5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 Impreza and recently took it for a state inspection and was made aware that the rear brakes needed replacement for the 3rd time. For a little background the first time the brakes were done it was only the rears and it was at 41K miles at the same time the stealership did the brake line recall. 7K miles later at the oil change they told me I needed brakes all around. ODD! Anyway Subaru paid for that as I was pretty upset about being sold a set of 7,000 mile brakes and the service manager claimed it was caused by dust and grit between the pads and rotors. Now 25K miles later I need rears again. Is it odd to have to do rears more often than fronts? Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza cvt base sedan w//ES
177 Posts
Have you taken it anywhere else to get an opinion?

If you can take the wheel off, try and measure each pad thickness. They shouldn't need replacing if above 4mm.
It's almost time to change my daughter's Impreza oil again at 24k, I will rotate the tires and check the pad thickness on her car and see where she's at. She complains about the squeaking but they look fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I feel that a dealership is only a 'stealership' if it is truly dishonest. Some are. Plenty are not. Our daughter needed rear brake pads on her gen 4 Imp, recently. We were warned through our dealership's hundred point walk-around, that the front pads should be replaced, plus the rotors turned, at her next oil change. At that change, we were told we needed the front work done - and new pads in the back. These had supposedly been changed, a few months before.

I went to the service manager. He did his magic. Seems that the service order for the rear pads was in evidence from the previous visit. However, the service had not been completed, as evidenced by the pad thickness. There was an abject apology, both for our inconvenience, and for their carelessness. We received the new rear pads - which we had already paid for, plus new front pads and new front rotors, at no charge.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have a 17 Impreza and recently took it for a state inspection and was made aware that the rear brakes needed replacement for the 3rd time. For a little background the first time the brakes were done it was only the rears and it was at 41K miles at the same time the stealership did the brake line recall. 7K miles later at the oil change they told me I needed brakes all around. ODD! Anyway Subaru paid for that as I was pretty upset about being sold a set of 7,000 mile brakes and the service manager claimed it was caused by dust and grit between the pads and rotors. Now 25K miles later I need rears again. Is it odd to have to do rears more often than fronts? Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks.
Sounds kinda normal to me. My 2017 has about 30K miles and rears have already needed replacement.

TECHNICAL DETAILS:
When you hit the brakes, the vehicle lunges forward and front wheels get more weight on them ... hence, they have more traction. The front brakes are significantly larger than the rears because of this. (rotor size and pad size)

The brakes (front -vs- rear) used to be proportioned using fixed hydraulic pressure relief valve. The front brakes would ALWAYS do more work and the rears would do less of the work. The front pads would wear faster.

The brake-proportioning is now done electronically using the wheelspeed sensors. ALL of the wheels can do more of the work to stop the wheels from spinning. If wheelspeed sensor detects any of the wheels loosing traction, the hydraulic pressure to that wheel is reduced.

Electronic Brake Proportioning (EBP) makes modern cars stop MUCH better than before becasue there is no 'set' pressure in the braking system to proportion the front/rear ratio.

One drawback is that the rear brakes now do more work than before. Since the rear brakepads are smaller than the fronts, they wear faster.

NOTE: I always ask for them to install SEMI-METALLIC pads becasue they last longer and have more braking power than 'ceramic' or 'organic' pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts