5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2020 Impreza Base Hatchback 5-Speed
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to find more info on whether adding a rear sway bar to the base model is possible. My understanding is that:
  1. the base model does not have a rear sway bar
  2. changing the rear sway bar involves dropping the rear subframe
I still am unclear on if it's even possible to add to a base model. Does anyone know if it is possible, and if so has anyone attempted & what does labor look like given the need to drop the subframe (and also what parts are needed for the base)

· Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
755 Posts
Also curious, the base model handles terribly on freeways.
Installing a rear sway is rather easy. It shouldn't take longer than 1 or 2 hours. I did mine while installing a lift, but the concept is the same. Put the car on two jacks in the rear, loosen up the subframe bolts, and stick the sway bar through. Attach endlinks and tighten everything. The end. Here's a thread on the subject: [Help Requested] Base Lift + Sway Bars

PS: car handles like shit because you don't have a Perrin Steering Dampner. There's a deadzone in the steering. It keeps wandering. After steering dampner I can drive with 1 finger no sway bar.

· Registered
2019 Sport 5MT
95 Posts
Installing a rear sway is rather easy. It shouldn't take longer than 1 or 2 hours. I did mine while installing a lift, but the concept is the same. Put the car on two jacks in the rear, loosen up the subframe bolts, and stick the sway bar through. Attach endlinks and tighten everything. The end. Here's a thread on the subject: [Help Requested] Base Lift + Sway Bars

PS: car handles like shit because you don't have a Perrin Steering Dampner. There's a deadzone in the steering. It keeps wandering. After steering dampner I can drive with 1 finger no sway bar.
+1 on the Steering Dampener - it made a significant difference in handling.

· Registered
5 Posts
I am currently driving 09 Civic Si with suspension upgrade for handling. Ordered 2022 Base Impreza Hatch coming in February. Is this a need for 2022 models? I do not need a fast car but good handling makes driving much more fun than speed.

Currently thinking about Strut Tower Bar (nameless or STI brand), rear sway bar (looks like a pain), and now looks like I need this. Anything else I should consider? I’m not going to drop the car nor coil overs... Enough potholes year around and like to have soft ride on highway. My exprience always have been better tire + strut tower/sway bar is the best bang for the buck and the most i need for mod.

· Registered
'17 Base Sedan 5mt
63 Posts
Looking to add a rear sway bar to my base soon, does anyone know if there are any options for aftermarket rear sway bars? Can't seem to find anything in searches, just ones for the older models.

· Registered
'17 Base Sedan 5mt
63 Posts
It seems like the only option is to purchase Sports rear sway bar.
Bummer, main reason I went with the base was to skip the OEM parts and go straight for aftermarket performance parts. In that case might hold off a bit longer and see if the MY22 WRX sway bar fits, likely going to be some aftermarket options available for that. I wonder if the Crosstrek sway bars are any stiffer.

Edit: Looks like the front and rear stabilizer bars on the Crosstreks are slightly thicker, though not sure if they will fit.

As per this thread:

2017+ impreza
front 22mm / rear 14mm
2018+ crosstrek and 5th gen. forester
front 24mm / rear 16mm

Also seems there may be an aftermarket 22mm option that fits, along with a front 25.4mm / rear 17mm from HardRace

· Registered
5 Posts
Bummer, main reason I went with the base was to skip the OEM parts and go straight for aftermarket performance parts. In that case might hold off a bit longer and see if the MY22 WRX sway bar fits, likely going to be some aftermarket options available for that. I wonder if the Crosstrek sway bars are any stiffer.

Edit: Looks like the front and rear stabilizer bars on the Crosstreks are slightly thicker, though not sure if they will fit.

As per this thread:

2017+ impreza
front 22mm / rear 14mm
2018+ crosstrek and 5th gen. forester
front 24mm / rear 16mm

Also seems there may be an aftermarket 22mm option that fits, along with a front 25.4mm / rear 17mm from HardRace
Also the same post says
“Got to make corrections about this
The front sway bar is identical to sgp XV and 5th gen forester
But rear sway of impreza has different shape compared to sgp XV and 5th gen forester.
Maybe the most convenient way to upgrade is to get a HardRace sway bar set.
Sorry for the previous misleading information.”

looks like the hard race is the only way other then a sports stabilizer

· Registered
'17 Base Sedan 5mt
63 Posts
Also the same post says
“Got to make corrections about this
The front sway bar is identical to sgp XV and 5th gen forester
But rear sway of impreza has different shape compared to sgp XV and 5th gen forester.
Maybe the most convenient way to upgrade is to get a HardRace sway bar set.
Sorry for the previous misleading information.”

looks like the hard race is the only way other then a sports stabilizer
Good catch, was wondering if the Hardrace was worth the extra money for just a mm over the XV, but that simplifies the choice

· Registered
5 Posts

what’s the thickness of the sports sway bar and how long do you think it’d take to install the sway bar itself?

thank you,

· Registered
755 Posts
what’s the thickness of the sports sway bar and how long do you think it’d take to install the sway bar itself?

thank you,
I installed it with a lift. I presume if you prepare and understand the job it wouldn't take longer than an hour. No idea about the thickness, not the type of information I keep on hand.

· Registered
12 Posts
I am currently driving 09 Civic Si with suspension upgrade for handling. Ordered 2022 Base Impreza Hatch coming in February. Is this a need for 2022 models? I do not need a fast car but good handling makes driving much more fun than speed.

Currently thinking about Strut Tower Bar (nameless or STI brand), rear sway bar (looks like a pain), and now looks like I need this. Anything else I should consider? I’m not going to drop the car nor coil overs... Enough potholes year around and like to have soft ride on highway. My exprience always have been better tire + strut tower/sway bar is the best bang for the buck and the most i need for mod.
I drive a 2019 impreza base mt5 and iv never had issues with my steering or the drive on high way speeds. I drive my car hard. Very hard i push it to the limits on curvy roads and it definitely needs suspension upgrades but for high way driving its fine.

· Registered
5 Posts
I drive a 2019 impreza base mt5 and iv never had issues with my steering or the drive on high way speeds. I drive my car hard. Very hard i push it to the limits on curvy roads and it definitely needs suspension upgrades but for high way driving its fine.
Thank you. I ended up not purchasing the vehicle and kept my Civic. It was keep being delayed and I had to put some money into keep the civic up and running (new set of tires, clutch, and brake replacements). Civic runs great and decided to drive until it gives up on me.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys i went on the haedrace website and i connot find the sway bars to the impreza anywhere on there. Can someone give me a link?
Thank you. I ended up not purchasing the vehicle and kept my Civic. It was keep being delayed and I had to put some money into keep the civic up and running (new set of tires, clutch, and brake replacements). Civic runs great and decided to drive until it gives up on me.
Thats smart man. I love my car but i always get the thought of how nice it would be to not have a car payment. I always think about getting a civic with the k20 or k24 engine in it and building it. Would be fun fast and no payments. But i just havent done it.

· Registered
258 Posts

Quick shout out, Been following you a long time now and you’ve been most helpful.

with this, do you have to completely drop the subframe or did you just loosen the bolts? Seen it done a few different ways now.

thanks!

· Registered
755 Posts
Quick shout out, Been following you a long time now and you’ve been most helpful.

with this, do you have to completely drop the subframe or did you just loosen the bolts? Seen it done a few different ways now.

thanks!
Jack up the rear and loosen the bolts enough to stick the bar through. Doubt it will take you more than an hour. Its really not a big deal to install if you prepare the torque specs and where to loosen and which way to put the bar. Torque specs and subframe drop bolts are in the rallitek lift manual.

Overall cost was:
$584 Rallitek rear sway bar lift on black friday
$30 used rear sway bar from Ukranian guy in Sacramento (and a few other parts)
Crosstrek end links were 40 or 50 bucks used on ebay

· Registered
258 Posts
Jack up the rear and loosen the bolts enough to stick the bar through. Doubt it will take you more than an hour. Its really not a big deal to install if you prepare the torque specs and where to loosen and which way to put the bar. Torque specs and subframe drop bolts are in the rallitek lift manual.
I’m actually putting the sport sway bar in so won’t have a manual! I’m dropping 1 inch instead of a lift!

edit: let me know if you have the specs handy. Looking to get an electric torque wrench.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts