5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I can't believe I am about to ask this question, but.... I bought a new 2021 Impreza and I park it in the street, in Manhattan. Yesterday I found a rat, dead, on top of the engine. The cursed think was half baked in there. This morning, just out of curiosity, I opened the hood and found, oh boy, 1/2 croissant, other scraps of food, and all kinds of other crap. As we all know, the Imprezas are low to the ground and probably particularly easy to climb aboard. Have any of you had similar problems? Is there a solution you would suggest?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
454 Posts
Being prepared for rat attacks is part and parcel of living in the third most rat infested city in the US.

Wrap your wires in this: Rodent Tape and devise a scheme to attract stray cats to your car's vicinity.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I live in a rural area. Parked in a garage, I sometimes find sunflower seeds on the top of my engine. With winter coming, the heat of our engines is very enticing to the mice and other rodents. While my issues have been minor, I did check around to see what solutions are available. One is an electronic device that uses sultrasonic waves to ... uh ... annoy the rodents enough to stay away from your car. The other, seemingly better respected solution, is to spray water containing oil of peppermint onto surfaces of your engine which are attracting the creatures. I made the decision in the end, not to parktake of either solution. There is lots of internet material on the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being prepared for rat attacks is part and parcel of living in the third most rat infested city in the US.

Wrap your wires in this: Rodent Tape and devise a scheme to attract stray cats to your car's vicinity.
Thanks Byll! Since I posted here, I got somewhat well versed on the issue, haha. My course of action (I can't believe I am even discussing this!!) is to get peppermint spray and spray under the hood thoroughly. Also get the tape you suggested. What is happening in NYC is that with outdoor dining, the rat population has exploded! They are everywhere. I just can't believe the city has not figured out how to handle this. I also learned that new cars (not limited to Subarus) are using soy-based wiring in an effort to be green which I applaud. However, this apparently attracts rats. It makes sense because prior to this car, I had a Honda Civic 2002, and I never saw any sign or rats in my 12 years of owning that car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Byll! Since I posted here, I got somewhat well versed on the issue, haha. My course of action (I can't believe I am even discussing this!!) is to get peppermint spray and spray under the hood thoroughly. Also get the tape you suggested. What is happening in NYC is that with outdoor dining, the rat population has exploded! They are everywhere. I just can't believe the city has not figured out how to handle this. I also learned that new cars (not limited to Subarus) are using soy-based wiring in an effort to be green which I applaud. However, this apparently attracts rats. It makes sense because prior to this car, I had a Honda Civic 2002, and I never saw any sign or rats in my 12 years of owning that car.
Thanks Subarik and Byll!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Subarik and Byll!
Best wishes for success. I have one suggestion. Read internet information carefully about the use of the peppermint solution. Peppermint oil is very condensed, and a little goes a loooooooong way. Ensure that you mix with mucho water... Also be careful what you spray. Try to spray only in areas that are needed. Please don't go in there and inundate the entire engine compartment. Read about the process, first... I was not the one that suggeststed the tape, but it is probably a good idea. Keep in mind, that I did not in the end, use the peppermint solution...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Best wishes for success. I have one suggestion. Read internet information carefully about the use of the peppermint solution. Peppermint oil is very condensed, and a little goes a loooooooong way. Ensure that you mix with mucho water... Also be careful what you spray. Try to spray only in areas that are needed. Please don't go in there and inundate the entire engine compartment. Read about the process, first... I was not the one that suggeststed the tape, but it is probably a good idea. Keep in mind, that I did not in the end, use the peppermint solution...
Hi Byll, thank you! You know, last night I did sort of inundate the engine compartment with peppermint spray, diluted obviously. After I read your posting, I reconsidered my action (done in anger), and went back and sprayed a bunch of water and let the engine run for about 10 min. In a few days I should probably take it for an engine detail (it still needs cleaning with all the droppings, and blood and what not). I did not find online much that said peppermint oil was harmful. Did you find any links? Would you please share that? Also, now that I admitted to doing what I did (sprayed about 3 oz of water with peppermint oil on the engine compartment), is there anything I can do to prevent harm?

Thank you,

Rod

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a friend who is a Subaru mechanic, tell me that the peppermint solution is somewhat effective as rodents seem to abhor the peppermint environment, but he said to only spray it on places where there was food, droppings, etc. His reasoning had nothing to do with true damage to the car, but that the smell carries inside the car, and it generally is not good to spray anything on an engine, without washing it off. The real damage from rodents is usually electrical. I figure if you have used your car after spraying the engine with water, you are probably OK. I have never read anything that said diluted peppermint oil in itself is harmful., when used in moderation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a friend who is a Subaru mechanic, tell me that the peppermint solution is somewhat effective as rodents seem to abhor the peppermint environment, but he said to only spray it on places where there was food, droppings, etc. His reasoning had nothing to do with true damage to the car, but that the smell carries inside the car, and it generally is not good to spray anything on an engine, without washing it off. The real damage from rodents is usually electrical. I figure if you have used your car after spraying the engine with water, you are probably OK. I have never read anything that said diluted peppermint oil in itself is harmful., when used in moderation.
Thank you! Let's see what happens next. Thanks to outdoor dining, we are infested. Check out this NY Times article, N.Y.C. Rats: They’re in the Park, on Your Block and Even at Your Table

·
Registered
454 Posts
As with most "New York City problems", the easiest and best answer usually is this: Move.
That's a great way to make new york city problems your problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone! I can't believe I am about to ask this question, but.... I bought a new 2021 Impreza and I park it in the street, in Manhattan. Yesterday I found a rat, dead, on top of the engine. The cursed think was half baked in there. This morning, just out of curiosity, I opened the hood and found, oh boy, 1/2 croissant, other scraps of food, and all kinds of other crap. As we all know, the Imprezas are low to the ground and probably particularly easy to climb aboard. Have any of you had similar problems? Is there a solution you would suggest?

Thank you!
I currently have this problem. They got to the DRLs (one side) and I've yet to find where exactly the break is. The second problem popped up when I noticed the windshield washer fluid wasn't spraying. It turns out they ate through the front hoses in the left fender. After fixing it, I also realized they ate through the windshield washer low level sensor (still yet to fix). Not long after, they ate through the fixed washer hoses again (front and back this time - somewhere in the left fender again). They seem to like going into the front left fender. So far, no solutions have worked other than traps underneath the car, which probably isn't too practical for you. Peppermint, dryer sheets, etc. have not worked.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I currently have this problem. They got to the DRLs (one side) and I've yet to find where exactly the break is. The second problem popped up when I noticed the windshield washer fluid wasn't spraying. It turns out they ate through the front hoses in the left fender. After fixing it, I also realized they ate through the windshield washer low level sensor (still yet to fix). Not long after, they ate through the fixed washer hoses again (front and back this time - somewhere in the left fender again). They seem to like going into the front left fender. So far, no solutions have worked other than traps underneath the car, which probably isn't too practical for you. Peppermint, dryer sheets, etc. have not worked.
Do your highbeams work? If so, let me know what the hell they chewed through so I can do the rat drl delete.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts