5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2023 base hatch. I see discussion about adding a rear sway bar. I don't have the car here, at the moment, or I would look, to see if there is one. Maybe owners just want to install a heftier one. Please advise. Thanks.

· Registered
2023 Impreza base sedan 5 spd
17 Posts
I have a 2023 base sedan w/ mt. I've been looking and after speaking with a mechanic. His opinion is 1. order a part for a '22 and hope if fits. 2. wait a while until vendors update for a '23.

I'm still kinda torn. My car with 8.5 x 18 rims and 235/40 R18 handles like a go cart. However, I would like a bit less body roll. What I don't know is will adding roll bars (front and back) as well as shock tower bars (front and back) make the car ride like it's a skateboard? Dunno. I'm still researching. I don't want any extreme mods, just improve a bit on what's already pretty sweet. The board tends to have do-it-yourselfers, which i'm not, so getting under the car to do the try-and-see work isn't an option i'm wanting to do.

· Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2023 base hatch. I see discussion about adding a rear sway bar. I don't have the car here, at the moment, or I would look, to see if there is one. Maybe owners just want to install a heftier one. Please advise. Thanks.
Also, the mechanic said mine had front sway bar but not rear. On a base model, that sounds odd to me but I'll take his word as he gets paid to do this stuff. :)

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
318 Posts
Also, the mechanic said mine had front sway bar but not rear. On a base model, that sounds odd to me but I'll take his word as he gets paid to do this stuff. :)
Correct, base models don't have the rear sway bars. But the mounting locations are still there, you would just need the hardware and the sway bar.

I don't think the design would gave changed between '22 and '23 models as the majority of changes are happening in '24 for the new model. There are other owners here who have done this install on the base models pulling parts from the upper trims. You can order the parts directly from Subaru, lookup of the parts numbers are all you would need. Use the search function of this forum, someone made a full writeup containing every step and part you'll need to do the install.

· Registered
17 Posts
Correct, base models don't have the rear sway bars. But the mounting locations are still there, you would just need the hardware and the sway bar.

I don't think the design would gave changed between '22 and '23 models as the majority of changes are happening in '24 for the new model. There are other owners here who have done this install on the base models pulling parts from the upper trims. You can order the parts directly from Subaru, lookup of the parts numbers are all you would need. Use the search function of this forum, someone made a full writeup containing every step and part you'll need to do the install.
I think the Sport trim has sway bars? If so, have you added bars that are more firm? I'm wondering if the bars make the ride uncomfortably stiff? Or since it minimizes the 'independence' of an independent suspension, is the gain an overall negative? So many questions!

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
318 Posts
I have not upgraded my sway bars. The stock ones are perfectly stiff for me. Only time I regret the stiffness is the time I hit too deep a pothole. In which case I'm more worried about the wheels than the bump.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2023 base sedan w/ mt. I've been looking and after speaking with a mechanic. His opinion is 1. order a part for a '22 and hope if fits. 2. wait a while until vendors update for a '23.

I'm still kinda torn. My car with 8.5 x 18 rims and 235/40 R18 handles like a go cart. However, I would like a bit less body roll. What I don't know is will adding roll bars (front and back) as well as shock tower bars (front and back) make the car ride like it's a skateboard? Dunno. I'm still researching. I don't want any extreme mods, just improve a bit on what's already pretty sweet. The board tends to have do-it-yourselfers, which i'm not, so getting under the car to do the try-and-see work isn't an option i'm wanting to do.
Like the go cart analogy. Handling of the Impreza, sold me. Was disappointed to learn, the rear, has no roll bar on the base. Will go with the sport or aftermarket bar. Strut bars worked on my "M" BMW. Will pass on that, for the Sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts