5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a firm believer in using rear fog lamps (as are required on all new cars in Europe), and was wondering if anybody knows if they are mounted on the tail lamp assembly on European models, or in the location where American versions have the lower reflectors? Or, maybe on that little cutout cover in the center at the bottom? I'd love to have a built-in rear fog lamp, but I'm not sure if it would be a simple 'plug-and-go' job, or would it require extra wiring to install? And, does anybody have any sourcing for such parts from domestic or overseas locations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I too was considering adding rear fog light for safety during canadian snow storm. My thought was use either a red led light bulb on the driver side reverse light with some wiring, or the lighted bumper reflector with some wiring...Here is what I found for such project Screenshot_20190522-073903_1558525419993.png

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can these be wired to the factory fog light circuit? Does anyone have some installed, or seen the installation instructions?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can these be wired to the factory fog light circuit? Does anyone have some installed, or seen the installation instructions?
If they are anything like the ones I installed on my Scion, they are a dual-circuit light. I have them wired so that both circuits come on when a switch on my center console is turned on, and I have them jumped from the running light circuit. You could also wire them up so that 1 circuit is wired from the running light circuit, and the other through a switch, or to the brake light circuit, or whatever.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was thinking the same, great addition to the rear. Especially bc not all of the rear tail lights up on our cars, vs what I first thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reviving and old post, but I think is still relevant. The original foglight in the European model is located on the same spot as the reverse light on the driver side

(from This video )

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jdm tails have the fog and are easily sourced on ebay. Also chargespeed makes brake lights that go in the lower reflectors.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are neat if used as intended. Nothing worse than being stuck behind some one on a two lane road with their “euro” fog light on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My old rally car not only had a Hella rear fog lamp, but I also had an old fog light with a 100W halogen bulb, wired up to a 2 position switch; it could go on when reversing, or I could throw it on when some dipwad behind me had his high-beams on...

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is my idea of adding rear fog, used this concept in my vw Passat before. Anyone know which plug and wire on kick panel plug control the driver side back up light?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
460 Posts
This is my idea of adding rear fog, used this concept in my vw Passat before. Anyone know which plug and wire on kick panel plug control the driver side back up light?
I did this with my 99RS, sacrificed a back up light for a rear fog light. I was able to source the OEM fog light switch too. For our cars now though I think you'd be able to replace one of the lower reflectors and wire that up to be a rear fog light. I know there are EU regulations that state the rear fog light needs to be X mm away from the brake light so it's not confused with a brake light. Usually the light is on the same side as the driver.

I considered doing that when I replaced my lower reflectors but TBH, I only needed to use my rear fog light here in KS a handful of times. I though the effort was not worth it. Having extra marker and brake lights seemed more useful

Have a look a this link to see my install for the lower reflector replacement, might give you ideas >>Click Me<<

·
Registered
17 Posts
my original left tail light had this fog light, but before 10,000 km i replaced the it with american tail light because i want my rear to look symmetrical withouth changing anything electric, now i used to flash people coming from the back like maniac with highlight, maybe if you want, you can replace your taillight with one that have fog light but you need to add the switch to the steering wheel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts