5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone purchased a bumper cover besides the OEM clear plastic sold under the Subaru accessories?
I want to install a more substantial rubber type piece.
I asked the dealer awhile back about this and they said the 2018 Crosstrek will have a thicker cover option that will fit the Impreza.
I just found this item on eBay that looks interesting. See link and attachments.
$50 and it fits the hatchback and sedan models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292152704817

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Has anyone purchased a bumper cover besides the OEM clear plastic sold under the Subaru accessories?
I want to install a more substantial rubber type piece.
I asked the dealer awhile back about this and they said the 2018 Crosstrek will have a thicker cover option that will fit the Impreza.
I just found this item on eBay that looks interesting. See link and attachments.
$50 and it fits the hatchback and sedan models.

C&C CarWorx Rear Bumper Cover for 2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan I-17-BC-4 | eBay

Thoughts?
The Impreza definitely needs a stronger step pad. The clear protection film is pretty useless. Looking at the image from the link you posted, what's catching my eye is the very little clearance between the step pad & the lift gate. You definitely don't want the step pad scraping the edge of your lift gate. The Crosstrek should be available now or soon, if you can wait until the accessories are available, instead of buying this A/M piece that may damage your lift gate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice.

I think that I'd be concerned about how well it adheres to the rear bumper. From the photos, it looks like you might be able to work a finger under those corners and my worry would be how well it sticks over time. But it could be a trick of the lighting or camera angle.

That being said, it's something that I'd be interested in, too. We optioned the rear applique. I hope that you're right in that the Crosstrek version will fit the Impreza.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I would wait and if the '18 Crosstrek does fit I'm getting one as well. My last car had a bumper cover and it made a huge difference with lugging bags in and out of the trunk without scratching anything.

What exactly does the rear bumper applique even do? It was an installed option on my car, but I don't see how it protects anything.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What exactly does the rear bumper applique even do? It was an installed option on my car, but I don't see how it protects anything.
I think it primarily serves to provide owners some peace of mind while lining the dealership's pocket with an easy upsell.

Our Impreza should be arriving within the week. We ordered our car with it because it was the only option for protecting the rear bumper. But, after researching, we could have gotten a similar strip of 3m film for much less and applied it ourselves. Or....had we known, could have waited on a proper protector.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the rear bumper sticker thing that came with the car.

But what I do is I have a decent/semi-heavy moving blanking that
I bought just for the car. I keep in the trunk area and when I put
my bike in there, I fold it out over the bumper while I load anything
heavy like my bike.

Covers the bumper and protects the whole back area of car with
the seats down. Fold it back in when done and it stays there for
whatever I have. Cheap, clean and practical solution.

I also have a rubber custom mat cargo protector I bought from
AutoAnything. The Subaru one I got cracked before I got it
to the car, so I knew that wasn't going to work for me.

Lloyd Mats Northridge Cargo Liners - FREE SHIPPING

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would wait and if the '18 Crosstrek does fit I'm getting one as well. My last car had a bumper cover and it made a huge difference with lugging bags in and out of the trunk without scratching anything.

I think it's to basically protect the top of the bumper so the actual bumper doesn't get scratched or marked when loading or unloading items. For instance, you sometimes see this type of film on the lower "dog leg" of a quarter panel to protect from chips or an owner can choose to protect the front nose of the car for chips/bug protection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
C&C CarWorx Cover

I just received the C&C CarWorx rear bumper cover for the 2017 hatchback and it looks very solid. Looks like there is about 1/4 inch gap between the cover and bottom lip of hatch door, even with 2 layers of plastic cover and the adhesive tape still on. I'm planning on installing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just received the C&C CarWorx rear bumper cover for the 2017 hatchback and it looks very solid. Looks like there is about 1/4 inch gap between the cover and bottom lip of hatch door, even with 2 layers of plastic cover and the adhesive tape still on. I'm planning on installing it tomorrow.
Excellent, please post pics of the install.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
CarWorx Cover Installed

Just installed the CarWorks bumper cover. This is very sturdy. Plenty of clearance between hte bumper and hatch door with cover installed. The tape is very tacky, be careful installing, I accidently touch the bumper in the middle and had a real hard time pulling up the cover. This tape holds really well, this isn't coming off anytime in the near future. Took some pics of installed cover, hope they attach.

Attachments

·
Administrator
785 Posts
That looks pretty good. Definitely what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just installed the CarWorks bumper cover. This is very sturdy. Plenty of clearance between hte bumper and hatch door with cover installed. The tape is very tacky, be careful installing, I accidently touch the bumper in the middle and had a real hard time pulling up the cover. This tape holds really well, this isn't coming off anytime in the near future. Took some pics of installed cover, hope they attach.
That actually looks pretty decent :smile2:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Looks like the 2018 Crosstrek's backside is very similar to our '17 Imprezas, except for the lower portion and all the extra plastic molding. The bumper surface area appears to match, so I'm hopeful it is going to fit.

I just ordered the part from my local dealer who has it for $62 plus tax.

It retails for $79.99. A bit pricey, but expected for an OEM retail part.

I have to admit, I like the raised height on the Crosstrek. I cringe every time my Impreza bottoms out on a ramp or parking lot spacer.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey JoJo613... I asked this question in another thread and Drewskie916 was going to find out. Thanks for the info and let us know if it fits. I saw it online for around 59.95 so $62 at your dealer is a good price. My Dealer sells their accessories for over list price.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey JoJo613... I asked this question in another thread and Drewskie916 was going to find out. Thanks for the info and let us know if it fits. I saw it online for around 59.95 so $62 at your dealer is a good price. My Dealer sells their accessories for over list price.
Yeah, only one local dealer (luckily the one closest to me) has it on sale for under the retail price. And they let you choose to pick it up to avoid shipping costs.

The parts guy confirmed that they are in stock at their warehouse in NJ, so I should be receiving it in the next few days.

Interestingly, the rear bumper cover must be an option as it's showing up on the general 2018 Crosstrek exterior parts webpage:
http://parts.subaru.com/accessories/Subaru_2018_Crosstrek.html#Exterior

There's some other parts that look interesting that I don't recall seeing for the 2017 Impreza, like the LED interior dome light upgrade:
http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...-Map-and-Dome-Lights/70041720/H461SFL100.html

Or these fresh wheels! I wonder if these would fit the Impreza, they come in 17 and 18 inches:
http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2018_Crosstrek/STI-17-Inch-Alloy-Wheel/70041717/B3110FL250.html

I'll post an update with pics soon!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts