5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have an 2017 Impreza 5D and I was wondering why they made part of red rear lights not avaliable to turn on.

And then, there is way to fix that? the electrical connections are there?

Im talking about the red part marked in the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello all,

I have an 2017 Impreza 5D and I was wondering why they made part of red rear lights not avaliable to turn on.

And then, there is way to fix that? the electrical connections are there?

Im talking about the red part marked in the pic
most small SUV's/Hatchs are like that merely because the automaker is too lazy/doesnt see the need for that to light up.

also, most cars need red reflective material in the case of your car being parked somewhere to bring attention to other drivers that theres a car there.

as far as electrical connections the only one that comes to mind and that i have seen are wires that run to the reverse lights.
if you could find a way to link up the parking lights on the chassis of the car to that and give it a nice extension onto the hatch, let us know!

·
Registered
149 Posts
...also, most cars need red reflective material .............
But it's not reflective. I was surprised and a little scared when I discovered that the ONLY reflective material is the two little things inset into the bumper down low. the rear SIDE reflectors are bigger and up high.

Unless your state uses a reflective license plate it's really kinda scary.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Its because they are cheap cars....if they were to light up that means subaru would have to engineer light sockets into the housing, add additional length to already shady wiring harnesses, add more harness clips to the body to hold the extra harness and then hope like **** the associate installing the harness doesn?t rip the connector off somehow to have to be fixed by a different associate.....all of this just keeps adding and adding to the price! Its a sub 25k car, not a 70k mercedes....were it a high end luxury car, you better bet I would expect all the areas that look like they need to light up to actually light up!

·
Registered
78 Posts
What you describe is how I imagine certain features are added to cars. :D Best to just leave those lights as is unless you're willing to pay a lot more for a luxury car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its because they are cheap cars....if they were to light up that means subaru would have to engineer light sockets into the housing, add additional length to already shady wiring harnesses, add more harness clips to the body to hold the extra harness and then hope like **** the associate installing the harness doesn?t rip the connector off somehow to have to be fixed by a different associate.....all of this just keeps adding and adding to the price! Its a sub 25k car, not a 70k mercedes....were it a high end luxury car, you better bet I would expect all the areas that look like they need to light up to actually light up!

Bingo. You nailed it! The thing is, this is a cheap (er) car that I will be thrilled to own. Anything outstanding or should I say new in the way of recalls for the car? Hopefully any new 2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0i you buy now has everything buttoned up tight and already done in the way of recalls.

·
Banned
115 Posts
These are good little cars, the radio issues of the past still are hit and miss according to this site. Supplier problems are pretty much out of subarus control after the car leaves the factory but if an issue is caught in house it is fixed asap! We have supplier reps on hand that track issues for us as well as sia appointed associates who deal solely with supplier issues. The hardest part is always determining whether a problem is a supplier defect or if someone didn?t raise their hand when then screwed something up to let someone know! There are soo many visual and mechanical functionality checks on these cars that I bet every piece gets looked at 3 times before it leaves the shop floor.

·
Registered
320 Posts
In fairness, I've been looking at other cars as I drive around since seeing this thread and even on cars costing 2-3x as much you see similar things with the tail lights.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The irony is that while it's all about cosmetics, it's getting harder and harder to distinguish one manufacturer from another, at least when it comes to compact hatchbacks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, thanks for the info.

Dont understand me, I know is just a cosmetic detail.
I just was curious about the reason and I didnt think that thing could make a big difference in the price.

Also I was hoping the post of some Impreza owners who improved some cool solution to take advantage of that red part of the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It would have been cool if they did light up. All we have is a C-Shape lighting at the edge of the rear taillights. I noticed some of the new Kia's & BMW's has the red taillights lit up & glowing all around at night.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Subaru has designed such a taillight. It was shown on the Impreza Future Sport Concept at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show. If it should ever make it onto a production model, maybe it could be sourced.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
@Derrick0580...actually the 2018 Camry, Legacy and Sonata look nothing alike...not even close.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts