5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've located the two front tie-downs near my front wheels, but I cannot locate the rear tie-downs even after consulting the manual while on my back slightly under the car. It mentions that there is also a plug that I must remove to access the tie-down. I'm sure I'd be able to find it if I jacked my car up and got on my creeper, but that seems a bit excessive just to locate some tie-downs. Can anybody help me out?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for using these tie-downs? I need to transport some 15-ft long pieces of crown moulding. I am using S ratchet straps to attach them to my crossbars, but also wanted to tie the ends to the front and rear tie-downs. I'm guessing I should just wrap some rope around the boards a few times, thread the rope through the tie-down hook, and then tie a knot using a trucker's hitch or something. Not sure if there's a specific knot video I can watch to help out with this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've added front tie down straps that use existing body panel attachment bolts. These are 1" nylon straps with a grommet at the bolt end. I use them for kayak bow attachment. I've not seen any rear attachment points.

Your molding should be firmly taped or tied together to make a stronger unit.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,
I've located the two front tie-downs near my front wheels, but I cannot locate the rear tie-downs even after consulting the manual while on my back slightly under the car. It mentions that there is also a plug that I must remove to access the tie-down. I'm sure I'd be able to find it if I jacked my car up and got on my creeper, but that seems a bit excessive just to locate some tie-downs. Can anybody help me out?
Does the information regarding "Towing hooks and tie-down hooks/holes" on pages 9-14 through 9-16 of the manual provide the information you are looking for? There is a diagram on page 9-16 of where those rear tie-down holes

"1) Rear tie-down hole The rear tie-down holes are located near each of the jack-up reinforcements. There is a plug in each rear tie-down hole.
To use the rear tie-down holes, remove the plugs. After using the rear tie-down holes, return the plugs to their original places."

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've made mine from hardware store 1" wide nylon or polypro strapping, melting a hole in the ends with a soldering iron and stamping a brass grommet into the hole and attachment end.

Try Rutabaga......online canoe and kayak retailer.....they have them. The ones shown in the photo were from Rutabaga....pre-made and a gift from a friend.

There are bolts that can be used along the rear interior hatchback door opening that allow attachment of these hold downs......just pop off the decorative bolt cover caps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts