5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has heard of any rattling sounds underneath when driving?

I hear a sound explicitly when driving 30-40mph over expansion joints on a cement road with the windows down next to a sea wall or other stone retaining wall (highway divider). The sound is only heard when it is reflected back at me. This is driving straight and not turning.
It is metallic, and originating from under the car. I can only relate the sound to what it would sound like if you had loose brake pads in a caliper or a loose catalytic converter heat shield. (It has a certain metallic ting to it.) It only happens with specific type of bumps mostly wide 1" or greater expansion joints that both front tires hit at the same time, I have found.

It's coming down to finding TSB's that are worth fixing before I buy the car at the end of my lease. (Best to get these things fixed under warranty right?)

The only condition that I can chalk this up to be, is the Rattle Sound from Steering Rack on Rough Roads.
Searching through the TSB's for the 2017 Impreza
and finding the Steering Rack rattle: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10146479-9999.pdf

Do I complain about this? Or shut my windows and turn up the radio.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would especially if your buying the car. Make them fix everything you can find that is legitimate from fit and finish to your rattle issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts