wink2:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Not trying to be a smart A here but why buy/lease the car if you don't like it? You are blaming Subaru when the fault is actually your own. When we test drove ours we went over EVERYTHING this car could and couldn't do. And I do mean EVERYTHING. We drove this car for about an hour on the highway, side streets, and many starts and stops. I get the engine isn't what a WRX is but if you think the Impreza is lacking you should drive a CrossTrek. Which we also own. My wife's Impreza feels so much faster than my XV and is way more refined. I get it is mostly cosmetic in reference to the "Sport" model, but the suspension and active torque vector steering actually make a huge difference. Drive one of the other models aggressively and you will beg to get back in your Sport. I hate you aren't happy, as a consumer you should be happy with any purchase. I am sure I am not the only one happy with their Impreza Sport, and I am sure you aren't the only one unhappy. But due diligence on a consumer's part makes car buying what it is.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Not trying to be a smart A here but why buy/lease the car if you don't like it? You are blaming Subaru when the fault is actually your own. When we test drove ours we went over EVERYTHING this car could and couldn't do. And I do mean EVERYTHING. We drove this car for about an hour on the highway, side streets, and many starts and stops. I get the engine isn't what a WRX is but if you think the Impreza is lacking you should drive a CrossTrek. Which we also own. My wife's Impreza feels so much faster than my XV and is way more refined. I get it is mostly cosmetic in reference to the "Sport" model, but the suspension and active torque vector steering actually make a huge difference. Drive one of the other models aggressively and you will beg to get back in your Sport. I hate you aren't happy, as a consumer you should be happy with any purchase. I am sure I am not the only one happy with their Impreza Sport, and I am sure you aren't the only one unhappy. But due diligence on a consumer's part makes car buying what it is.
EXACTLY, I totally agree with what 2017SportHatch said :smile2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did you buy the car blindly? No test drive? No noticing of these things per-purchase?

As for "nothing" different with sport, there is much different. Drive a non-sport and you'll see that immediately.

- Different wheels/tires

- Torque vectoring

- Stiffer suspension

- Thicker sway bars

- Larger brakes

Other things different - Exterior bumper cover and grill, seats, dash parts, rear spoiler, roof rack delete, and a few others.

Totally agree it should be offered with 250hp or more, but it is far sportier to drive than the other models. I know, as we spent about 45 minutes with each.

Sounds like you didn't spend enough time with this car before purchasing. The reliability issues are inexcusable and not right. I'd be pissed with those, too, but I am on my second car (arriving June 12) due to a lemon law claim on my first!

Sorry you don't like it. I enjoy mine, and it fits what I expected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
LOVE my '17 Limited with all the bells and whistles! THANKS VW! I knew the engine was weanie, I didn't need more power, I knew going in that this was not WRX territory. Sorry you're not happy, but with all your complaints, you'd probably have a tough time find something you'd be happy with anyway...should have bought a used WRX.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now THIS is what I like about impreza5.com - open discussions without the immature name-calling you see other places! The responses have been very pleasant(even sympathetic) to what could have been pretty nasty. Yes...the OP took a risk posting, but he/she clearly stated in the topic it was a 'rant' and the details were very specific(I doubt it's just someone just trying to stir stuff up). If you have a problem hearing other people's opinions you wouldn't have accidentally stumbled upon it. No thread-jacking here!

My hope is that that the OP stays around and maybe with help from the friendly members here learns more about the car and makes a bad situation a little better!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Now THIS is what I like about impreza5.com - open discussions without the immature name-calling you see other places! The responses have been very pleasant(even sympathetic) to what could have been pretty nasty. Yes...the OP took a risk posting, but he/she clearly stated in the topic it was a 'rant' and the details were very specific(I doubt it's just someone just trying to stir stuff up). If you have a problem hearing other people's opinions you wouldn't have accidentally stumbled upon it. No thread-jacking here!

My hope is that that the OP stays around and maybe with help from the friendly members here learns more about the car and makes a bad situation a little better!
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this owner is uneducated about the Impreza & it's unique features that the other models don't have. We look forward to hearing from the original thread poster so we can educate him or her on the features of the vehicle so they can enjoy their Impreza to the max. Like 2017SportHatch & ImprezaSport21 have pointed out, it has the bigger 18" wheels, Active Torque Vectoring (a feature I love when taking loopy exit ramps, sport tuned suspension, paddle shifters & plus all the interior upgrades. The multi function display is a feature I use all the time especially the screen with the overview of the four wheels with degrees of slope or incline? This car has plenty of "beef". Kinda sucks the cruise control only goes to 90 MPH :wink2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP here. Thanks for the comments. I don't want to start any e-fights, but if you think I'm uneducated about the car's features, then please enlighten me.

I can't argue with the underlying question: "why did you lease it if you don't like it ?" I wish I had the privilege of test driving a car for over an hour, or test each model for 45 minutes. In my area, you're lucky if you get a 2 mile drive around the dealer. And in any case, it won't matter now anyway.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this owner is uneducated about the Impreza & it's unique features that the other models don't have. We look forward to hearing from the original thread poster so we can educate him or her on the features of the vehicle so they can enjoy their Impreza to the max. Like 2017SportHatch & ImprezaSport21 have pointed out, it has the bigger 18" wheels, Active Torque Vectoring (a feature I love when taking loopy exit ramps, sport tuned suspension, paddle shifters & plus all the interior upgrades. The multi function display is a feature I use all the time especially the screen with the overview of the four wheels with degrees of slope or incline? This car has plenty of "beef". Kinda sucks the cruise control only goes to 90 MPH :wink2:
Please enlighten me on what i'm missing (not being sarcastic at all). But I can't agree with you on the multi function screen. I think it's a joke. it's one of those features that look good on paper, but the implementation is crap. nothing about it is useful - especially the overview of the four wheels. If anything it should be in front of you, not to the side, making you take you're eyes off the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OP here. Thanks for the comments. I don't want to start any e-fights, but if you think I'm uneducated about the car's features, then please enlighten me.

I can't argue with the underlying question: "why did you lease it if you don't like it ?" I wish I had the privilege of test driving a car for over an hour, or test each model for 45 minutes. In my area, you're lucky if you get a 2 mile drive around the dealer. And in any case, it won't matter now anyway.
Your personal values and expectations are not aligned with how Subaru designed it. The car isn't perfect, but no car it. It's all about what's important to you. If you're truly that unhappy with the car, get out of your lease and look at other comparable cars. The Honda Civic hatch was on my list when I was researching car. But the exterior design and the 2-wheel drive didn't work for me.

This is my 5th Subaru and it's by far the best platform that that they have engineered. I bought this car to be my daily driver and it does a great job for what it is. I had an 08 STI which I drove for three years and I had a laundry list of things that I didn't like about that car. Although the Impreza has half the HP than my STI, the Impreza is a much more enjoyable experience for me. I'm sure there are many people out there that would that statement is crazy talk, but that's fine. We all have our values, needs and experiences that our cars have to fulfill and the Impreza doesn't check off enough of yours.

Sure, there are features in the Impreza that I don't need or understand, but I don't use those screens and enjoy the car for what it is. =)

·
Registered
778 Posts

I am sorry to say but if you weren't allowed to test drive the car for more than 2 miles, then YOU should have walked away. You could have went to another dealer somewhere "close" to you. I say "close" because I understand that many Subaru dealerships are usually miles apart from each other. When I bought my CrossTrek they let me drive a brand new one off the lot for 3 days before they even wrapped up my deal and got my car dealer traded. Hence the reason we went to the same dealer to get my wife's Impreza.

If you are that unhappy you should try to get out of your lease if any way possible. I have owned cars before that I have hated, and I blamed no one but myself for not doing the "research". That is why when we buy a new car now it takes days, if not weeks to get it all done on our part. And like someone else posted about the new Civic Hatch, we also considered that car but we couldn't get it the way we wanted with the options we wanted. Plus, it is still only FWD. While, FWD is fine for driving in almost all conditions, we prefer AWD.

Reactions: 1stsubie

·
Registered
730 Posts
Please enlighten me on what i'm missing (not being sarcastic at all). But I can't agree with you on the multi function screen. I think it's a joke. it's one of those features that look good on paper, but the implementation is crap. nothing about it is useful - especially the overview of the four wheels. If anything it should be in front of you, not to the side, making you take you're eyes off the road.
If you go back & read the previous posts you will clearly see what you've been missing out on. Perhaps you should have dealt with a different dealership & got a way longer test drive. Did you go to the dealership alone or bring someone with you?
When I went to the dealership to buy my Impreza, I brought my father & brother because I know what dealership sales people are like. We were there for almost four hours between the test drive, negotiating my trade in value & finalizing the deal.
Regarding reliability, this is a brand new generation Impreza. Like someone pointed out to me on here, there's going to be minor issues starting off, but it's going to get better. Subaru has sent some owners a $150 Subaru Certificate for the inconvenience of the recent recall, which to me, is very appreciated. It shows that they care about their customers.
The auto lock feature would be handy, but I can just press a "small" button when I get in the car no big deal.
This forum is great to connect with other owners, but I really wish that someone in CA, that also has a Sport trim, could meet with you & go through the key features of the car in depth, so you can get the most out of the car & not regret your lease. If you have any questions about anything you can always refer them to us & we will answer to the best of our ability :smile2:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Argoson -- Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the car.

About me.. I am in the market to buy a new car, and will shortly buy a Subaru and Impreza would likely be my first Subaru car. I appreciate participants in this forum, and the administrators who allow robust discussions.

It is well understood that Impreza 2017 will come with a few problems. It is built on a new platform and anyone who buys a first year car expects this. These new buyers expect that Subaru will stand by their early buyers and I see no reasons to think that is not happening now. I hope Subaru engineers are watching this forum, and particularly this thread. If they do, then I want to highlight that I am bothered by the "door not shutting unless slammed" issue is of concern to me.
Subaru has stood by it's customers. They have sent some owners a $150 Subaru Certificate for the inconvenience of a recent recall. Every new generation car comes with some issues. It is to be expected. The door issue is very minor & may need some adjustment at the dealership. Some owners have issues that other owners don't. I guess it's "luck of the draw".

·
Registered
730 Posts
From motortrend.com: "The Impreza Sport is more performance-focused, and it gets sport suspension tuning, brake-based active torque vectoring, active grille shutters, 18-inch wheels with 225/40R18 tires, LED daytime running lamps, a larger 8.0-inch touchscreen with color multifunction display above, push-button start, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, red stitching on the dash and other areas, simulated carbon-fiber inserts on the dash and doors, and spoilers on both the sedan and hatchback."

·
Registered
730 Posts
Here is a guide to help understand what Active Torque Vectoring is:
Subaru Drive Performance - Blueprints: Get Active ? Subaru Unleashes Active Torque Vectoring (12.1)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yup, our car didn't any of the issues most have but we did fall under the recalls. So, while I was at the dealership for the Infotainment recall they actually caught the other recall and did them both at the same time. And we still received the $150 Subaru Coupon.

Just for reference, and since some think Subaru doesn't care about customer relations, our last vehicle was a new model year 2015 Nissan Murano that had 4 recalls in under one year and spent its first full month of ownership at the dealer for a sunroof issue. They literally had our car for the first month we owned it. And we didn't get squat from Nissan or the dealership. We did have a loaner car for the month but that wasn't something I would call a perk.

This is our 2nd Subaru we have bought in under a year, and we are hooked for sure. These cars are safe, practical and fun to drive. And we will definitely buy another Subaru when our daughter takes my CrossTrek next year.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts